Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Occasional clanking sound

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 12:46 AM
Back Marker

avramd is on a distinguished road
Occasional clanking sound

Hello,

Ok, I think I've finally gotten my carbs in working order. There seems to be only one problem left with my bike. Occasionally there is a "clank" or "clang" sound coming from the engine. It is infrequent, and almost entirely random, except that it happens more frequently when I first start riding the bike. I generally let it warm all the way up to 160 degrees before I ride, and it rarely gets above 180 degrees, so I don't think it's a warm-up issue. But somehow actually riding for a while seems to reduce - but not eliminate - it.

It really does sound like a "metal" sound. There is even a tiny bit of a ring to it, as if something metal is resonating as a result of being struck. However it could be the frame resonating, not whatever is causing the actual sound.

It is really making me nervous - it definitely sounds and feels like metal disagreeing with metal. When it happens there is substantial power reduction that is exactly as brief as the sound itself.

Background details: My bike is bone-stock except for micron exhaust. It has only a thousand miles on it. It sat for a year and a half without being properly prepped for storage with the previous owner. I just bought it and overhauled the carbs myself. Actually they were so gunked up that that didn't really work very well, so I ended up putting a different pair in that I got from indierocker. The sound happens with both carbs, though it is much less frequent with the new carbs. I am told the bike ran perfectly before, so the cause is either the sitting or the carb work I did. I just gave it an oil & filter change w/ 10-40 Mobile "3000" I think.

I know this is not the same as "being there" but here's a small audio clip of it for what it's worth: http://archive.est.org/tmp/clanking.mov.

I've done quite a bit of searching here, and the only theories I've come up with so far is CCT's or maybe just a bad cam chain itself. A friend of mine's theory is that something is not gettting properly lubricated. I considered valve clearance at first, but it seems to me that if that were making a sound, it would be nearly constant, not so occasional.

I'd appreciate any perspective/experience before I go ripping my bike apart in search of ghosts.

Thanks!
Old 11-06-2009, 03:08 AM
Squid

Michael2wf is on a distinguished road
w/ 10-40 Mobil "3000" is this a motorcycle oil . Isn't 3000 a car oil ? if so you may have damaged your clucthes or transmisson

Last edited by Michael2wf; 11-06-2009 at 03:10 AM.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:33 AM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
i had a small rattle clank last time i rode, thought it was my cam chain tensioners acting up, turned out my chain was hitting the exhaust, worth a peek see if your chain is rubbing on anything
Old 11-06-2009, 06:14 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Michael2wf
w/ 10-40 Mobil "3000" is this a motorcycle oil . Isn't 3000 a car oil ? if so you may have damaged your clucthes or transmisson
Holy crap. When the heck did engine oil start being motorcycle- and car-specific?

Yes, it is a car oil. The owner's manual says API SG or higher. The oil says "API SM/CF SL,SJ,SH,SG" - and also says the oil must not say "energy conserving," which this oil does not say.

I thought they oil saying "SG" in that list meant that I was all set w/ the API SG requirement in the owner's manual.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:29 AM
Destructive Tester
Superstock

bjorn toulouse is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by avramd
Holy crap. When the heck did engine oil start being motorcycle- and car-specific?

When the marketing DooDs decided they could charge more $$ for "Motorcycle Specific" oil!

If it ain't labeled "Energy Conserving", you're good to go.

As to your noise, I listened to the sound clip and have no clue.
Was the engine idling when it made the noise in the clip?

Rex
Old 11-06-2009, 08:03 AM
Superstock

skoshere is on a distinguished road
thats a carb fart from the sounds of it...
Old 11-06-2009, 10:16 AM
Back Marker

It sounds like a carb fart, but it doesn't feel like one. You can actually feel a slight shock go through the bike when it happens.

I talked to my dealer, and he agrees, the oil I used is fine. It's only a problem if it has some molybdenum additive that synthetics usually have. The irony is I had a friend pick it up for me and I told him to get Mobil 1 - but amidst checking all the other details (primarily the SF/GM SG whatever whatever), he spaced and didn't get M1. So I lucked out on that one.

I checked my chain, it's a little loose, right around 2" of play, so I do need to fix that. I wonder if my chain just needs to be lubricated, maybe a link in there somewhere is kinking a little, but not always?

Someone asked if the sounds were happening at idle. I don't think so, I think it was 2k or 3k rpms.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:31 AM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just_Nick is on a distinguished road
Your chain always needs to be lubed. To be safe, clean it with WD40 and apply a fresh coat of chain lube. You need to do this every 600-800 miles.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:15 AM
Back Marker

revhead1957 is on a distinguished road
Replace the chain if you have the slightest doubt about it. You do not want to throw a chain whilst on the move. Clean it thoroughly, lube it with proper chain lube, and then adjust it to spec (35mm of slack). Check the slack at several points.
If there is a tight link and it is not bending as it goes around the front sprocket you will feel it through the feet as you are riding.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:56 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by avramd

Good lord almighty. Car oils have zinc and other additives that damage the clutch of motorcycles. Use only oil that you buy at your motorcycle dealer and you will be fine..... in the future. As for any damamge that's already been done, you might need to replace the clutch to fix it.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:47 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Yep, it's a carb fart. The reason you feel it through the whole bike is because that backfire causes a small shock in the airbox. The airbox touches the tank (through foam) and is connected loosely to the rest of the bike via hoses.

You're running lean somewhere, and probably need to tweak the carbs just a bit more.

Was that an aftermarket exhaust I heard? If so have you rejetted? At a minimum, adjust the mixture screws to 2.25 turns out and shim the needles if there's no kit in it.

And a good carb sync never hurt either.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:00 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Hawkrider
You're running lean somewhere, and probably need to tweak the carbs just a bit more.

Was that an aftermarket exhaust I heard? If so have you rejetted? At a minimum, adjust the mixture screws to 2.25 turns out and shim the needles if there's no kit in it.

And a good carb sync never hurt either.
It was an aftermarket exhaust, but no jetting. The only thing is, the previous owner swears that nothing like this ever happened before. However, the carb I have in there is not the original carb. It was jetted, but I replaced the kit with all the factory parts from my carb. But I did not touch the mixture screws.

I have since put factory exhaust on, and synced the carbs. Before syncing, w/ just the factory exhaust, the clunk was happening quite a bit less. After syncing, I don't think it has happened once in about 35 miles.

Tweaking the mixture screws sounds like a good idea. Now I'll have to get one of those silly tools. How does 2.25 turns compare to the factory setting?
Old 11-19-2009, 11:30 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
[/QUOTE] the mixture screws sounds like a good idea. Now I'll have to get one of those silly tools. How does 2.25 turns compare to the factory setting?[/QUOTE]

unless you're AR about keeping everything OEM, you can coax it out with a modified tweezers/other and dremel a slot for screwdriver adjustment.

Last edited by nath981; 12-15-2009 at 04:01 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:32 PM
Back Marker

HAHA good one. I came here thinking I was going to be an all OEM guy. I've barely had the bike a month, only really running for two weeks, and I've already done the TPS mod and shimmed my needles. And since I totally *bought* the friggin' dremmel just to do the TPS screws, it'd be nice to get another use out of it.