Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

possbile R/R??? yes another one -lol

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 04:41 AM
Squid

slapi01 is on a distinguished road
possbile R/R??? yes another one -lol

she has been good to me since i purchased her, but she left me stranded yesterday. went for a nice 80 mile ride, but when reaching to our destination i smelt a bad egg smell. i turned off the bike and hear what sounded like a fan running. i looked at my fan and it was not moving. i pulled off the seat as the noise was coming from underneath. the battery was screamin and was insanely hot.. i have not looked at the charging system, but my guesses are the regulator is over charging the heck out of it. anyone think thats correct? if i do need a r/r what would be the BEST replacement and what battery should i go with.. even though i had to wait three hours to get picked up, i am glad the bettery didn't explode under my butt.

thanks for any insight.. -brian
Old 10-17-2011, 05:27 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
if you have the $ you can opt for the new lightweight battery, but get a good one if go the traditional route. Check wiring and fuses since all that burnin was goin on. Read the link below for install in terms of keeping cables isolated and install the grnd cable first. I fried mine hooking up the pos first. Of course get a finned type R/R.

Regulator rectifire on e-bay - SuperHawk Forum
Old 10-17-2011, 08:43 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
The "Best" one is a MosFet type. https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...why-how-25117/
Old 10-17-2011, 09:04 AM
Squid

slapi01 is on a distinguished road
thanks guys. yeah i saw the mosfet post after my first post up. i came across ricks motorsports regulators and wondering if they are a goos alternative to a stocker. also if i good the mosfet route what does a newer style battery mean as from what i read you shouldnt use..
Old 10-17-2011, 09:12 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Rick's is better than stock 98-00, same as 01-05 stock, and not as good as a MosFet upgrade. These too will probably fail eventually.

As for the "newer" batteries, I think he means LiFePo rather than Lead Acid. eg: Daugherty Motorsports - Lightweight Lithium Motorcycle Batteries save weight and a lot more CCA.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:45 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by slapi01
thanks guys. yeah i saw the mosfet post after my first post up. i came across ricks motorsports regulators and wondering if they are a goos alternative to a stocker. also if i good the mosfet route what does a newer style battery mean as from what i read you shouldnt use..
I got one from ricks and fried it on install as noted above. Fortunately, they sent me a new one free. They didn't have too, because i told them what i did, but they did anyway. Seem like good people.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:28 AM
Superstock

sheldonsl is on a distinguished road
I got a MOSFET at roadstercycle.com for $137. That's the super deluxe kit with plug n play install almost. There's only 3 wires to splice, literally. I would highly recommend talking to Jack over there and doing it right.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:00 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by sheldonsl
I got a MOSFET at roadstercycle.com for $137. That's the super deluxe kit with plug n play install almost. There's only 3 wires to splice, literally. I would highly recommend talking to Jack over there and doing it right.
was that for your scooter sheldon? haha... just bustin your *****