Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

quick cct question

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 01:41 PM
Squid

rich.m is on a distinguished road
quick cct question

hey everybody I have cct question for you guys
I installed the APE's a month a go (which is about 1000km for me). fallowed tightening procedures and after a quick ride I shut the bike off and restarted it and heard a weird honking (or like two thing rubbing together and resonating) noise. my first thought was to much tension on the chain so backed it off a half turn or so (as far as I dared).the noise lessened so I went to a whole turn back which to me should be way to lose but the noise went away. I rode the bike for weeks (and rode it hard) nothing bad happened but was afraid they were to lose. so I tightened it back up (not even finger tight) and the noise came back. does anyone know what this noise could be? you only here on start up when the bike is hot
I guess it wasn't that quick but thanks for any help
Old 05-21-2010, 01:46 PM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
personally I like to adjust the cct's by sound over finger tight only because some of us have sturdier fingers . So loosen them while the bike is idling once you detect a slight rattle tighten them until it goes away then tighten them 90 degrees more. I may get flamed for this. The finger tight method works but these chains do not need alot of pressure to stay on just remember that.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:29 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
indeed, not much pressure needed. There is probably a big range of "safe" between too tight and too loose.. It just needs to keep the chain slap down to where it won't jump a tooth, and not so tight that weird noises and excess wear happens.. That is a pretty big range.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:55 PM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
At installation, I used finger tight as a rule of thumb, a start point if you will. Once the job was done, I adjusted by sound and then applied a blue index mark on each for future reference. The difference in the noise from lash in the valve train is impressive!
Old 05-21-2010, 04:48 PM
Squid

rich.m is on a distinguished road
thanks for the quick response guys

I think I might be paranoid about it being too lose. I don't get any kind of constant rattles when I run it a whole turn back for finger tight, just the odd tick and such (but that seems to be there when a run it finger tight). So maybe I'll back it off a hair and leave it at that. Just for my peace of mind......... Is it really obvious (due to the sound) when the chain is being run to lose????

Thanks guys you've been alot of help

Last edited by rich.m; 05-21-2010 at 05:03 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:04 PM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
yeah too loose sounds like a spray paint can being shook really crazy.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:29 AM
Back Marker

slabm7 is on a distinguished road
When I installed mine I was scared to make adjustments as well but there is a wide range of adjustments that work. I found that the back one you could get away with finger tight but the front one I needed to use a wrench to get tight enough for the sounds to go away.