Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Front head, Can I use a rear head

Old 08-12-2012, 12:16 PM
Squid

Renderw is on a distinguished road
Front head, Can I use a rear head

it's not a perfect fit.. the CCT hole is cast with no screw holes and no through hole, but everything else looks the exact same. so

if I drill/tap screw holes and punch a through hole, for the CCT, can I use a rear head for a front head? or are there other differences?

Sorry for all the posts.. thanks again
Old 08-12-2012, 03:42 PM
Superstock

maniac2313 is on a distinguished road
It can be done but will probably be a pita to get the oil not to leak
Old 08-12-2012, 04:20 PM
aja
SuperSport

aja is on a distinguished road
No, its been asked before.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:03 PM
Squid

Why? what does not line up?
Modified Rear head used as front head.. nothing came up when I searched.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:45 PM
SuperSport

thetophatflash
If Honda considered them interchangeable, there wouldn't be two part numbers and they would have saved substantially on machine tools during manufacturing. I suspect that close is not good enough.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:58 PM
Young Hawk!
Squid

DrewMan996 is on a distinguished road
RenderW hey man that same idea popped into my head also recently... i had a wreck about 3 months ago and am still assembling my "frankenhawk" as i like to call it... i have a collection of 03 parts on a 98 frame... does anyone have any heads for sale??? or know where to purchase just Valves, springs, shims and lifters? or if you can even buy them for one head? my hawk was my DD and i have no transportation and im on a college budget lol.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:44 AM
Back Marker

chemomche is on a distinguished road
you can get rear head and use the valves, spings est. to put them on your front head(if it is not cracked)
i will be doing the same
i had cct failure a month ago, bought rear head, cause it was half the price ot 2 new inlet valves i need
Old 08-13-2012, 04:10 AM
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTRsurfer View Post
Because it's not a front head... 'nuff said.
Though some may appreciate your highly informative and technical answer

Others may want actual information to the question asked.

This intrigues me.. the castings do look similar, and we have all noticed what looks like an unused blank CCT mount..

Have to wounder what the differences are....... would love to know for sure if it's major machining that is different, or something as simply as blacking the unused CCT mount and machining the blank one.

Though it's kind of like the old.. "If you have to ask the price you cant afford it" deal....

If you have to ask "Will it fit, how do I make it fit" you probably do not have the tools or skills to measure, analyze and machine it to fit.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:14 AM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by DrewMan996 View Post
RenderW hey man that same idea popped into my head also recently... i had a wreck about 3 months ago and am still assembling my "frankenhawk" as i like to call it... i have a collection of 03 parts on a 98 frame... does anyone have any heads for sale??? or know where to purchase just Valves, springs, shims and lifters? or if you can even buy them for one head? my hawk was my DD and i have no transportation and im on a college budget lol.
Try RonAyers.com, you can get everything individually as needed or as specified. just look at the Fiche, but if you can get a used good head, you may get it cheaper then these parts and no need to assemble.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:44 AM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
I say if you have the rear head already than give it a try. Maybe prove some people wrong in the process...

General consensus is that the front and rear heads are the exact same casting, otherwise they wouldn't have a provision for opposite CCT cast into the head.

Seems like a sound theory that you could drill/tap the rear head for the front CCT, and drill out the center for the tensioner shaft. Then make a plate to bolt onto the unused CCT to prevent leakage. Sounds like it would work to me.

Possible? Yes. Whether or not it's worth it depends what you can get the rear head for and your machining/fabricating skills.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:07 AM
Squid

simple machining, like holes and tapping are non issue.. I have a lathe and milling machine.. but no engine press. so I can't swap out my guides.. that's why the rear head made sense to me.
I think I may have found a front head in "ok" shape.. for $200 it's a 5 hour round trip drive to look at it.. but if it pans out it's worth the $50 in gas! if it doesn’t then I'm out another $50 lol.. it's all a gamble on this bike.. I bought it cheap.. it's in very rough shape.. once I get the motor running, it will be body time.. not one panel on it isn't cracked or broken.. so still lots of work to go... or buy the ebay panels..
Old 08-13-2012, 12:35 PM
MotoGP

There may be more machining then just the CCT mount, carb manifold may be machined differently, head surface at a different angle.. Mounting holes in the head for other things.. ..

I've had both heads off and sitting on the bench, but did not consider taking the time to compare them.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:27 PM
Squid

I pickup a set of heads tomorrow so I'll take some measurements. Won't need to use the rear as the front is good. But if I get board or adventuris then maybe I'll give it a shot just for fun.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:28 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Renderw View Post
I pickup a set of heads tomorrow so I'll take some measurements. Won't need to use the rear as the front is good. But if I get board or adventuris then maybe I'll give it a shot just for fun.
Other than the differences already mentioned, I think the two heads are identical.
Attached Thumbnails Front head, Can I use a rear head-img_0286.jpg   Front head, Can I use a rear head-img_0289.jpg   Front head, Can I use a rear head-img_0290.jpg  
Old 08-14-2012, 03:50 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by killer5280 View Post
Other than the differences already mentioned, I think the two heads are identical.

The difference being:
Machining of the CCT mount.
Use of a differnt water neck,, but it is removable so not an issue.

So we are talking the need to block an old CCT mount, and machine the unused one.....

Hmmmm

Not bolt on, but very doable if needed.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:11 PM
Squid

Ok so I have the new head.. took measurements, and many pictures.. so the difference to sum up what has already been mentioned.
CCT mount need all 3 holes fixed.. center enlarged and punched through and the two side screw holes drilled and tapped.. but you also have to face the CCT fitting as it's too rough to seal.. easy on a millling machine but don't try with a drill press.
on the other side is the mount for the fairing this will need to be drilled and tapped as well.. other then that I see no reason that this would not work.. might take a couple hours in a shop to complete.
the large hose fittings turn 180 and fit perfect.. the small hose can be fitted by removing a screw that plugs the hole and screwing in the fitting from the front head.

here is the comparison pics
Name:  headshotscomparison.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  127.0 KB
Old 08-14-2012, 11:09 PM
Back Marker

chemomche is on a distinguished road
so thy are pretty the same, but aall the drilling and milling may nit be needed if you just put everything out of the rear head and put it in the fron head casing(if it is not cracked)
fitting new vavle seals and matching the valve seats are things that have to be done anyway so why make your work harder
Old 07-01-2013, 08:03 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
Has anyone actually ever completed this operation, using a rear head in place of a front, and can confirm that it will work if the previously outlined machining operations are performed?