Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Not a tire thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 08:57 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Not a tire thread

After 5700 mi. the PP3 rear was done. For the last 1000-1500 mi. the tire developed a visible ridge along the point where the compound changes hardness. Had not seen this on the previous 2CT (not a PP3). I have about 200 yds of gravel/dirt road and driveway to get to my garage. I have noticed that dust does not stick on the softer side of the compound change point on the tire.Not a tire thread-pp3.jpg
Old 02-28-2015, 11:34 AM
SuperBike
SuperBike

thedeatons is on a distinguished road
I noticed this on my friend's pp3 also...

James
Old 02-28-2015, 11:52 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
I believe that is pretty common, my Bridgestone bt-023 shows the same. I'll look for a pic.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:08 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
5700 miles on a tire? I am guessing that tire was beat many miles ago. Cant picture getting that many miles on pavement.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:26 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
5700 miles on a tire? I am guessing that tire was beat many miles ago. Cant picture getting that many miles on pavement.
Yeah, it was probably done 700-1000 mi. previously. I'm cheep and the wonky tip in is something I just put up with.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:08 AM
MotoGP

Yeah, me too, I am cheap. So I just never change the oil and never clean my visor since that would cost me.

And forget about brake pads, let em go down to the backing! That's a good money saving plan. Heck I am running creaking rusty wheel bearings and chain. My helmet is from the 70s, got it for free.

Cheap is the way. Cheap and smart.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:09 AM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
Oh, man, mother smokinjoe is about to go off on a tire safety fulmination just before he posts some pics riding in the latest snow storm. Bring it on, brother, er, I mean mother.

Edit: Dammit, he beat me to the punch.

Last edited by VTR1000F; 03-01-2015 at 08:11 AM.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:54 AM
SuperBike

Yeah, me too, I am cheap. So I just never change the oil and never clean my visor since that would cost me.

And forget about brake pads, let em go down to the backing! That's a good money saving plan. Heck I am running creaking rusty wheel bearings and chain. My helmet is from the 70s, got it for free.

Cheap is the way. Cheap and smart.
I fully understand your passion and your stand on safety and stupidity.
Point well taken. Thanks.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:31 PM
MotoGP

Haha. Just had to point out the false economy. I have ridden safely year round for 25yrs. Not stopping now.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:34 PM
MotoGP

And in that 25 years, you've never been past 5700 miles on a tire?
Old 03-01-2015, 02:11 PM
Squid

Bustin is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Wolverine
And in that 25 years, you've never been past 5700 miles on a tire?

Dang, I can't find my soapbox... or I'd jump up on there and lecture y'all on the importance of checking and maintaining the correct air pressure in your tires on the reg , to avoid premature wear , lol.

Kiddin' , just kiddin' ....

I'm sure glad we don't discuss tire choices here, or I'd also have to spend the extra time to type out my opinion about the PP2 being a better tire all-around than the "new" PP3 ,especially when it comes to tread life , mileage, etc. etc. but hey.....
Old 03-01-2015, 02:12 PM
MotoGP

Maybe back in college on my Magna. But not since I could afford more than ramen did I skimp on tires. Heck you can find used tires for 20 bucks. Cheapness is no excuse.

Like I said, you may as well ride with no brakes, crash & tell the hospital you were saving $ on pads so wont pay the bill.

Lots of stuff can cause a crash but equipment shouldn't.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:21 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

This is your second warning, Bustin. Read my signature.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:27 PM
MotoGP

See now bustin, THAT is an interesting opinion since I do really want to try some Michelins PP somethings. Maybe 2s based on that.

I know that they are way more compliant than my dunlops.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:44 PM
MotoGP

Like I said, you may as well ride with no brakes, crash

Last edited by Wolverine; 03-01-2015 at 02:48 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 03:50 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine, your opinion is that 5700 is reasonable mileage to have on a tire?

That's pretty sensible.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:04 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

Maybe you need to cut-down on the burnouts, joe. Or, maybe snow and ice wear out a tire faster than asphalt.

Seriously joe, why is "your" arbitrary number of 5700 better than my arbitrary number of 6500, or 4800, or whatever to be considered too much?

Last edited by VTR1000F; 03-01-2015 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:08 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTR1000F
Oh, man, mother smokinjoe is about to go off on a tire safety fulmination just before he posts some pics riding in the latest snow storm. Bring it on, brother, er, I mean mother.

Edit: Dammit, he beat me to the punch.
oh, the irony of it all, "ice rider" preaching safety.......
Old 03-01-2015, 06:42 PM
MotoGP

Yeah, well, there is no real proof of theory except real world mileage I believe. You can disagree or dislike my opinions, but you really cant argue with how I came to them.

VTR that is funny about the burnout thing tho'.

Besides, all I said was that 5700mi on a tire is too much. Geesh Bob Marley, I didn't shoot the sheriff.

Last edited by smokinjoe73; 03-01-2015 at 08:47 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:55 PM
Squid

See now bustin, THAT is an interesting opinion since I do really want to try some Michelins PP somethings. Maybe 2s based on that.

I know that they are way more compliant than my dunlops.
I'm glad we aren't discussing tires , because I might feel compelled to point out that due to the existing aggressive pricing on Michelin PP2 tires, primarily due to Western Powersports , the PP2 series currently offers the rare opportunity to get the best tires for the lowest price, at least if you are going to talk major brands.

But we aren't talking. Right ?

FWIW I am actually more of a Dunlop guy, historically ...with nothing against Bridgestone , either. The technology envelope on sportbike tires just keeps getting narrower and narrower over the years, and anybody who says "such and such a brand's supersport tires SUCK" is probably in denial about a recent lowside that was more about rider error than brand of tire, lol.

Or they ran the freakin' thing at 24 lbs. for 3000 miles, then couldn't figure out why it wore out so quick.

But that's all a moot point, since we aren't talkin' tires.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:01 AM
SuperBike

HaHaHa....I didn't want this to descend into a real tire thread. Who am I kidding. That's exactly what I wanted.
I appreciate Joe's concern for not cutting corners where it is unwise to do so. That sort of view point helps me filter what is and what I is think is prudent behavior. Everyone knows something you don't.

Bustin. I ran PP2 before the 3 and found that the milage was less than the 3. Also the softer carcase of the 2 was not to my liking. The bike seems more planted with less squirming over surface irregularities and in the corners with the 3. I know this can be just personal preference, but this observation is backed up in part by some of the staunch Dunlop fans here. Which I have been wanting to try, but will have to wait till next time when both ends get replacement rubber.
Interesting observation about the tech of the tires improving and the gross differences between brands shrinking.

My apologizes to VTR1000F, I just can't resist. I changed my oil recently too.

Last edited by xeris; 03-03-2015 at 08:09 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-02-2015, 05:09 AM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

Well, to be honest, I read my whole signature and, in the end, I guess I'm no better than the rest of you.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:50 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by xeris

Bustin. I ran PP2 before the 3 and found that the milage was less than the 3. Also the softer carcase of the 2 was not to my liking. The bike seems more planted with less squirming over surface irregularities and in the corners with the 3. I know this can be just personal preference, but his observation is backed up in part by some of the staunch Dunlop fans here.
I've heard that more than once, although my personal opinion is the opposite. I felt that the extra sipes on the 3 made for less precise handling , although they almost certainly would perform better on wet pavement , and it stands to reason they would last longer. Lets be clear...we are talking very subtle differences in handling here, all of which could be placed squarely in the "personal preference" catagory . To be fair, I've got some classic/vintage bikes still rolling on bias plys , and grew up riding on B.S. Mag-Mopus ,Metzler Lasertechs, etc.....so anything running ANY modern sportbike tire feels like a dream come true to me, lol.

I rip around on the SH or Z-Rex for awhile, then jump on one of my old Nighthawks or Ascots and forget that a 130/90-16 bias ply doesn't quite grip the way a modern sportbike radial does , to say the least.

My comments about the PP2 currently being the "best value" had more to do with the fact that WPS is blowing them out right now with an extra 15% off dealer cost...probably because they are going away soon, now that we are rolling out the new Pilot Power 4s. I'm actually running the original Pilot Powers on my SH right now, because it had a fresh rear on it when I bought it and I like to run matched tires. They are awesome tires to ride but I fully expect them to wear out MUCH quicker than the newer multi-compound designs.

On my big heavy ZRX1200R, I recently replaced my Pilot Road 2's with the 3s, and found them to be a little less precise , and certainly more inclined to grab a groove in the road , but haven't had a chance to compare tread life yet. That's my long range touring bike though, so it does see so rain from time to time, and I think the siping will be much appreciated when it does.

I'd really like to try the new Dunlop Q3s , but Michelin makes it really hard to shop brands, with their super-aggressive dealer pricing.

Bottomline, I'm always interested in hearing other rider's opinions on tires , and generally respect those opinions, especially if the rider in question doesn't crash everytime we go on a ride , lol.

My riding buddy Alex has a 929, rides the crap out of it, and lowsides about as often as I lube my chain. He LOVES Conti Road Attacks. I'm like , "dude, I had those on a bike I bought used and felt like I was gonna die everytime I leaned the bike over" , and he's like "yeah , that's what I LOVE about them !!"

Fair Dinkum. He recently got a barely used set of them for free, from his good buddy Bustin.

Anyway, I'm sure glad we don't discuss tires here. What's the best oil to run in my Superhawk ?
Old 04-20-2015, 01:32 PM
Back Marker

AndyMX47 is on a distinguished road
Can help but pile on to the tire train wreck!

Put a set of Conti-Motion tires on my bike late fall for $145 shipped. I have almost 2000 miles on them, and the rear is pretty uniformly down to the wear bars, but the front looks great - even wear, no cupping, etc.

I ride mostly twisty mountain roads, and definitely need to work on "smoothing" my style out - I ride with some pretty fast guys, and tend to over brake, lean it over hard, then over-accelerate, so could see someone smoother than me getting many more miles out of the rear. I've never had either the front or the rear slip, however, and that is running the rear right out to the edge of the tire.

I'm going to try a Dunlop Roadsmart II on the rear. One of my riding buddies rides a VFR800 at a pretty brisk pace, mostly 2-up, and is getting about 4000 miles out of his rear tires.

Film at 11.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:23 PM
MotoGP

That's what I am running. I like it a lot.