Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

2 sounds??

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 11:28 AM
New Hawk Rider
Superstock

eersfanpilot is on a distinguished road
2 sounds??

2003 Superhawk 6800 miles. Stock cans with baffels removed, manual cct's, all fluids changed in June. Everything else stock.

I have two sounds I am trying to track down:

1. Sounds like when you open and close scissors repeatedly, that metal on metal sliding together. This sound occurs only when I am using the throttle. I was thinking CCT but would you hear it only when applying throttle, wouldn't you hear it at idle also if it was CCT being too tight?

2. Sounds like when you used to put cards in the spoke of your bike. This sound mainly occurs when I start from a stop in first gear. It is not a knock, more of a clapping/rapping sound. It goes away once up to speed or above about 2.5k rpm. It does not sound metal in any way. Could it be the plastic slides in the carbs? Any thoughts on how to quiet this?

Advice? Thanks!
Old 07-10-2012, 01:07 PM
ole dirty bastard
SuperSport

hawxter996 is an unknown quantity at this point
no.2....what does your chain look like?
rusted, kinked?
Old 07-10-2012, 06:06 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

superdutyd is on a distinguished road
These bikes can make all kinds of wierd noises. Some bikes more than others. No.1 sounds familiar, but mine did it at idle also. I would say carb slides. Carb sync might help. No.2 also sounds familiar. Is it a chugging noise, almost like a stick car taking off in too high of a gear? Also, i did notice that my bike made more wierd noises with debaffled stock pipes than it did with aftermarket exhaust.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:40 PM
aja
SuperSport

aja is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by hawxter996
no.2....what does your chain look like?
rusted, kinked?
Your chain will cause those symptoms. Kind of sounds like rocks bouncing around the engine? I had the same thing, it was only present when first starting out and went away within a few seconds. I changed my chain and sprockets and it went away.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:57 PM
New Hawk Rider
Superstock

Thanks for the input guys. I was thinking the chain was causing the one noise since it seems related to anytime I am using the throttle. I tried to tighten it up and also re-lubed it but it goes back to the same dried out rusty look. I keep the bike in the garage but ride every day to work and back so it sees quite a bit of road grim and dust. I would say a new chain is in order.

As for the carb slides. Mike (8541Hawk) mentioned to me when he was helping me with some carb shimming issues that the sound may be the slides. Any ideas how to eliminate those sounds? Would sanding the slides down or some kinds of grease work on those plastics? I am thinking it would not help much due to the sound being the slide slamming open and closed, but just trying to think of every option.

Thanks
Old 07-10-2012, 06:59 PM
New Hawk Rider
Superstock

Originally Posted by superdutyd
These bikes can make all kinds of wierd noises. Some bikes more than others. No.1 sounds familiar, but mine did it at idle also. I would say carb slides. Carb sync might help. No.2 also sounds familiar. Is it a chugging noise, almost like a stick car taking off in too high of a gear? Also, i did notice that my bike made more wierd noises with debaffled stock pipes than it did with aftermarket exhaust.
Thanks for the input. I do sync the carbs any time I work on them. Right now I know they are synced.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:15 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Sometimes these bikes sound like a sewing machine when on the throttle lightly.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:42 PM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

BeerHunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Maybe shorter slide springs would help if the slides are slamming shut too hard. Just a guess really. Changing only the spring force would likely throw off your newly calibrated setup. I do not think that slide noises are any indication of damage being done.

Is this noise new since you have done the carb modification, or was it happening before? Did you adjust the mixture screws for highest idle?
Old 07-10-2012, 07:52 PM
aja
SuperSport

aja is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by eersfanpilot
I would say a new chain is in order.
I got both sprockets and chain for $125.99 with free shipping and no tax

JT 530 Rear Sprocket - Street Bike 1998 Honda Super Hawk - Motorcycle Superstore

JT 530 Front Countershaft Sprocket - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

Parts Unlimited 530MO O-Ring Chain - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore
Old 07-10-2012, 08:10 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Well if you can't figure it out, I will be moving to the SFV in the next week or so and you can bring it by sometime and I can check it all out for you.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:42 AM
Superstock

zxbud is on a distinguished road
Springs

Originally Posted by BeerHunter
Maybe shorter slide springs would help if the slides are slamming shut too hard. Just a guess really. Changing only the spring force would likely throw off your newly calibrated setup. I do not think that slide noises are any indication of damage being done.

Is this noise new since you have done the carb modification, or was it happening before? Did you adjust the mixture screws for highest idle?
Now that you mention it the one I ride came to me with 4800 miles on it, stock slide needles AND dynojet slide springs-------read short. There is a little clatter on cold motor startup but disappears a mile or so later.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:27 AM
New Hawk Rider
Superstock

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
Well if you can't figure it out, I will be moving to the SFV in the next week or so and you can bring it by sometime and I can check it all out for you.

Careful! You may become my local mechanic not just my internet mechanic! As long as you take beer for payments.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:29 AM
New Hawk Rider
Superstock

Originally Posted by zxbud
Now that you mention it the one I ride came to me with 4800 miles on it, stock slide needles AND dynojet slide springs-------read short. There is a little clatter on cold motor startup but disappears a mile or so later.
Thanks guys. That makes a lot of sense with the slides. Especially since they are plastic slamming into plastic, which is how it sounds. Not sure if I want to venture into adjusting spring length or not, getting rid of the lean cough has been a big enough headache at the moment, almost got it all gone!
Old 07-11-2012, 06:37 AM
Superstock

zxbud is on a distinguished road
Cough

Originally Posted by eersfanpilot
Thanks guys. That makes a lot of sense with the slides. Especially since they are plastic slamming into plastic, which is how it sounds. Not sure if I want to venture into adjusting spring length or not, getting rid of the lean cough has been a big enough headache at the moment, almost got it all gone!
When I got rid of the pair system the cough and stalling at 'clutch in low speed slow downs' such as turnig s corner disappeared also and I theorised on the association in a previous thread