Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Quick Question: Fuel Vacuum Line Connection

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 04:32 PM
Squid

ProfChaos is on a distinguished road
Quick Question: Fuel Vacuum Line Connection

Hello.

I recently discovered that the cap of my fuel tank leaks, and during Hurricane Isaac, my now-less-than-waterproof Dowco "Guardian" motorcycle cover wicked more-than-just-a-little water down into the petrol. Consequently, a friend and I used a vacuum pump, a gas station fuel-drainage can, and some good old-fashioned teamwork to remove and drain the fuel tank.

During the process of removing the fuel tank, we accidentally dislodged the engine side of the fuel tank vacuum line, pulling it from its port. Now, I'm not 100% sure where the engine side of the fuel tank vacuum line attaches. I suspect that it goes onto the brass nozzle with the green plastic base, located on the front-center of the rear carburetor assembly. (That is the only place that I noticed on which the fuel vacuum line might fit securely.) Am I correct in my guess that the engine side of the fuel tank vacuum line attaches to the brass nozzle (with the green plastic base) located on the front-center of the rear carburetor assembly?

Thanks for your help.
--professor chaos

Last edited by ProfChaos; 10-03-2012 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:45 PM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
The vacuum line for the fuel tap is connected to a brass tube on the rear cylinder head, not the carburettor. If you're facing the inlet port for the rear cylinder, the brass tube to which the vacuum line is connected is in the 5 o'clock position. You'll need a good light to see it. Unless you've got hands and arms the size of Barbie's or Ken's, you'll need a haemostat or something similar to reattach the vacuum line and the small hose clamp that helps keep it on. The alternative is to remove the fuel tank, air filter box and maybe the carburettors in order to get satisfactory access.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:14 AM
Squid

ProfChaos is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by comedo
The vacuum line for the fuel tap is connected to a brass tube on the rear cylinder head, not the carburettor. If you're facing the inlet port for the rear cylinder, the brass tube to which the vacuum line is connected is in the 5 o'clock position. You'll need a good light to see it. Unless you've got hands and arms the size of Barbie's or Ken's, you'll need a haemostat or something similar to reattach the vacuum line and the small hose clamp that helps keep it on. The alternative is to remove the fuel tank, air filter box and maybe the carburettors in order to get satisfactory access.
Thanks. That is actually the same brass tube of which I wrote; I just didn't know that I was looking at the cylinder head assembly under the rear carb, and not the bottom of the carb assembly. I managed to re-attach the vacuum line by using my long, skinny, guitar-player fingers. It was quite a task, but I managed to get it back onto the brass tube. SuperChicken III runs fine now.

Thanks again.
--professor chaos