Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

R1 R/R Install Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 09:14 PM
Squid

VTRBandit is on a distinguished road
R1 R/R Install Questions...

Hey guys,

I have been thinking my regulator rectifier has been going for a while so I decided to do the swap before it blows on me out on the road somewhere.

My question is, I have bought an R1 R/R and it have 5 wires coming out and had a very similar hook up as the stock R/R. I sanded down the connection on the new R/R and it plugged right in, all wires match up and everything, can I just keep it like that and not blow up my bike when I go to start for the first time?? I hadnt heard of anyone doing this and rather having to solder everything after splicing the wires...

Thanks for the input!!
Old 05-12-2007, 09:26 PM
Squid

khanawalt is on a distinguished road
Be careful!

I thought about doing the same thing, but after I looked at the diagram here:

http://vtr1000f.wickidnet.com/

I realized that the red and green wires are switched. This is using the 98-01 Yamaha R1 R/R. Now, I'm not sure that it makes a difference, but I wouldn't try it that way. Maybe some electrical geniuses here can clear that up for you.

I just removed the existing blade connectors from the original plug and they plugged right into the R1 R/R individually. If you insert a small screwdriver into the back of the plug, you can release the catch and the blade connector pulls out easily.

Originally Posted by VTRBandit
Hey guys,

I have been thinking my regulator rectifier has been going for a while so I decided to do the swap before it blows on me out on the road somewhere.

My question is, I have bought an R1 R/R and it have 5 wires coming out and had a very similar hook up as the stock R/R. I sanded down the connection on the new R/R and it plugged right in, all wires match up and everything, can I just keep it like that and not blow up my bike when I go to start for the first time?? I hadnt heard of anyone doing this and rather having to solder everything after splicing the wires...

Thanks for the input!!
Old 05-13-2007, 04:53 PM
Squid

VTRBandit is on a distinguished road
Yea walt, you were right, I dont know what I was looking at when I thought that they matched right up with the correct wires and everything. However, all I had to was remove the green/red from the wire harness on the bike and swap them. Now the plug fits right in after a 2 minute modification with a dremel. Ill let yall know how it ends up working out for the long run and Ill post pics of the install so maybe other people can benefit from it as well and not have to modify the wires so much when (not if) their R/R's go out!
Old 05-13-2007, 09:01 PM
Josh
Superstock

viperkillertt
Originally Posted by khanawalt
I thought about doing the same thing, but after I looked at the diagram here:

http://vtr1000f.wickidnet.com/

I realized that the red and green wires are switched. This is using the 98-01 Yamaha R1 R/R. Now, I'm not sure that it makes a difference, but I wouldn't try it that way. Maybe some electrical geniuses here can clear that up for you.

I just removed the existing blade connectors from the original plug and they plugged right into the R1 R/R individually. If you insert a small screwdriver into the back of the plug, you can release the catch and the blade connector pulls out easily.
hehe easily, yeah, right hehe
i destroyed that thing! there are just bits and pieces in my drive way now

This is what happens when Josh, Pruning shears and very little patience collide I did try the screwdriver idea, but gave up quickly