Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Oil Consumption...

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 05:03 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Bandit400man
That's what I heard...but just don't know cause there's no pooling. An It's not intermittent, its a steady decline over time. But yes, its more pronounced on long rides it seems, as compared to a few miles here an there around town...
An no seepage either. You wipe clean, it stays clean...
These bikes actually have a relatively small crankcase volume so the blow by does tend to pump oil vapor into the airbox. That is also why it tends to be a little worse if you run for a while at high RPMs.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:05 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by tbartley
My .02 to that question is yes. I had my a-box off about a dozen times in the past couple months and would discover some oil. I wiped it out and checked the ventilation tube coming from the front cylinder. It would have oil in it, also.

That's my experience with this situation. It's intermittent, but definitely does occur.

8541Hawk...you are one of the Kings on this site...never forget that!
Nah I'm just another forum member...maybe a little crusty at time but nobody special though thanks.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:02 PM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
Cool Good Grief

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
So to get back on topic after that brief intermission....

If any of you would like to know more about why I have the theory (and yes it is just a theory like I stated when I first posted it) of how the intermittent oil consumption can be caused by the ring gaps lining up, I would be happy to write it up.

It is rather simple and quite logical if you look at things like, number of pistons, engine displacement & crankcase volume.

Also, at least on my bike, each and every time, I have had this happen there have been traces of oil in the airbox.

So it is on of those things of, if it is not leaking out it has to be going somewhere. Plus why does it only do it intermittently? As on mine it will do it once in a while and then just stop. If it was caused by a seal or ring failure I can not see how it would stop once it starts.

If anyone else has a theory of why this can happen, I would like to hear it.
8451Hawk,

I'm sorry I thought everyone knew that rings rotate in the bore. Hell that's why they taught us 120 degrees apart on installation. Where this guy is coming from if baffeling at best.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:58 AM
Superstock

Bandit400man is on a distinguished road
Hahaha turmoil in the middle east is no solution we should give a rat's butt about! It's never going away. What ever happened to staying out of other countries' business? ...yeah please don't comment on that comment LOL....

Anyway, nothing is 'intermittent' or 'inconsistent'. That's your thread, skokievtr!

This problem with consuming oil is simply that. That I have to feed it oil every few hundred miles.

Consensus is that its normal, whatever the cause, correct? Or least does not warrant any work.