Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

popping on decel

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 07:21 AM
Squid

DBERN
popping on decel

So I have just added a set of two bros. Upon decel I have a little pop crackle not alot, but still there. I only have 4k on it and want it to last a long time. Im wondering if I can cause any issues on valves and such with not jetting. Again, my mileage is not worse except for wanting to hear the new rumble and the pop can be controlled by not letting it iddle to low while deceling. I asked the local dealor about it and they said one should expect that with any aftermarket exhaust.

What do you guys think???
Old 09-20-2006, 07:54 AM
Squid

98vtr1000 is on a distinguished road
any aftermarket pipe on the SH without jetting and without disabling the PAIR will almost certainly pop and crackle on deceleration. As for ruining valves or any further internal damage I think you are pretty safe. I'd disable the PAIR (i have yet to do that but it's on my list) if the noise is bothering you, rejet for a better mixture - and ride on!
good luck with it.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:03 AM
Back Marker

Nanotech is on a distinguished road
My jardine pipes do the same...I get lots of compliments on both acc and dec with the sound. Mine's more noticeable before the bike is fully warmed up, and below 5k rpm.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:40 AM
Squid

DBERN
ok

I m not worried about the noise as long as I can do no damage in the long run. Ill look into the pair system.

thanks
Old 09-20-2006, 08:54 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by DBERN
I m not worried about the noise as long as I can do no damage in the long run. Ill look into the pair system.

thanks
Check out greg's page for tutorial on removal.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:24 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Running a lean mixture can do damage, I would suggest getting it rejetted soon.

Originally Posted by DBERN

thanks
Old 09-20-2006, 10:21 AM
Squid

DBERN
well that is the question of the the hour then. Is it the Pair system making it pop no matter what or is it because it is running rich that it is popping?? Or both? The pair is going to put that oxygen in there to burn any extra fuel right?

What acutally causes the damage the pop or the heat from it, and where would that damage be.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:38 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Any damage that will occur will be from running lean, but you'd have to be very lean and run it that way for a long time to burn a valve. The popping on decel is from PAIR, and will only cause accelerated degradation of muffler packing and hotter exhaust, since combustion is taking place there.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:46 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
Dang, I need to get that done then, I can't stand any more accelerated degradation.... I mean the rash was bad enough...LOL

So what is a far price to pay for those little covers? Say $20 or so....??
Old 09-20-2006, 08:01 PM
my e-penis is huge!!
Superstock
Superstock

SPRHK is an unknown quantity at this point
I added a FACTORY TI-PRO jet kit. I also have 2 Bros. exhaust. With the jetting that they suggest, I dont have any "popping' or "crackling" from my exhaust.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:27 AM
Squid

DBERN
Originally Posted by SPRHK
I added a FACTORY TI-PRO jet kit. I also have 2 Bros. exhaust. With the jetting that they suggest, I dont have any "popping' or "crackling" from my exhaust.
did you do anything to the pair?? And also 'jetting they suggest" who is they tbro or the factory jet kit folks?
Old 09-21-2006, 04:33 PM
Back Marker

iamanonymous is on a distinguished road
remove pair and modify your airbox. you're probably rich. jet kits allow to lean out fuel.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:36 PM
Squid

PHPERFORMANCE is on a distinguished road
i have devil high mount with the factory 1.7 jet kit, my air fuel is right on the money(ive spent the last week on the dyno at work).i still get a little popping on high rpm deccells.my pair system is removed(i just flipped them over and removed the other junk).i have never seen any great improvements from anyone on modifing the airbox(no disrespect to anyone!).
Old 09-22-2006, 05:34 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by PHPERFORMANCE
i have devil high mount with the factory 1.7 jet kit, my air fuel is right on the money(ive spent the last week on the dyno at work).i still get a little popping on high rpm deccells.my pair system is removed(i just flipped them over and removed the other junk).i have never seen any great improvements from anyone on modifing the airbox(no disrespect to anyone!).
yeah the airbox mod is a quick fix for a lean condition. could be just cut a couple holes or sections, or in my case before the k&n, remove the entire top...no gas savings or major performance mods can me made until a jet kit is installed and dyno tuning is done. what afr did you tune to?
Old 09-22-2006, 06:09 PM
Superstock

Speed_Demon is an unknown quantity at this point
Probably a bad pair valve or pair valve hose.
Old 09-23-2006, 04:17 AM
Squid

not to hijack - but on a side not. With factory jetting and aftermarket slip ons, will the bike generally run rich or lean with factory carb settings.?
Old 09-23-2006, 04:35 AM
Superstock

Speed_Demon is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by 98vtr1000
not to hijack - but on a side not. With factory jetting and aftermarket slip ons, will the bike generally run rich or lean with factory carb settings.?
Slightly lean. If you also install a high flow aircleaner get a jet kit or atleast shim the main needles.
Old 09-23-2006, 07:14 AM
Squid

The Best Thing You Can Do,is Find A Local Shop With A Dyno,and Have Them Do A Load Run To See Where Your Bike Is.at Least You Have A Base Line To Work With(we Only Charge 30.00 For 3 Full Pulls And A Baseline).i Had My Bike On The Dyno For A Week Trying To Get The Big #'s,but That Tune Wont Work For Just Driving.i Have 182f/185r Jets,needle On 4th Notch With Shim,2.5 Turns Out On The Screws,and 45 Pilots-so It Will Idle.the Bike Still Makes 111hp To The Wheel And Its Driveable.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:03 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by PHPERFORMANCE
The Best Thing You Can Do,is Find A Local Shop With A Dyno,and Have Them Do A Load Run To See Where Your Bike Is.at Least You Have A Base Line To Work With(we Only Charge 30.00 For 3 Full Pulls And A Baseline).i Had My Bike On The Dyno For A Week Trying To Get The Big #'s,but That Tune Wont Work For Just Driving.i Have 182f/185r Jets,needle On 4th Notch With Shim,2.5 Turns Out On The Screws,and 45 Pilots-so It Will Idle.the Bike Still Makes 111hp To The Wheel And Its Driveable.
very nice. with my two to one exhaust conversion the mixture was extremely rich. all this info should be taken with a grain of salt though. every motor is different and most peoples setups are very different.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:39 AM
Squid

we had a 2005 rc51 at work with a 2inot1 jardine on it.he lost 5hp with the 2 into 1 and we spent hours on the dyno trying to get it back-didnt happen.it did run alot richer with that system on it, it doesnt scavange as well.just like you loose hp with the high mounts.im not knocking 2 into 1's,they look awsome.they just dont tune as easy.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:11 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
An old buddy of mine in VA had an '02 RC51 with the Jardine 2-1. I had an '02 RC51 with Harris pipes. He made 0.5 hp less than I did. Pissed me off actually because he paid like $450 for his pipe and me about $950. Still, we were making about 10hp more than stock, so it was all good.