Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

R/R and CCT?

Old 10-09-2008, 06:15 AM
Squid

armyguy8381 is on a distinguished road
R/R and CCT?

Ok I have PM some peope on here and thank you for your responces. Need alittle more info though. I have a 98 with 24K on it. I ride it like I stole it and Have never had an issue with it until 6 months ago. I think it was the R/R thing everyone is talking about.. I was riding along when Poof the bike cut out. Popped the 30 AMP main fuse. Anyways I got a used R/R off a running Hawk. But is this going to continue to happen. If so what's the deal with the R 1 R/R. Does it just plug in? And I noticed I can't touch my R/R after riding. It's hot as Heck. Also my kick stand switch was causing me issues. Cutting the bike out froom mid to top end. Anyone else ever deal with this. And the dreaded CCT? Is this something I need to address anytime soon? Please advise. I live in the Cincy area and always looking for someone to run with.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:37 AM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Cleveland is on a distinguished road
R/R has a sticky in the "Knowledge base"... https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=14380

I suggest reading a few of the "knowledge base" items, you will find most of your answers there.

Kickstand is from vibrations of the engine causing the switch to send faulty "kill" signals. May be dirty contacts, loose spring, or just a bad (or going bad) switch...

From what I understand CCTs are always a concern, though NOT ALL THEM GO BAD. More than enough, though, to raise alarm...
Old 10-09-2008, 06:54 AM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Cleveland is on a distinguished road
BTW, I did the 2001 R1 R/R swap a couple months ago.. no issues so far..
Old 10-09-2008, 06:58 AM
Squid

armyguy8381 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the Info. I'm trying to up load some pics and for some reason the dang puter is giving me crap. Oh well.. So does the R1 R/R just plug straight in? Or do I have some wiring to do?
Old 10-09-2008, 08:03 AM
SuperSport

Death Cattle is on a distinguished road
all you have to do (if you dont want to buy a new wiring loom for the back of your bike) is cut off the honda connector, wire your own quick connects on, wrap each one in electrical tape, and plug them in to the new r/r. its very simple. just follow the links that cleveland posted and you'll find the page that will show you exactly how to do it.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:31 AM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
You don't even have to cut the Honda connector off.

With the right tool, you can remove the pins from the connector and simply shrink wrap the spade connectors and plug them in to the R1 unit. Order of the yellow wires doesn't matter.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:55 AM
Squid

YellowBird is on a distinguished road
OK. There have been way too many threads about R/R's and CCTs for me not to do something. I have a 98 with very low miles 13K and it has never given me any trouble at all. The swap doesn't look difficult at all so I thought I'd start there. Can someone shed some light on the best way to procure the Yahama R/R for replacement? Is there a best year to get? Do I just go to a dealer and order one?
And, will having the CCT checked or adjusted at 15k and changed at 30K a good way to not have it fail. Or, is it just a time bomb waiting to happen and there is nothing to do to stop it?
Old 10-09-2008, 10:24 AM
Superstock

rbrais is on a distinguished road
A 2001 R/R for an R-1 or R/6 (same R/R) will work.

From what I understand, the CCT's wear out, so I doubt any adjustments will help. I have 20k on my bike and will be replacing them at around 25k to be safe. Don't think this board has had any failures before 25k.

Will be doing the R/R conversion this weekend, so I'll let you know if I find any tricks/tips.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:57 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
You don't even have to cut the Honda connector off.

With the right tool, you can remove the pins from the connector and simply shrink wrap the spade connectors and plug them in to the R1 unit. Order of the yellow wires doesn't matter.
I just used a small screwdriver.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:14 PM
SuperSport

Death Cattle is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by YellowBird
OK. There have been way too many threads about R/R's and CCTs for me not to do something. I have a 98 with very low miles 13K and it has never given me any trouble at all. The swap doesn't look difficult at all so I thought I'd start there. Can someone shed some light on the best way to procure the Yahama R/R for replacement? Is there a best year to get? Do I just go to a dealer and order one?
And, will having the CCT checked or adjusted at 15k and changed at 30K a good way to not have it fail. Or, is it just a time bomb waiting to happen and there is nothing to do to stop it?
like i said before, just follow the link that cleveland posted in the first reply and it will take you to a page that tells you step by step how to do it. the year of r/r from what i know doesnt matter, but if you get one new enough it will cost you around 150 bucks where the older one will cost around 85. so get the older one, there's no need to waste your money on the newer one. i bought the older one and its great.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:08 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
I doubt the 30k mile estimates for the stock CCT's. If you read through the archives thoroughly the biggest onset of failure is at about 16k miles. Some go longer - some don't. I would venture that very few Superhawks make it to 30k with stock tensioners. The others are correct that it's not a difficult task if your handy around a wrench and have the time to concentrate. That's impossible around here. Not the wrench part - it's the distraction. I got a good mechanic here in Austin that did mine and I could not be more satisfied that the work was done very professionally.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:56 PM
Squid

hawk28 is on a distinguished road
whats an r/r?
Old 10-25-2008, 10:22 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Regulator / Rectifier, it's is also called a voltage regulator.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:48 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Hey armyguy- I would recommend the R/R asap. They fail unpredictably and immediately. My 98 kicked and I had to push the bike 2 miles (I was under the verazano bridge & you cant leave a bike by itself around here) When they go its lights out so do it now. You can also buy an aftermarket one that is heavy duty & finned that plugs right in.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:41 AM
Superstock

rbrais is on a distinguished road
+1 on the lights out.

Tell-tale signs are the speedometer and tach go dead. Better find a shady spot quick. Then the odometer goes dead. I only had 2 miles till home when the odometer went and I made it. From the time the speedo died until home was about 4 miles, but I don't think there was much juice left.