Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

One cylinder problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 07:23 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just_Nick is on a distinguished road
One cylinder problem

So my bike decided to run on one cylinder today. The weird thing is that it would only do it sometimes.
At idle it would only run on one cylinder. I needed to rev it to 5k and feather the clutch to get it going and keep it from dying.
Once it was going and I kept a steady cruise it would start running on both, however if I got on the gas too much, if I barely gave it any it was fine, it would go back to running on a single cylinder.
And once I passed 4.5k rpm, it would start running on both again.
I tested the front coil with two different plugs and it sparked with both. I don't know how strong the spark should be on the bike though. However I don't think it would be the coil, since it would more likely stop working at higher RPM.
When I pulled the front plug boot it would still run on a single cylinder. When I pulled the rear it would try starting a little, maybe run for a split-second, then die. So obviously the front cylinder is in question.
When I pulled the plug for the spark test, I noticed that the plug was not wet at all. So either there is no fuel or the plug is sparking enough to burn the fuel.
What think you?

I tried opening the gas tank, no help. Sucking on the tank vent hose did nothing either.

Last edited by Just_Nick; 11-07-2009 at 07:34 PM.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:05 PM
996 new guy
Superstock

FireRescue is on a distinguished road
crank it a few times with the front plug out, place a napkin or shop rag in the hole where the plug goes just to "cover" it... if you smell fuel after you pull it out then you are obviously getting it...
Old 11-07-2009, 08:26 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

I've pulled the carbs already, will clean them tomorrow.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:33 PM
996 new guy
Superstock

Gotcha... nevermind then
Old 11-07-2009, 08:58 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

If anyone has had this problem, could you let me know what the problem turned out to be?
And the bike rev'ed to 9k.
Old 11-08-2009, 04:01 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Mine was water in a connection.. every time I washed the bike, or rode in the rain, My tach would die, or I'd run on one cyl, or both. Problem with helping you is,,,, I don’t know specifically what fixed it.. I rode it in to the shop, disassembled the bike down to the frame, and put everything back together cleaning connections and using dielectric grease as I went.
That was two years ago, it’s never happened since. So, check all connections unplug, look for corrosion, signs of excess resistance (melted) clean as you go, and use some dielectric grease.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:56 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

So I just cleaned the carbs. Actually I noticed that none of the jets were clogged to begin with, but I blasted all the ports out anyways.
As a second cleaner, I sprayed some carb cleaner into the fuel line and blew into the fuel line until it felt clear.
When I started it, it ran on both cylinders. And when I pulled out of the driveway it was still on both. But once I was out of the driveway and gave it some gas it went back to two.
I tried the rag over the plug-hole trick and it smelled a little like fuel. Does that mean I'm getting it? Or should the rag have fuel on it too?
Old 11-08-2009, 01:58 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Oh, and I adjusted my TPS. It was at .910k ohms, but I could only get it down to 550k ohms.
Old 11-08-2009, 03:51 PM
996 new guy
Superstock

Mine wreaked of fuel when I did it, like the rag had residulal fuel on it when it came out- enough that I could have easily lit it.
Old 11-08-2009, 04:31 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Mine had a faint smell of fuel, but no residual fuel.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:25 AM
COBB Member
Superstock

stebbdt is on a distinguished road
I had a similar problem, at a steady 80mph it would drop to 1 cyl. if I let off the throttle then get back into it, both cyl firing. Riding twisties, no problem, lots of on/off the throttle. Found I had a bunch of rust crap in the tank blocking the screen in the tank at steady speeds (like a clogged filter on a car, let off the gas car runs) also found my fuel valve diaphragm torn. Fixed both issues, no problems since. She'll run 120+ for as long as ya got the calzones'
Old 11-09-2009, 09:20 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by stebbdt
I had a similar problem, at a steady 80mph it would drop to 1 cyl. if I let off the throttle then get back into it, both cyl firing. Riding twisties, no problem, lots of on/off the throttle. Found I had a bunch of rust crap in the tank blocking the screen in the tank at steady speeds (like a clogged filter on a car, let off the gas car runs) also found my fuel valve diaphragm torn. Fixed both issues, no problems since. She'll run 120+ for as long as ya got the calzones'
+1 sounds like this could be the culprit Just_Nick!
Old 11-09-2009, 09:33 AM
Who are you?
SuperSport

I'm thinking it is a torn diaphragm too. I will pull the rear cylinder plug and see if it also doesn't spit fuel.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:35 AM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Problem solved, it was the coil.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:04 PM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
How did you get there? process of ellimination? Did the coil test bad or did you swap them?
Just curious in case this ever happens to me...
Old 11-19-2009, 06:47 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Pull the spark plug boots one at the time and see if the way it runs changes.
Once you have identified the "bad coil" you can swap the front and the back coil and see if the symptoms swap coils. If they do, you have ruled out fueling, air, and electrical problems.

Last edited by Just_Nick; 11-19-2009 at 06:53 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:49 PM
Back Marker

avramd is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Just_Nick
Pull the spark plug boots one at the time and see if the way it runs changes.
Once you have identified the "bad coil" you can swap the front and the back coil and see if the symptoms swap coils. If they do, you have ruled out fueling, air, and electrical problems.
Cool, good to know, and nice technique.

For anyone else finding this thread, another problem that can yield similar "running on one cylinder" behavior is having a messed up enricher (choke) valve. I broke the fitting on one of mine when putting my carbs back in (easy to do, plastic - don't over-tighten, barely more than finger tight). The effect was that the front cylinder didn't start b/c it wasn't choked, but the back one did b/c it was. In theory if I ran it for a while, the front cyl would have warmed up and then done something - but probably not well - since it would effectively have been running with the enricher over-opened all the time.

Also, note that even if you thread the enricher connectors in correctly, you can still accidentally pull the cable out a good inch or so, making the enricher "on" all the time.