R/R from Rick's Motorsports - Great Experience

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 08:14 AM
Squid

justinjbaron is on a distinguished road
R/R from Rick's Motorsports - Great Experience

Hi all,

I needed to replace my R/R this week.
I live in NH, needed the part fast, and found that Rick's Motorsport Electrics had a Yamaha R1 style mosfet unit available in stock.

This is the part I was looking at:
Rick's Motorsport Electrics

Drove out to pick it up - and asked the folks if they had any connectors I could purchase to help with fitting to my SuperHawk. At that point they were wondering why I was purchasing a Yamaha R1 style R/R. I mentioned that the R1 R/R was known to work for the SuperHawk.

Turned out I was talking with the owner, who immediately commented that he had something that could really help me to get this installed quickly and easily. Asked if I could come back in a half hour.

Had lunch, came back, and they handed me this:

...it is essentially the same R/R but instead of the two Yamaha style plugs, they were able to terminate the stator and power/ground wires directly to the unit somehow. They attached the Honda-style stator plug/connector directly to the yellow wires and attached some ring terminals to the ends of the power/ground wires. The idea is to not use the harness that normally plugs into the Honda R/R at all - run the yellow wires directly to stator plug in front of the battery - and the power/ground directly to the battery.

Removed the OEM unit and installed this unit in the same manner as mentioned here:
Firestorm / SuperHawk (VTR1000F) Regulator Rectifier Modification

...Rick's had made the cables to the length I specified (from memory) and they turned out to be EXACTLY the right length.

Here are a few photos:

And the finished product:

The new unit works perfectly and the installation was excellent. I did not have to crimp or solder or modify or cut even one cable to install this. The cables and connectors are of very nice quality.

Rick's asked if I could share some photos of this on the SH, that they would consider offering this part for sale on their web site. I am just going to point them to this thread. I really can't say enough about my experience with them - very friendly and very helpful.

I did want to mention that I did need to purchase a shorter M6 bolt from Home Depot to use this R/R with the top mounting hole originally used by OEM R/R. It needs to be about 1cm shorter than the factory bolt I'd say. Installed with a couple of lock washers and it is very sturdy with just one bolt. I will check to see if the heat does anything to the black composite under-fairing material that it is resting on, but don't expect any issues.

I'd definitely recommend reaching out to them if someone is looking to install one of the mosfet style R/R units in their SH.

This is my first new thread - thanks to everyone for all the great info here.

Take care,

Justin

Last edited by justinjbaron; 07-04-2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:24 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Good luck with it, I do hope it works out.. BUT Ricks motorsport is a known shady supplier of stators and regulators....

This from personal experiences, and shared experiences of folks i know and trust in the motorcycle business.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:31 AM
Squid

justinjbaron is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by E.Marquez
Good luck with it, I do hope it works out.. BUT Ricks motorsport is a known shady supplier of stators and regulators....

This from personal experiences, and shared experiences of folks i know and trust in the motorcycle business.

So far I have only good things to say. I'll be sure to post back if I have a failure, but there is a 1 year warranty on the part and overall I have good feelings about it.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:45 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by justinjbaron
So far I have only good things to say. I'll be sure to post back if I have a failure, but there is a 1 year warranty on the part and overall I have good feelings about it.
In all fairness, any manufacture can have a bad run of parts that tarnish public opinion.. If Ricks has gotten past that, All the better for the motorcycle community.

One thing you may watch for... that OEM plug,, it's a non sealed design, and partial cause for R/R failures IMHO... One of the advantages of going to an OEM style modern MOSFET R/R and then buy and install a like modern OEM style plug, is you get a sealed set up that keeps moisture and other contaminates out of the terminals.
Using a electrical contact grease on an open style plug will likely help the issue.

Again, best of luck, hope it works out for you..
Old 07-04-2012, 12:01 PM
Squid

gotta_gofast is on a distinguished road
In the Yamaha Banshee world, there have been many people with Rick's Motorsports (ricky stator) who eventually return back to stock components. There are hundreds of threads asking how to troubleshoot their RM electronics that are less than a few years old. Good luck to you but keep a vigilant eye out for issues.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:13 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by gotta_gofast
In the Yamaha Banshee world, there have been many people with Rick's Motorsports (ricky stator) who eventually return back to stock components. There are hundreds of threads asking how to troubleshoot their RM electronics that are less than a few years old. Good luck to you but keep a vigilant eye out for issues.
You have two different company's mixed up.. Ricks Motor sports is ONE company who i am referring to in this thread above.

Ricky Stator is another company altogether, that in my experiences is a stand up company with a great product.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:33 PM
aja
SuperSport

aja is on a distinguished road
Would there be any issues with running the r/r wires directly to stator and battery?

Also, like marquez said, seal up that plug on the harness end so the oem wires are not ruined if you ever need to use the plug.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:15 PM
Squid

gotta_gofast is on a distinguished road
Maybe they focus on the MC world more than the ATV world then. Both a Ricks Motorsports and Ricky Stator high output Banshee stator are identical (I've owned both).... and both suffer the same issues within a year or two. But the abuse on engine parts off-road is 10X that of a pavement bound motor.

The insulation protecting the stator windings cracks/peels causing a short fault or ground fault depending on the location of bare wire. Again, these issues could be an off-road related issue that in no way carries over to Motorcycles.