Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Petcock Vacuum Line Location on bike, NOT THE TANK

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 07:40 AM
Squid

duc186 is on a distinguished road
Petcock Vacuum Line Location on bike, NOT THE TANK

Newb with a question on where the vacuum line is attached to the airbox/cylinder head (?) not the tank. The forum has been very helpful with the PVLIR regarding the inadvertent re-install on the tank, but I just have no clue where that vacuum line leads!

I'm rebuilding a bike that was disassembled by someone who never thought of labeling anything

thanks for your help!
Old 08-12-2012, 08:07 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Well, if you are talking about the vacuum line for the petcock, it connects to the front cylinder, down in the V... Throttle hand side of the bike, roughly by the overflow bottle for the coolant...

But really, the best way for you to figure it out, is to download the service manual that is linked on this site... It has decent images to go by...
Old 08-12-2012, 09:00 AM
Superstock
Superstock

wyldryce is on a distinguished road
Hmmm. Not attempting to be contradictory, but on mine, it attaches to the rear cylinder. Also, in my US manual, is shows having the machine screw in the front port, where you need to attach a nipple to sync the carbs. Been thinking about buying a little extra vacuum hose and just t-ing them together, so I dont have to deal with that tight space each time I go to sync them.
Old 08-12-2012, 02:17 PM
Squid

duc186 is on a distinguished road
Found it! rear cylinder on mine. thanks for your help. Using the Haynes manual, but it was not real clear on that location.
Old 08-12-2012, 02:41 PM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
There are two places - front is blanked off by default with a small allen bolt* - rear is tucked away as described earlier

*While you're in there install an adapter & some hose (blanked off) for easy carb balancing.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:54 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

chemomche is on a distinguished road
will use the thread to share something weird
when was remoing my front cylinder head due to cct failure i noticed that the vacuum hose from the rear cylinder was not connected to the petcock...it was connected to the rear cylinder, but the other end was not connected anywhere, it was left free

My bike uses a fuel pump, so the vacuum is not needed but would this "free" vacuum hose mess my engine performance?The bike was runing good before the cct failure, but it was new for me so i cannot say if it was best it can do,
Old 08-13-2012, 11:54 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by chemomche
will use the thread to share something weird
when was remoing my front cylinder head due to cct failure i noticed that the vacuum hose from the rear cylinder was not connected to the petcock...it was connected to the rear cylinder, but the other end was not connected anywhere, it was left free

My bike uses a fuel pump, so the vacuum is not needed but would this "free" vacuum hose mess my engine performance?The bike was runing good before the cct failure, but it was new for me so i cannot say if it was best it can do,
Yes that would be a major vacuum leak. It needs to be capped.

You still need the fitting for sync'ing so a fitting, if it doesn't have one, and a rubber cap and you will be set.