OEM CCT Replaced

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 06:47 PM
Back Marker

WhOrD is on a distinguished road
OEM CCT Replaced

Took me 4 hours. Replaced Auto CCT with MCCT using the guide

CCTs-How to change OEM to Manual Ape CCTs - SuperHawk Forum

It would be nice to show the "lobe" which faces towards each other since only one RT mark has the lobes in this position.

Removed spark plugs and carbs so it was eazy peazy. I kept spinning it around just to watch the things work..amazing..anyhow.

Zip tied chain, carfully...carfully removed OEM cct....a little oil..nothing much.. on the rear..

Installed new mcct with locktite. hand tight in (give it some muscle) + 1/4 out once stopped.

Rotate 450* counter clockwise to FT....if you miss it, no big deal just keep spinning and re-time from rear TDC!

***...!!!Slowly!!! undo front OEM cct......install same as above.

Re-assembled Idles as normal .... with its shity richness...but same ol bike.

Go around the neighborhood, everythings good!
Accelerate onto the freeway, were at 75 and all good!
Crusing for a few minutes.
Pushing it up to 130mph. Allright mission accomplished.

Torn back down for Hawk carb setup..................(have OEM air filter + 175/178 waiting for install)

Currently::::: 190 /195 48 pilot DJ needle K&N (runs well in high rpm, runs RICH!!!! low / mid rpm)

**Waiting for my OEM carb parts to arrive!

Last edited by WhOrD; 03-17-2013 at 09:51 PM. Reason: accuracy
Old 03-17-2013, 10:46 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

supermarto is on a distinguished road
I'm on the fence if I wanna try this or pay my mechanic...
Old 03-18-2013, 07:18 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by supermarto
If your mechanic is competent and can be trusted to do it right.
I get a lot of satisfaction from doing this type of project myself and I don't like paying for something I can do myself. I'm a firm believer in DYI.
Read the threads that cover the install. Read it as many times that it takes to understand it perfectly. I'm sure that you can do it, if you completely understand the whole process. It's not rocket science. Even if it was, there are people on this forum that are that kind of smart and will guide you through just about anything.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:00 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

My tech is an Italian guy who owns an Aprilia/Ducati shop and runs a race team, I've got all the faith in the world in him. I could do it myself. However, I also have a two year old who I have custody of on all of my weekends, not every other one. Makes it hard to find the time for raking leaves and washing my car, let alone wrenching on my bike... It pains me to leave it to him, but it's more of a time issue I guess.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:01 AM
El Cheapo
Back Marker

cat0020 is on a distinguished road
What's the mileage on your VTR that it requires CCT to be changed?
OEM cam chain making noise?
Old 03-18-2013, 09:12 AM
Back Marker

If everything goes as planned, it's not bad at all.

Had I skipped a tooth, I would have taken it to a mechanic as my expertise and time only go so far.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:41 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

Originally Posted by WhOrD
If everything goes as planned, it's not bad at all.

Had I skipped a tooth, I would have taken it to a mechanic as my expertise and time only go so far.
I think I could find four hours to spare, but it would have to be done in stages... and I hate having to put it back together days later, I like to have the recent memory of how it came apart, lol.

But I am pulling the carbs off soon to clean them and install new pilots and experiment with shim height, and I will prolly do the TPS mod while that's out too. I thought about doing the pair removal at that time too, but I wanna make sure it runs good before I do that, I don't want to track down too many possibles if it's running shiddy... but since the new Kreiger manual CCT's are on my bench now waiting to go in and the carbs will be pulled, I might wanna attempt it.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:10 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
However, I also have a two year old who I have custody of on all of my weekends, not every other one. Makes it hard to find the time for raking leaves and washing my car, let alone wrenching on my bike... It pains me to leave it to him, but it's more of a time issue I guess.
I think I could find four hours to spare, but it would have to be done in stages... and I hate having to put it back together days later, I like to have the recent memory of how it came apart, lol.
I hear that.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:31 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

And by "pains me," I don't mean deprives me of the joy of wrenching on her. I'm talking about the painful hole in my checking account, lol.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:05 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
Super, it can be done in less then 4 1/2 hrs as Who did. I'm not taking anything away from Who's methode. He probably really, really, really wanted to be sure it was done right.....which is the way to go about it when you're not sure.
Planning the job before beginning will be the best way to cut down on time.
Have tools ready at hand, and follow instructions as per thread, it should go smoothly. Once you put the little guy to sleep at night, you will have enough time to tackle the project, and, be done before the late night **** begins
Old 03-19-2013, 07:54 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Last thing you want to do is rush a job that you're tight on time for though . First time on this job, I'd plan on 4 hours... it may only take two, but you drop a bolt in the engine case or skip a tooth and you're cursing at 2 in the morning hoping to have a ride for Monday...

It's a good project for DIY though, doesn't take precision instruments or have a whole lot of things to get lost or re-assemble.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:02 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

You guys are confidence inspiring like I'm hoping my new Michelin Pilot Road 3's are gonna be. I know I'm tooled for the job, the sticky here is detailed, and Mark Krieger includes some fine instructions with his product. I'll probably attempt it when I pull the carbs to do the pilots & mod the tps. Hell I put a 305 Camaro motor in my '86 Astro van, I can do this. And if I did farg it up, my income taxes should be here in time to fix it, lol...
Old 03-19-2013, 12:50 PM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
I have Mark's CCT's and used his instructions to do the job just to be sure.
They are clear and accurate.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:43 PM
Superstock

cybercarl is on a distinguished road
Mark Krieger includes some fine instructions with his product
I wonder where he got them from LOL

For anyone who is mechanically minded and uderstands how a four stroke engine works, they could do this job in an 1h if they have done it before and know what they are doing, and as long as everything goes smoothly and you don't run into any problems. But 7moore is right and it's best to take your time and not rush things and double check yourself. Things could go horribly wrong if done incorrectly.

Before you or your mechanic starts this job, just check that the centre cap on the generator cover removes easily enough as they have a tendency to seize (made out of cheese) crap ally. This can add a few hours to the job as you have to wreck the cap to get it out with a hammer and punch.

(:-})
Old 03-19-2013, 11:13 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

That's a good tip... I'll check the cap pronto.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:58 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

superdutyd is on a distinguished road
I'd take the instructions available on this board and give them to the mechanic. If he doesn't want to follow them, definately don't let him touch them. Not a hard job to do, just not fun.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:00 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Last time I did CCT's it took four hours just because once we took the rear valve cover off, we decided to check valve lash, so then did the front and because the tank was off ran through the carbs to see what he was running and since they were off adjusted the TPS and clean them a bit... before we knew it time had run away. Plus, I forgot how to take off and assemble the fairings
Old 03-20-2013, 08:50 AM
Superstock

Last time I did CCT's it took four hours just because once we took the rear valve cover off, we decided to check valve lash, so then did the front and because the tank was off ran through the carbs to see what he was running and since they were off adjusted the TPS and clean them a bit...
That's funny. I know how you feel though. It's just where do you draw the line as one thing can lead to another. I guess it's either stick to the job in hand and crack on, or take your time and do other things while your in there to save doing it at a later date.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:11 AM
Back Marker

I purchased the Kreiger CCT. Very VERY good quality. I am amazed he does this on his own.

Gaskets were included however I did request them also.

The instructions provided are accurate. However, as a squiddy squid squid, I needed pictures.

I could do it over again eazy peazy now that I have completed the process...however if a tooth jumps...well that's a whole new monster and every project is popping my cheery........lol

***I highly suggest you remove the rear cover. RT hits twice and you want the cam lobes to be facing in at one another. THen its just an easy 450* (1+1/4) turn counterclockwise to FT.

Last edited by WhOrD; 03-21-2013 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:44 AM
Superstock

I highly suggest you remove the rear cover. RT hits twice and you want the cam lobes to be facing in at one another.
That's a must and I highly suggest one removes the front cover as well. The front cam lobes will point upwards and outwards when on the compression stroke for the front.

Well done on getting it completed.