Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

I dont know much but somethings leaking...

Old 01-19-2010, 12:30 AM
Squid

Laurenmc544 is on a distinguished road
I dont know much but somethings leaking...

I stored my bike in my dads trailer with his 09 victory vision. he was pissed and told me i was making his trailer smell and that something was leaking on his carpet. Pulled my bike out... started it up... and it smoked for a good minute burning whatever off. I wasn't able to see where the leak was coming from, there is however apparent gas on my frame... i took all the fairings off and am wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem or any suggestions on what i should check out.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:40 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Well... Knowing where on the frame you can spot gas might help us figure out where the leak is...

Buut... Since it's the most obvious place to start, check the petcock... If there is a tear in the membrane it will leak to the vent hole for the membrane and drip down on all stuff... That's about the highest point you can have for a fuel leak... And the most logical...
Old 01-19-2010, 03:58 AM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
motojoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Trailers can get warm inside if not properly vented. Did you put it in there with a full tank of gas?
Old 01-19-2010, 03:58 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
You got three fluids to choose from mostly,, Oil, Gas and Coolant..each with a distinctive smell... If your sure it's gas, and it happened when it was stored.. Did you by chance top off the gas tank just before storage? You may have a bit of overflow cause by expansion. Or the petcock could be not shutting off flow when the motor is not running (it's vacuum operated) Leaking fuel line... all possibilities,, and it takes very leaking gas to smell horrible in a trailer. I deal with it all the time in our toy Hauler.

Check all the vent lines, Gas tank, filler overflow, and carb.. see if any of them are wet at the end with gas,, follow that to the source.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:58 AM
SuperSport

mboe794 is on a distinguished road
A similar thing happened to me last spring when I pulled the bike out of the basement for the first time. Turned out to be the rear APE cct. Oil ended up on the junction in the header and smoked like hell for awhile.