Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

questions about engine tear down

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 06:33 AM
Superstock

maniac2313 is on a distinguished road
questions about engine tear down

ok so im tearing down the motor for a rebuild and i have a few questions:
the cam chain guides ar bolted on with wierd bolts... they almost look like a normal bolt but have half moon cut outs on the lengths?
also, the water pump drive chain... what i asume the is crank gear (lower one) doesnt seem to want to slide out to allow me to get it off the water pump gear slides out. i have a slide hammer with a puller attachment but dont really want to use it for this, theres gotta be a better way.
finally does any one know the thread size for the flywheel puller? id rather have my buddy make one at work than buy it from honda or snap on...
lastly if theres anything you guys can think of that ill need for the teardown/rebuild it would be deeply appreciated.. im trying to get this done in the next month so i can get my cross country cali sun move on!! if not ill be stuck in the dirty dirty jerz... boo!
Old 01-25-2010, 08:46 AM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road
If I remember correctly the water pump just kind of wiggles out. it is just a small stub shaft on the gear set into the case. The chain guides I think I used a 12mm 12 pt socket (something worked). If you need the flywheel pulled take it to a shop and ask them to remove it. Motion pro makes a tool for it just not sure which one it is. http://street.parts-unlimited.com/21/309/7863951
Old 01-25-2010, 09:37 AM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
the primary drive gear on the crank has a spring-loaded anti-backlash gear. It will bind the gear and make it hard to remove and harder to install. You need to put a drift through the alignment hole and line up the backlash gear with the primary gear against the spring tension. Find a pin (drill bit) that fits and insert it through the other alignment hole, when you get them aligned. The gears then slide right off.

Make sense?

The cam chain guides come off with a 12-point socket as Z-man says.

As far as the flywheel puller goes, they are not very expensive (compared to shop time). Unless you have free shop time, you're better off buying one. It will fit other bikes as well.

Last edited by RCVTR; 01-25-2010 at 09:40 AM.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:49 AM
Superstock

hey guys thanks for the input... i found one of my auto pullers that fits the flywheel so ill mess with that later...
as for the sproket what youre saying makes sense but i didnt see it im sure i will as soon as i look again...
so glad i didnt use the good ol slap hammer!!
Old 01-26-2010, 07:27 AM
Superstock

ok well the spring loaded gear was off already but once i got the cam chain guides off everything else came right off!! thanks for the help