Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

pleaseeee help me.. engine turns but dont start :((((

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 08:36 AM
Back Marker

Shane702 is on a distinguished road
pleaseeee help me.. engine turns but dont start :((((

here is just a quick video of what it sounds like.. i have aligned cams.. read every page the manual has to offer.. i really am about to give in. i live in las vegas and work on my bike in morning so weather is fine.. please any help..any lists to go thru.. i will do each check 1 by 1.. i am a electrician.. i can do any electrical tests connections whatever you experts say... but I've put so much time into this its time to make it work right.. ..it all has all mods from these forums..

pair valve removed.. every write up carb rebuild everything has been done to this bike... it use to work fine but had a hiccup that scared me while driving so I diecided to spend hours and hours doing every write up.. the when i manually crank the crankshaft and try to start it it only cranks then stops..

this is only a 12 sec video.. this is after i have manually turned it down at the crankshaft... any advice/tips / things to check... i will check every single thing... i want my bike back.. :/
Old 09-13-2014, 09:54 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Can't watch the video. It says, "THIS VIDEO IS PRIVATE"

Please explain what you mean by, "hiccup", that made you take the bike off the road. Also, tell us what you mean by, "doing every write up". What write ups did you follow and do to the bike?
Old 09-13-2014, 11:12 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Check the vacuum hose is fitted correctly on the petcock...
Old 09-13-2014, 04:09 PM
Back Marker

vacuum hose is behind the petcock like it should be.i just rebuilt it because fuel was leaking down the small whole in petcock.before I rebuilt it engine would crank and crank and crank but seemed fuel starved....so I found the petcock leave and figured okay I gotta rebuild that now..so I did..what I do is crank the crank case bold 270 degrees or so then try to start motor...it will start to crank for a second now then a single click and done...I have to manually use the crankshaft then try again and no luck....any suggestions or steps to take because I have rebuilt most of this bike now in this horrible Vegas heat and I'm almost ashamed to say it's getting the best of me...any help at all, if anyone can help me get on road id owe u forever!, thanks, Shane
Old 09-13-2014, 04:36 PM
SuperBike

List all the things you've altered and methodically double check everything is back as it should. Killswitch, fuel (fuel flowing and petcock valve turned on?) and electrical (battery voltage?) etc.

Last edited by Wicky; 09-13-2014 at 04:38 PM.
Old 09-13-2014, 05:40 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Wicky
List all the things you've altered and methodically double check everything is back as it should. Killswitch, fuel (fuel flowing and petcock valve turned on?) and electrical (battery voltage?) etc
wicky I basically rejetted my bikes from hawks writeup, took pair valve out.. d
id all the writeups on the tech forums.. everything like that.. rebuilt carbs multiple times now.. to be sure, the petcock fuel is on counter clockwise and clockwise is off.. i just went to a ridenow motor sports store, said it was getting 12 volts and battery was good(even tho battery sat for awhile... only reason I had to do that is becuz im a union electrician and I left my tools in my gang box on my jobsite like the rest of the guys... 2 days ago.. i would manually crank the crankshaft, and start it ... after about 5 or 6 tries.. i finally got the bike to crank over and over and over and over and I got extremely happy because in my mind it was like okay all it needs is good fuel and it will start... so i see the fuel petcock leaking... so i order the parts to rebuild.. i rebuild it today. now for hours i try over and over and over manually cranking the crankcase as far as i can, try to start... it cranks far enough for almost a full turn, then stops, then just does 1 single click noise.. if i try again it will just click once each time i press the start button...my bike is also up on 2 pitbull stands this entire time i've worked on my bike... idontknow if that possibly would possibly effect any type of fluid or fuel or anything from the engine cranking properly but I am so frustrated I can't tell you the late nights, the hours, rebuilding every part of this bike just to be able to ride it again... if anyone has any checklists.. things i can do... i've spent to many hours searching these forums.. I really need to get this going already... its making me a very very sad man... thanks for any help u guys

shane out, thanks
Old 09-13-2014, 05:44 PM
Back Marker

its publshed now.. should be able to view
Old 09-13-2014, 08:24 PM
Back Marker

brothermike is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Shane702
IMG 2866 - YouTube

its publshed now.. should be able to view
I got it to play by clicking on the YouTube symbol on the lower right of the screen.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:34 PM
Back Marker

From what I heard in that video sounds like a weak battery/ bad connection/starter. You can turn the motor over by hand correct. That is what mine did when I had loose connections at the battery perhaps you have bad connection at the starter or solenoid.

Last edited by brothermike; 09-13-2014 at 08:41 PM.
Old 09-14-2014, 03:28 AM
SuperBike

Try charging up the battery as continually starting it while it was laid up would gradually cause a net drain of the battery - How long has it been laid up? It was a short clip - was there any screeching as you said you'd done things with cams - (Manual CCTs?) nothing overtightened i.e cam chain tension) up top end that could be causing any drag that the starter/battery has difficulty overcoming?
Old 09-20-2014, 04:30 PM
Back Marker

Any updates? Did you get it running? Did you give up?
Old 09-20-2014, 11:32 PM
Squid

tillyhawkrider is on a distinguished road
Yup IMHO there is most probably a loose connection or low battery voltage. The immediate starter speed is way slow. I would start checking electrical connections at the battery/frame/starter relay ect. As was already mentioned depending on the batteries condition to begin with, sitting on standby for (how long?) the voltage will drop. If you have really good compression, what the video represent will be typical results.
Good luck. But it doesn't sound terminal!

The Dragons Tail runs through my backyard
Old 09-27-2014, 10:00 AM
Back Marker

Bueller....Bueller....
Old 09-27-2014, 11:02 AM
Back Marker

996thehawk is on a distinguished road
Sounds like a weak battery to me. Let us know how you make out with this issue.
Old 09-27-2014, 04:11 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
He can't respond, he's too busy riding.