Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Help!! What is this sound??

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 07:36 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
Help!! What is this sound??

I am sure someone or several of you guys can tell me what this sound is....The Hawk 99' 5,400 original miles---I can crank her up, after she is warm I goose the enigne, or hold the rpms at around 3k there is a clunk sound that happens....I am no mechanic so I have no idea what it is....it has done it once or twice within the last two weeks while I was riding, at a low rpm slow speed.....scared me so I parked it, and just cranked it up again today, road down the street few hundred yards, still doing it.....don't want to hurt anything so I will try and figure out what is wrong, and how to fix it.....Help is appreciated.....
Old 01-05-2006, 07:49 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Re: Help!! What is this sound??

Oil every 6 months, change again in March....no metal that I can see....

As for the sound...wow I am so new at this ok,....as I am sitting on the bike it seems like it comes from the lower front, maybe engine, just am not sure...I know that is not the greatest explanation....as for repeating the sound, yes....when she is running I can goose the throtle and make it happen....metal on metal----maybe...suppose I need to take it by the shop and let them listen to it....I just hate to ride it that far til I know if I will damage her....
Old 01-06-2006, 11:06 AM
Superstock

Speed_Demon is an unknown quantity at this point
It would really help to hear it but one sound I found unique to the VTR is if you give it too much throttle right away at a low rpm you get a backfire through the carbs. If thats the case either your carb are out of adjustment or is just a quirk of the bike.

Can you get a sound or video clip? My camera takes MOV clips. Do it and post it.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:50 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Yeah, I will try that.....newbie at this but willing to learn....

Thanks
Old 01-06-2006, 12:05 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Darn camera was dead, waiting on it to charge....

I went out and cranked it up.....it seems that it did not make the sound while slightly leaned over---with the stand down. But I stood her up straight and ran up to 3k and it did it again....like a knock or clunk sound....I will try and get the sound on later.....I think it will be hard to hear though as it is a sound and a feel.....

wow I am so articulate it is scary....should I try to post using Braille?? <---Making fun of myself....
Old 01-06-2006, 12:30 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Never Fails, I get the camera set up, crank her up, run her.....Nothin!! On the one hand that sucks, on the other, maybe it just went away.....I am sure that I won't be that lucky.....so I will try it several more times today....
Old 01-07-2006, 07:49 AM
SuperSport

CNI Dawg is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm leaning towards backfire thru the carbs but it's kind of hard to tell.

Mine does it but usually when it's cold if I give it too much gas.
Clears up after it's warmed up.

Did the previous owner do the Factory Pro ignition advance kit in it?

Does it clear up after you ride it a while?

Heck mine will still do it up to about 170 deg. or so. Seems like above 180 it usually doesn't do it anymore.

It sounds kind of like muffeled (sp?) "thump" or "pop".
Can be kind of loud if the throttle is open a lot....less when throttle is open less.

It's hard to place the origination of the sound because the airbox & gas tank defuse & redirect the sound.
Just sounds like its in front & below the rider.

1st time mine did it I thought the same thing..."OMG something is REALLY wrong with my bike!"
Then figured out it was a 'cold condition' carb backfire.
I really let it warm up good (150-160 'ish) before riding now & take it easy on the throttle til it gets above 180 'ish.

You don't want it to be backfiring thru the carbs a lot. Can't be good for the bike over a long time.
Old 01-07-2006, 09:45 AM
SuperSport

Loco
A backfire through the carbs won't sound like metal on metal. I wonder why it would make that sound when upright versus on the stand.

Metal on metal is an unmistakable sound and is almost ALWAYS detrimental. If it is indeed metal on metal, you might check mundane stuff like exhaust header bolts, carb-to-head boots, etc. The bad part is that if it IS metal on metal, and it stops, then something has been worn away, and that's not very encouraging.

More than likely, it's not actually metal on metal and since you said it sounds like it's coming from your front cylinder, I'd say carb/airbox. Its the kind of knock that you can feel, and it will shake the tank a little.

I would check one of three things:

1) Visually make sure your PAIR valves (the ones on top of your cylinder head) are either connected securely to your airbox, or blocked off entirely. No exceptions. (This happens almost exclusively on deceleration)

2) Check your jetting, if it has been jetted, etc. 3k is the magic number where your bike switches from low jets to main jet and this is common trouble with exhaust pipe changes and K&N filters. (This happens primarily on acceleration)

3) Check for any exhaust leaks or mechanical problems relating to your choke switch/throttle cable. (This will happen under all riding conditions)

As a general tip, use some carburetor cleaner in your tank next time you fill up, as the problem may just be a gummy jet. I hope it is.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:59 AM
SuperSport

jschmidt
It is impossible to diagnose this sound with this description. If I were to guess, I'd guess bad starter clutch. But that would be a SWAG.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:19 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Thanks for all the tips, and advice.....

I am gonna go with CNI Dawg on this one.....Since this did not happen until it got colder here, and after she is warm I did not hear or feel it....

Also, with regards to an additive, and man I know everyone has there favorite poison, but my brother uses something called (don't know if this is the correct spelling or not) SEAFOAM, or SEEFOAM----maybe some of you guys have used it before, says it helps his bike a lot.....any feed back on that would be appreciated, as he does not own a Hawk and what may work for him may not work for me....though it seems like basically and engine should work about the same....what do I know, I don't work on engines....lol...
Old 01-07-2006, 03:47 PM
SuperSport

The guys over on the Vulcan forum speak highly of Seafoam.
(I owned a vulcan before the Superhawk)
Never tried Seafoam myself but might soon.
Noticed some build up on my intake valves when I had the carbs off last night changing the idle jets

I was just out your way on a ride.
Hwy 380 to 1827 to 545 to 2933 & back to 380.
Was pretty nice & much closer than the Old Ida Road ride.
Only bad part was the sun in my eyes on 2933.
Would have called you but didn't have your number.
Could have listened to your noise.
Old 01-07-2006, 06:38 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

CNI,

We spent most of the day at the Gym, getting ready for Jamacia in Feb....It was an awesome day to ride, I think I went around the block a few times before stopping to chat with some guys about bikes, next thing I know it is dark.....We are probably going to go for a little ride tomorrow, depends on the wearther----weather or not I can get out of the man chores set forth by the Boss---lol----....

I am going to tighted my chain tomorrow, I measured it and it is right at 1 9/16 at rest it is touching the pipe underneath....think I will take it to 1 5/16 then I should be good to go..

I will shot you an e-mail with my number, in case you are in the area again, by all means give me a buzz....
Old 01-07-2006, 10:05 PM
SuperSport

Loco
Hey,

I'm in the Dallas area too.. Just got finished riding between Anna and Mckinney yesterday. Maybe we could all meet up for a ride sometime then
Old 01-08-2006, 08:11 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Loco";p=&quot
Hey,

I'm in the Dallas area too.. Just got finished riding between Anna and Mckinney yesterday. Maybe we could all meet up for a ride sometime then
Hey Loco,
Looks like you are the 4th S'hawk rider in the DFW area.
I emailed clifhangertx & gnapoleone to see if they wanted to ride today (sunday 1/8/06 )
Do you want to go too?
We can have a mini DFW Superhawk Rally this afternoon
email me at lwk2@swbell.net
I'd PM you or call but don't have your contacts.
Thanks, Bill
Old 01-08-2006, 08:34 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Sounds like a plan, almost.... I just have to tighten my chain then I am ready to romp....I have a friend that lives next to me that might want to go, he has a Ninja 636 not a hawk person, but a hell of a nice guy....

Let me know what time frame your lookin at....I would think sometime right after lunch it will hit the high for the day, going to get a bit windy later this afternoon......
Old 01-08-2006, 08:50 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by cliffhangerstx";p=&quot
going to get a bit windy later this afternoon......
I guess it hasn't made it up to ya'll yet. It is absolutely HOWLING down here near the coast. Too much to be enjoyable. Hope ya'll have a good ride.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:49 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

[/quote]
I guess it hasn't made it up to ya'll yet. It is absolutely HOWLING down here near the coast. Too much to be enjoyable. Hope ya'll have a good ride.
[/quote]

It was quit nice, started getting a little breezy late in the afternoon, nothing that would make me say uncle ...It was a nice ride...
Old 01-10-2006, 04:31 PM
Squid

vtromey

I am sure someone or several of you guys can tell me what this sound is....The Hawk 99' 5,400 original miles---I can crank her up, after she is warm I goose the enigne, or hold the rpms at around 3k there is a clunk sound that happens....I am no mechanic so I have no idea what it is....it has done it once or twice within the last two weeks while I was riding, at a low rpm slow speed.....scared me so I parked it, and just cranked it up again today, road down the street few hundred yards, still doing it.....don't want to hurt anything so I will try and figure out what is wrong, and how to fix it.....Help is appreciated.....
i think i know exactly what you're talkin about, the symptoms are almost bang on identical to what mine does. got my 2000 VTR with very low mileage and i noticed it making a "clunkin" noise periodically during low rpms or just idling . . . but once you got goin everything was absolutely fine, so i kinda have been ignoring it, thought maybe it was normal for a V-twin . . . but yah, i think the "clunk" sounds like a brief hesitation type of sound, but it wasn't frequent, just once in a while, only on low rpms .. . . or when you just try and throttle it a little and just before the gas feeds in, it clunks with hesitation for a split second, kinda throwin the idle rhythm out of wack and goes back to normal immediately . .. hmm

i'm still curious as to what could be causing it tho. . . guess i'll have it checked out in the spring.

but anyway, you guys can go back to tryin to hook up a ride!
Old 01-10-2006, 06:31 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by vtromey";p=&quot
i think i know exactly what you're talkin about, the symptoms are almost bang on identical to what mine does. got my 2000 VTR with very low mileage and i noticed it making a "clunkin" noise periodically during low rpms or just idling . . . but once you got goin everything was absolutely fine, so i kinda have been ignoring it, thought maybe it was normal for a V-twin . . . but yah, i think the "clunk" sounds like a brief hesitation type of sound, but it wasn't frequent, just once in a while, only on low rpms .. . . or when you just try and throttle it a little and just before the gas feeds in, it clunks with hesitation for a split second, kinda throwin the idle rhythm out of wack and goes back to normal immediately . .. hmm

i'm still curious as to what could be causing it tho. . . guess i'll have it checked out in the spring.

but anyway, you guys can go back to tryin to hook up a ride!
Just tought of something.....
It maybe the slides are getting a little dirty.
Check out the "Clunk Die Fix" here:
https://www.superhawkforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=99
I cleaned & lubed my slides last time I was in the carbs changing the jetting & needle position.
He uses DC4 di-electric grease but I just used silicone spray with teflon. It only needs a SMALL amount so wipe off any excess. Don't want anything extra there to attract & collect dirt.
Seemed to smooth it out....but occasionally still get a small clunk
Old 01-10-2006, 06:38 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Dawg,

Since I have been taking a few extra mins to let her warm up, the sound has vanished.....

Also, I picked up a couple of cans of that Seafoam....After reading more about it, seems like it is good for all sorts of things...

Thanks for the link...
Old 01-10-2006, 06:39 PM
SuperSport

jschmidt
If this is the sound you are describing, try upping the idle to 1300 and see if it goes away.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:38 PM
Squid

mtmansl

My SH makes this sound when it is cold too. It stops after it is warmed up however. It definately feels like it is coming out of the carb area.
Old 01-21-2006, 06:17 PM
Back Marker

SillyHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

HOLY CRAP!!! finally someone else who has this problem...the guys down at the Honda shop say its because i got aftermarket pipes but thats BS. yeah this clunking noise drives me crazy!!! always around 3-4000rpms. they also said its because i was running the wrong gear and going to slow...once again BS they said it is a bike that needs high rpms to feel at home and happy. Maybe i need to get the carbs jetted as a last resort. which once again was suggested by the Wiz at the Honda shop. i am pissed and any suggestions to fix this very annoying aspect on the Hawk would help.

Not fun going into a corner and have your engine stumble and stutter
Old 01-21-2006, 06:20 PM
Back Marker

oh yeah and it does not change even after a long warm up and ride... not to mention the stalling at lights too. this Hawk is testing my patience
Old 01-21-2006, 07:51 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by SillyHawk";p=&quot
oh yeah and it does not change even after a long warm up and ride... not to mention the stalling at lights too. this Hawk is testing my patience
Describe your bikes configuration.
At 3000-4000 RPM your carbs are transitioning from the idle circuit range to the needle/main jet range.

We got aftermarket pipes but what else?
Do you have a jet kit?
Are the idle mixture jets set at 2 1/2 turns out?
Pair system operational?
Any vacuum leaks?
Are the carb slides dirty? (see "clunk die fix" in knowledge base section)
Is your idle set at 1300RPM?
Old 01-21-2006, 08:55 PM
Back Marker

i have an ignition advancer and a shift kit with the aftermarket Jardines...thats about it. NO jet kit yet and my idle is set at about 1300rpm

there are no vacumm leaks that i know of and the carbs were cleaned before i got it a few months ago at the Honda shop.

the pair system? is that the CA emmisions thing? if so it was removed before i got the bike.

so i dont know what else to tell ya...i just remember my 1995 VFR and that wass a beauty with carbs never a problem.
Old 01-22-2006, 02:37 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by SillyHawk";p=&quot
i have an ignition advancer and a shift kit with the aftermarket Jardines...thats about it. NO jet kit yet and my idle is set at about 1300rpm

there are no vacumm leaks that i know of and the carbs were cleaned before i got it a few months ago at the Honda shop.

the pair system? is that the CA emmisions thing? if so it was removed before i got the bike.

so i dont know what else to tell ya...i just remember my 1995 VFR and that wass a beauty with carbs never a problem.
Are you the mechanic or the Honda shop?
What year model VTR is it? (nothing in your profile or post on the year model)
Does it have a stock air filter or a K&N or BMC aftermarket air filter?

Am I the only one that finds it odd that someone would advance the ignition and open up the exhaust but NOT richen the mixture with a jet kit?
Are you sure the original owner didn't put in a jet kit?
Has the bike been dyno'd & the exhaust gasses checked?
I'm suspecting an over lean condition made worse by an advanced ignition and perhaps sticky slides
Old 01-22-2006, 07:23 PM
SuperSport

Loco
I would agree.

If you are already running lean, it means you don't have enough fuel to burn during the ignition phase as it is. Then, advancing the ignition timing gives even more time to burn that fuel you don't have. I could foresee compression problems from this, due to poor timing. If anything CNI, I would expect a richer jetting than usual because of such a mod.

SillyHawk,

Have patience with this, it's a problem that many VTR users have, but it's quite correctable. The jet kit shouldn't be thought of as a "last resort", because it's really just balancing your air/fuel mix from the fuel side instead of the air side. Think about it: you expedited the air flow with aftermarket pipes, and the ign. advancer expects even more fuel than stock. If you're running an aftermarket filter, then it's a no-brainer. Even so, there's a ton of info on this forum relating to bike stumble at 3k.

I hope I'm not coming across as blunt or rude, I'm just trying to explain what I think is happening.

Loco
Old 01-23-2006, 07:40 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Oh, Loco, of course you are coming across as blunt and rude, that is why we keep you around... :P :P :P :P

Watch out I'll wheelie on your head :P :P

LoL....I need to check my mix, I think that is my problem.....Or um uh something like that....

Quick Reply: Help!! What is this sound??