Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Penny Clanking Around in Rear Cyl Head

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 03:07 PM
Mid-level Member
Superstock

fred
Question Penny Clanking Around in Rear Cyl Head

that's what it sounds like, anyway. i'm assuming this is CCT failure and maybe chain jumped.

am i probably right about this??

i stopped to get gas heading home. the station wouldn't take my credit card, so i started up and got back on the street and went into the left turn lane at a busy intersection. as i was moving forward preparing to make the left, the loud clanking began suddenly. i made the left and parked and shut off the bike just past the intersection in the bus-lain (conveniently located).

i was hoping that that instrument cluster mounting bolt collar that disappeared into the bike a couple weeks earlier had finally re-appeared and found it's way into the cooling fan. i got under the bike and spun the fan. very nice and quiet.

i got down on the right side of the bike and started it with my thumb on the kill-switch. clanking is coming from rear cylinder. i killed it after about 2 seconds.

my buddy who just got a used late model Dodge pickup for free(?) wasn't answering his cellphone. he was either riding or knew why i was calling. i'd just mentioned the VTR CCT issue to him yesterday.

$155.00 tow to my garage. 5.1 miles.

i would greatly appreciate confirmation or lack thereof on my belief that it's the CCT.
also, is there a good chance that i've got some sort of valve damage already? or worse?

thanks,

--fred
Old 05-01-2011, 03:26 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Rear cylinder CCT failures are fairly rare but not unheard of. I would tear it down for inspection before I cranked it again.

On a side note: It seems that we have seen numerous CCT failures recently.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:36 PM
Mid-level Member
Superstock

fred
Originally Posted by RWhisen
Rear cylinder CCT failures are fairly rare but not unheard of. I would tear it down for inspection before I cranked it again.

On a side note: It seems that we have seen numerous CCT failures recently.
thanks, pal.
i'm not riding this week. my other bike is waiting for me to strip it down and determine what parts i need in order to fix its coolant leak.

i'm gonna order some pretty APE CCTs. i guess i'll get red ones. if i'm gonna pull the valve cover, i will install them even it the noise turns out to be something different. i hope it isn't a broken valve clanking around in there....
Old 05-01-2011, 03:37 PM
Back Marker

nykuryu is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by fred
that's what it sounds like, anyway. i'm assuming this is CCT failure and maybe chain jumped.

am i probably right about this??

i stopped to get gas heading home. the station wouldn't take my credit card, so i started up and got back on the street and went into the left turn lane at a busy intersection. as i was moving forward preparing to make the left, the loud clanking began suddenly. i made the left and parked and shut off the bike just past the intersection in the bus-lain (conveniently located).

i was hoping that that instrument cluster mounting bolt collar that disappeared into the bike a couple weeks earlier had finally re-appeared and found it's way into the cooling fan. i got under the bike and spun the fan. very nice and quiet.

i got down on the right side of the bike and started it with my thumb on the kill-switch. clanking is coming from rear cylinder. i killed it after about 2 seconds.

my buddy who just got a used late model Dodge pickup for free(?) wasn't answering his cellphone. he was either riding or knew why i was calling. i'd just mentioned the VTR CCT issue to him yesterday.

$155.00 tow to my garage. 5.1 miles.

i would greatly appreciate confirmation or lack thereof on my belief that it's the CCT.
also, is there a good chance that i've got some sort of valve damage already? or worse?

thanks,

--fred
valve damage is almost a guarantee. if your lucky like me my piston was fine however mine slipped at idle.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:11 PM
Mid-level Member
Superstock

fred
Originally Posted by nykuryu
valve damage is almost a guarantee. if your lucky like me my piston was fine however mine slipped at idle.
not what i wanted to hear, but it is what i need to know.
i really didn't want this project bike to revert to being a project project bike right now.
time i got some serious exercise, though. i need to keep two-wheelin' . so the steel-frame bicycle better become my new wheels around town.

thanks, Man.

--fred