Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

pair system

Old 09-29-2006, 08:21 PM
Squid

andrewlc77 is on a distinguished road
pair system

ok...i understand ther are alot of posts upon this subject but i am in this process and one question....the vent in the valve covers...the big ones....do you cap these as well or reconnect them to the airbox?
Old 09-29-2006, 09:39 PM
Sprung
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
I have them capped. I used what are called "coolant block-off plugs" from Auto Zone. I think they are the 3/4" variety. Did you flip the reed stops?

Alternatively, on my RC51 (when I had it) I used JB Weld to just fill the nipples.
Old 09-30-2006, 12:00 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
I think he's talking about the larger diameter breather hoses from the cam covers to the airbox. I still have those hooked up even though the PAIR valve has been removed and the stopper valves blocked.
I attached a photo showing the hoses I think he's asking about.
Old 09-30-2006, 06:53 AM
Squid

thx killer....those are the ones i am am refering to......so i can block them as well?
Old 09-30-2006, 09:54 PM
Sprung
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
NOOOOOOO! DO NOT block off the breather hoses (larger ones). Blocking those off could do potential harm to the motor. The motor needs to breathe because every motor has blowby. That blowby goes out the breather, through the little filter and/or catch tank in the airbox, and goes back through the intake. If you plug the breather then pressure will build up inside the crankcase and will more than likely start blowing oil seals out. I repeat, DO NOT plug the larger breather ports. Leave them hooked up to the airbox.

Sorry about the confusion from the earlier post. I thought you meant the PAIR ports.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:21 AM
Squid

lol....thx hawk....i figured that was the case......now all i need to do is jet this damn thing so it will stop backfiring through the carbs......its hella lot of fun runnin WOT though...lol......will it hurt the motor by riding it this way?.....with it not jetted
Old 10-02-2006, 12:41 AM
Sprung
World Champion

With free flowing exhaust and maybe a filter, yes. In the long run it's not good for the bike. In short term, it's probably just annoying, with lean surging and backfiring through the carbs. Really, just a good sync and turning the mixture screws out will cure the carb backfiring.