Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

500 ohm TPS adjust fixes stumble & decel

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 08:43 AM
Squid

ViperBoy is on a distinguished road
500 ohm TPS adjust fixes stumble & decel

I'm new to the forum after buying a 98 Superhawk with 10k miles last month in San Jose. I had not ridden in about 6 years since owning a YZF1000 and noticed that the Superhawk was very rough in the low RPM range and had serious deceleration when letting off the gas compared to all the fours I've ever ridden.

I browsed all the posts and figured I might as well try the TPS adjustment to see how much it could help. WOW! Stock was about 800 ohms and I got it down to 520 with a slight tweak to the tab. All this from a simple adjustment, though I also replaced the plugs, filter, oil and coolant at the same time

1) higher idle on choke @ startup. It used to max out at 1400 rpm on full choke and now hits around 1800

2) rough low rpm vibrations are nearly gone. It sort of felt like very light stuttering before, but is now quite smooth

3) no more brutal decel - close to a v4 and a lot more pleasant when riding in traffic

I still need to sync my carbs and have a twinmax on order. I also replaced the pads with EBC HH and they made a major improvement as well even b4 seating in completely - definitely worth $75 or so

Thx for the help & detailed instructions. The only thing I would add that simplifies the procedure is:

1) Use a thin, pointed steel punch on the outside washer to loosen the sheer bolts. They aren't that tight and the punch gets enough bite to spin the washer and bolt enough to then pull the bolts out one at a time by hand so that you can slot them

2) use a dremel cutting wheel to turn the old bolt into a slotted head which you can then tighten with a fine slotted screwdriver

3) The stock free play got me down to 550 ohms and I had to remove the TPS and bend the tab to get a bit below 520. I didn't bother trying to get exactly 500

4) I did end up using very small baby safety pins as terminals for the ohm meter. If you take off the plug, insert the safety pins and then put the plug back on, you can use aligator clips on the safety pins so that your hands are free to turn and tighten the TPS.