General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Tucson Rick wants to say hello

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 06:03 PM
Squid

2sonrk is on a distinguished road
Tucson Rick wants to say hello

I'm new to the site, just wanted to say quick hello. I have a 2002 VTR1000f with 26,000 miles on it, love the V-twins. Living here in Tucson, we have a lot of cool roads to ride. I moved to Tucson from Monterey, California two years ago, had some great roads to ride there too......Rick
Old 08-11-2006, 06:07 PM
Superstock

Scumbag is an unknown quantity at this point
howdy......
Old 08-11-2006, 06:15 PM
Squid
Squid

Vincent
Welcome to the forum. That road looks like fun. Tucson is a nice place. I have family near Phoenix, in Surprise, but have never ridden in that area.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:20 PM
Squid

The best roads in Tucson are in the 4 mountain ranges that surround us. The Mount Lemmon Road is the best I've ever been on. It's 22 miles to the top, very twisty, very wide and very smooth. You go from 2,500 feet at the base to 8,500 feet at the top.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:56 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice! I've always wanted to check out Arizona but the wife isn't into all the brown. Oh and welcome.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:02 PM
Squid

The only grass you'll find in Tucson is on the golf courses. Lots of cactus and schrubs. When we ride up to the top of Mount Lemmon, there lots of trees, beautiful area. If you can tolerate the oppressive heat four about four months, the other eight months are great riding weather.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:17 PM
MotoGP

Ummm....I live in FLA. it's only 97 degrees and 80% Humidity! Yeah I know all about heat besides you have a dry heat, translation it's still friggen HOT but you don't sweat as much.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:43 PM
Squid

From July to the end of August we have the monsoon season and we do get a little humidity. nothing like you get in Florida but still uncomfortable. If anyone ever tells you that dry heat at 105 degrees isn't hot, they're lying.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:51 PM
MotoGP

Yep hot is hot no matter what!! I don't mind it much but the wife can't stand the heat. I'd rather sweat to death than be cold, 50 is cold to me but my wife likes the cold. I told her I WILL NOT move any further north then N.C. but I think we might be moving to GA. within a year. Damn it's gonna suck my first winter I used to live in CT. but hated the cold. We get rain almost every afternoon around 3 in the summer for about an hour or 2 and then it gets REAL steamy.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:22 AM
Squid

Chilly996 is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the forum. We have some nice roads here in Wisconsin especially in the Kettle Moraine area.

I think it's hot everywhere this year.
Old 08-12-2006, 11:31 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the forum!
Old 08-12-2006, 11:42 AM
Superstock

BirdofParadise is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome to the forum. :-)
Old 08-12-2006, 03:47 PM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome to the nest.

Virginia is green. Mountain roads nice. Cops suck... at least when they're in uniform... like everywhere i suppose.
Old 08-12-2006, 03:57 PM
MotoGP

Yeah my Wife's best freind lives up there near DC and wants us to move there. Too damn expensive and COLD!!!
Old 08-12-2006, 05:24 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Come on up to Georgia superhawk22. There are great mountain roads in the north of the state and I have some buddies who own a motorcycle shop who go to Jennings about 6 or more times a year.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:55 PM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by superhawk22
Yeah my Wife's best freind lives up there near DC and wants us to move there. Too damn expensive and COLD!!!
It's only cold if you THINK it's cold!

Could not live in FLA. I could adjust to the heat, but the roads... gotta have curves & elevation changes. Now N. GA., that would be doable. Year round decent weather,too.
Old 08-13-2006, 06:59 AM
Back Marker

3D02 is on a distinguished road
The best roads in Tucson are in the 4 mountain ranges that surround us. The Mount Lemmon Road is the best I've ever been on.
I rode Mt. Lemmon at the end of June. If you are up for a longer ride go run Salt River canyon out by Globe.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:40 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by killer5280
Come on up to Georgia superhawk22. There are great mountain roads in the north of the state and I have some buddies who own a motorcycle shop who go to Jennings about 6 or more times a year.
Where you at killer? I just went up there a couple of weeks ago to check out the area just north of Atlanta,(Suwanee, Cumming), seriously thinking of moving there. What's your freinds names I might know them and have you checked out BSB,(blokessportbike), good place to hook up for some riding.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:39 AM
Squid

3D, we've riden up to Globe and Salt River Canyon several times, loved the roads, a lot cooler too. The ride from Winkleman over to Superior is fun also. I hear the roads up around Prescott are pretty good too.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:18 AM
Squid

superbird is on a distinguished road
2sonrk, welcome. Foggy as hell here this morning in Santa Cruz. Should break by noon though then it'll be time to ride through the redwoods. Have a good ride yourself today, if you go.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:26 AM
Squid

Bird, I lived in Monterey for 25 years before moving to Tucson. We used to ride over to Santa Cruz and head up from Felton to the parking lot above Saratoga on highway 9. Sometimes we we would head up to Alice's Restaurant on Skyline. Frequently we would ride down the coast on Sunday mornings through Big Sur and on to Cambria for brunch.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:49 AM
Back Marker

I hear the roads up around Prescott are pretty good too.
Lots of good roads over there. Although I have not ridden up around there, I can remember riding in the car as a kid from Prescott Valley area to Jerome quite a few times. Lots o' twisties.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:23 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by superhawk22
Where you at killer? I just went up there a couple of weeks ago to check out the area just north of Atlanta,(Suwanee, Cumming), seriously thinking of moving there. What's your freinds names I might know them and have you checked out BSB,(blokessportbike), good place to hook up for some riding.
I live in Atlanta-Decatur, actually-which is about 4 miles east of downtown Atlanta. My friends' names are Rod Burr and Brad Duncan. They run MSP Cycles and lately have been racing SV650's and air cooled Ducati 1000's. They're both fast and often end up racing each other for wins in their classes.
I haven't checked out BSB, but I'll do it now.
There are good roads about an hour from Suwanee and a little less from Cumming.
Old 08-13-2006, 06:14 PM
Back Marker

Nanotech is on a distinguished road
Welcome! As a new member myself I have found this forum very helpful.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:37 AM
Back Marker

RonVTR
Welcome... If I remember right the road over "A" mountain was a good ride. Hmmm... and so was the road to Jerome and 89 between Congress Junction and Presscott. Everyone here would like those roads
Old 08-14-2006, 09:09 AM
Back Marker

So many roads, so little time. Granted I've never been to "the Dragon", but I've wondered why so much has been written about it when there are so many places elsewhere that are just as good and without the crowds. Arizona was mentioned of course, but southern Utah is bueno too.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:28 AM
Squid

daedalusfalling
2sonrk, you've got to let me know which are the best Tucson roads. I live in Phoenix. If I want some mountain lovin', all I have to do is turn north. The roads are best near Payson, Sedona, and Prescott, although I did see some fabulous canyons when I took a road trip to Vegas.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:57 AM
Les
Squid

Les
Tucson roads and Mt. Lemmon

I live in Tucson too. Mt. Lemmon highway is nice but the price you pay for a mistake is serious. There's no shoulder or dirt to run off on if you don't make a corner. Because of this you have to go slower else chances are that you will pay the ultimate price. If you want to ride fast in the corners go out to the track a few hours east in New Mexico. If you don't make a corner there just stand the bike up and go off into the dirt. No cops handing out tickets either.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:47 PM
Squid

Boy, Les you have that right, making a mistake on Mount Lemmon can be disasterous. We usually ride the mountain at a quick but safe speed, never going over the yellow line. I've heard the track over in New Mexico is a lot of fun. When I lived in Monterey we used to do the riding schools a couple of times a year. Les, do you have a smoked shield on your hawk? We met a guy last year at the base of Mount Lemmon with a Hawk, red with a smoked front windshield. We were riding a CBR1000RR, a Aprilla Tuono and my Hawk. Here's a pick I took of the bikes.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:33 PM
Les
Squid

Les
No. Not me. Nice bunch of bikes though. Did you ever ride the Tuono? If so how does it compare to the Hawk?

Quick Reply: Tucson Rick wants to say hello