Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

R/R Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 04:19 PM
Iron Rocket
Squid

Twin Kat is on a distinguished road
Red face R/R Question

Okay, here is the deal. Last October the Hawk died on me. The GF and i were riding the battlefields of Gettysburg. Going thru town got a smell of something electrical burning, thought it was cars around me. Stopped and got off to stretch. Went to start it up,had juice but it would not start. It just clicked. So the GF push started me down the hill. Made the 30 min ride home and shut the bike off. When i went to start it, no juice at all. Dead battery. So i figured it was the R/R. I was layed off at the time and didnt have the cash to fix it so i put her away for the winter. So today i brought her out of the garage and started to work on it. I want to make sure it is the R/R before i do anything. Im not sure but is this the original R/R. If not the R/R what else could it be.

100_0018.jpg?t=1237677468

Last edited by Twin Kat; 03-21-2009 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:26 PM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

oahu hawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Twin Kat
Okay, here is the deal. Last October the Hawk died on me. The GF and i were riding the battlefields of Gettysburg. Going thru town got a smell of something electrical burning, thought it was cars around me. Stopped on got off to stretch. Went to start it up,had juice but it would not start. It just clicked. So the GF push started me down the hill. Made the 30 min ride home and shut the bike off. When i went to start it, no juice at all. Dead battery. So i figured it was the R/R. I was layed off at the time and didnt have the cash to fix it so i put her away for the winter. So today i brought her out of the garage and started to work on it. I want to make sure it is the R/R before i do anything. Im not sure but is this the original R/R. If not the R/R what else could it be.

I don't believe the early Super Hawk R/Rs were finned...
Old 03-21-2009, 04:36 PM
Squid

bikerpiker is on a distinguished road
Mines is a '98 ,the R/R has NOT got any cooling fins ,that looks like a updated item, or a Yamaha R1 or R6 reg/rec

I really must do this popular modification myself !
Old 03-21-2009, 04:58 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
If you put her away for a year with a dead battery then you can probably start with a new one. Next check the connector to your R/R and smell/look for burnt stuff, then test the R/R (procedure's in the manual I believe). You should be able to locate the source of the problem fairly easily.

And yes, that is the later finned version of the stock VTR R/R.