Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Poof sound which causes bike to stall

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2021, 04:35 AM
Squid

MrSloth908 is on a distinguished road
Poof sound which causes bike to stall

(2003 Honda Superhawk)
I have ran into a issue after winter storage with my bike. I'll run the bike for about 30 minutes and after it's warmed up I notice that when I'm decelerating or even sometimes idle I will hear a POOF sound from below me that stalls my bike. Only once has it happened while around 4k rpm but it didn't shut off due to me still being on the throttle.

Would this be a carb issue or maybe a vacuum issue? Hopefully someone has had this same issue and has a fix. Like I said it runs perfect until after its warmed up and every once in awhile it will make that sound and stall.

Anything will help, thanks!

Last edited by MrSloth908; 04-29-2021 at 04:37 AM. Reason: Bike info
Old 04-29-2021, 04:51 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Kinda have to eliminate some basics here. Are you able to balance the carbs and set the tps to 500-525 ohms? There can be many things at play here. I’d want to tear mine down and meticulously clean them (carbs) if you haven’t in a long time. Check the condition of the diaphragms. Check the condition of that air filter, making sure a rodent didn’t nest in there. When was the last time that was looked at?
Old 04-29-2021, 05:17 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by Wolverine
Kinda have to eliminate some basics here. Are you able to balance the carbs and set the tps to 500-525 ohms? There can be many things at play here. I’d want to tear mine down and meticulously clean them (carbs) if you haven’t in a long time. Check the condition of the diaphragms. Check the condition of that air filter, making sure a rodent didn’t nest in there. When was the last time that was looked at?

So far I have checked the air filter and what looked like the vacuum lines and everything checked out except for a tiny amount of what smelt/looked like oil in the air box. I would have to look up how to adjust tps and how to clean the carbs as this is my first carburated motorcycle. I know the engine does run a little rich from the smell but I never had a issue until after l she came out of storage this winter. Looks like youtube will be my friend for balancing the carbs haha
Old 04-29-2021, 07:22 AM
Adrenalin Junkie
Back Marker

misnblu is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by MrSloth908
So far I have checked the air filter and what looked like the vacuum lines and everything checked out except for a tiny amount of what smelt/looked like oil in the air box. I would have to look up how to adjust tps and how to clean the carbs as this is my first carburated motorcycle. I know the engine does run a little rich from the smell but I never had a issue until after l she came out of storage this winter. Looks like youtube will be my friend for balancing the carbs haha
Have you been running ethanol added gas in the bike as that may have a play in your issues too.
If you're not adding a fuel stabilizer to your fuel when having an extended off period the ethanol fuel can absorb moisture and fuel will gum up over time.

Good luck and welcome to the world of carburetors. 😉😜👍
Old 04-29-2021, 08:53 AM
MotoGP

Where are you located? I know I would help out if you were close, and we have some other fine folks who might do the same.
Old 04-29-2021, 12:10 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by misnblu
Have you been running ethanol added gas in the bike as that may have a play in your issues too.
If you're not adding a fuel stabilizer to your fuel when having an extended off period the ethanol fuel can absorb moisture and fuel will gum up over time.

Good luck and welcome to the world of carburetors. 😉😜👍
always ran 91+ and 99% sure no ethanol but I definitely should have ran some fuel stabilizer 😂. But that is a good thing to note down to check the lines there, thanks!
Old 04-29-2021, 12:14 PM
Squid

Where are you located? I know I would help out if you were close, and we have some other fine folks who might do the same.
I'm located in southwest Missouri. Sadly none of my family has worked on carbs long enough for me to have a good amount of help so I'm on my own with this one haha. That's if it's the carbs of course. I'm going to try and diagnose what you had said before digging into that carburetor. Im hoping it's just a vacuum line but it sounds like it's near the carbs where something pressurized is releasing and stalling the engine😬
Old 04-29-2021, 04:05 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by MrSloth908
I'm located in southwest Missouri. Sadly none of my family has worked on carbs long enough for me to have a good amount of help so I'm on my own with this one haha. That's if it's the carbs of course. I'm going to try and diagnose what you had said before digging into that carburetor. Im hoping it's just a vacuum line but it sounds like it's near the carbs where something pressurized is releasing and stalling the engine😬
Sounds like what we call the carb farts. It's not uncommon. A good balance and that tps calibration can help.

IF you do dig into carbs, be very careful with the choke fittings. They get delicate and break easy.
Old 04-29-2021, 05:15 PM
Superstock

YMRacing is on a distinguished road
Did you drain the float bowls before storing it for the winter?
Old 04-29-2021, 08:18 PM
Squid

Sounds like what we call the carb farts. It's not uncommon. A good balance and that tps calibration can help.

IF you do dig into carbs, be very careful with the choke fittings. They get delicate and break easy.
That's what I've dimmed it down to! Major farts from my superhawk lol. Noted with the choke fittings. This will be a fun job but I'm sure after a few wrenches thrown at the ground I'll figure out how to take it the carburetor. Thanks for all the input!
Old 04-29-2021, 08:19 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by YMRacing
Did you drain the float bowls before storing it for the winter?
I did not, sadly I bought the bike right before winter and I should have done some research before putting it up. I had started the bike almost every 2 weeks but I'm sure that didn't do much
Old 05-10-2021, 06:39 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
As suggested, first balance the carbs.
Old 05-10-2021, 03:02 PM
Superstock

YMRacing is on a distinguished road
Then do the TPS...Adjusting mine to the proper specs...WOW...smooth all the way from idle to redline! But, after I'd rebuilt the carbs, put new intake boots on it, and synching the carbs. Invited the fellow I bought it from to take it for a ride...he was impressed!
Old 05-11-2021, 01:05 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by xeris
As suggested, first balance the carbs.
Originally Posted by YMRacing
Then do the TPS...Adjusting mine to the proper specs...WOW...smooth all the way from idle to redline! But, after I'd rebuilt the carbs, put new intake boots on it, and synching the carbs. Invited the fellow I bought it from to take it for a ride...he was impressed!

Thanks both of you! I'm going to get the carbs balanced and cleaned and then adjust the tps and see if she runs like new again! I noticed the carbs burping and sputtering when starting the bike after a week break yesterday so I dimmed it down to the carbs for now. I will keep you all updated