Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Tire thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 09:11 AM
Squid

RuthlessButcher is on a distinguished road
Tire thread

Thought I'd bring on a thread to see which tires you are all running. Mine came with Pirelli Corsa's and it's time for a new rear. The thing is I have Dunlop Qualifiers on my YZF600R second set and absolutely love em. So before I commit to the Pirelli's again for my VTR I thought I'd see what everyone else thought
Old 08-30-2009, 09:48 AM
SuperSport

mboe794 is on a distinguished road
Bridgestone Battleax BT-016. Just as good a tire as 2ct's but quite a bit cheaper. About 70% of the people I ride with run these.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:52 AM
Squid

By the looks of your mods I'd say you might be a more aggressive rider than myself. Thanks for your input
Old 08-30-2009, 09:54 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
depends on how you use the bike. I have qualifiers on the SH and another bike, and they are as good as anything I have ever used and on at least one track day have held up well and performed great. I will get them again, no question - though I'm waiting for the Qualifier2 to be available in the US (this month I hear) which from everything I read says even better and another leap forward in tires. There is always something else to try, but for me these are all around great tires with OK mileage for their performance.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:01 AM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just_Nick is on a distinguished road
The BT016's are great. I haven't gone through a set yet, so I don't know how long they last, but they do grip and turn in very well.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:05 AM
Squid

wow thanks everyone for your replies! I'm glad to see the Dunlops get some recognition. I too find the grip well even in the wet and turn in quickly. I saw a review of tires in one of my bike mags and apparently the pirelli's are lighter which should enable better gyroscopic effect. The problem is these are my 2 first bikes and the only 2 types of tires I've used.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:20 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
everyone's opinion is different. this opinion has been the same regardless of the magazine test I've read on the new ones at least. most of us won't get the chance to compare side by side of course

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/545/38...ct-Review.aspx
Old 08-30-2009, 01:04 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
I use Honda 10w40.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:08 PM
MotoGP

But seriously, another tire thread?....okay I'll bite.

I'm on my 4th rear and 3rd front Qualifier, and I love them. And for the price I pay for them, I don't even consider anything else. The dealer I go to gives 40% off list on Dunlops.

I get 7,000+ miles on the rears.

Last edited by VTRsurfer; 08-30-2009 at 05:47 PM.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:31 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
After many years of riding, countless hours of tireological research, I insist the finest tires are round in shape, black in color, have a rather large hole in the middle.

Most people think the tires on their bike are the best. I prefer Dunlops.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:01 PM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
Conti road attack

No special reason, just because...
Old 08-30-2009, 05:00 PM
Squid

hurdsmyth is on a distinguished road
Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart installed this summer, its fairly expensive but after 3000 miles it shows very little wear. These have 9/32 tread depth where Qualifier is 7/32. It is a dual compound rubber so the sides are fairly sticky. Also better in wet weather than a pure sport tire. I'm thinking i'll be able to get 9000+ miles out of it.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:03 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
I like tires that are light and stick well and last at least 5000 miles, and are priced competitively. I have a BTO-16 now but will probably get a Michelin Power One DOT or a Dunlop Q2. If you ride aggressively, buy sticky tires; if you ride conservatively, it probably doesn't matter as much.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:44 PM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
no matter the 'model' ... 208zr,qualifier, diablo / corsa, corsa pro... dragons,n-tech,209 ....etc. etc. i've ran them all.

dunlops have a stiffer carcass vs pirelli.

the pirelli will feel like it moves around a bit where the dunlop always feels
solid, from cold to hot.

a double edge sword though... the stiffer carcass lets you feel everything on the road where the pirelli dampens it out somewhat. imo the dunlop gives you too much feedback and you can loose a sense of the overall grip. the pirelli 'hides' a bit of the surface contour but lets you focus on grip.

for street riding i like the pirelli corsa & the track i'd give the nod to the new n-tech 211.

ALL the modern tires have plenty of grip for some good carving it really comes down to what gives you the most confidence.

tim
Old 08-31-2009, 10:13 AM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
wow, I can't believe I'm the first one to chime in about michelines. pilot power 2ct's rock. I'm on my second set now. my first set saw 2 track days spaced a year apart, and did road duty in between. when I took them off, they still had plenty of meat left. I needed new tires for this year's trackday because the old ones had simply gone through too many heat cycles. but if it were just street riding, I'd still have lots of miles left on the old ones. best tire I've ever had.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:25 AM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
BT-021's for high mileage
BT-016's for fun
BT-003's for track shredding

2CT's were definitely substantial tires...3 trackdays and plenty of street riding under the USS RC51 and they both had tread left when I took them off. Just needed fresher tires for the track. Compare that to the BT-003 and that was to the wear bars after 2 days this past weekend on the track. Started brand new Saturday morning...
Old 08-31-2009, 12:51 PM
MotoGP

$$$$$$$$$

But fun, I'm sure!
Old 08-31-2009, 01:23 PM
Superstock

cameron is on a distinguished road
well im running the lowly shinko 009 raven. after 3,000+ miles i cant even tell if they have worn. im not dragging knees or running on the track but theses tires have handled everything i can throw at them without letting me down. i ran one set of qualifiers on my superhawk and cant figure how in the world anyone can get even close to 7,000 miles on a rear qualifier? my rear qualifier was showing cords at 3,600 miles? and for this reason i changed to some cheaper rubber for the hawk.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:01 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by cameron
well im running the lowly shinko 009 raven. after 3,000+ miles i cant even tell if they have worn. im not dragging knees or running on the track but theses tires have handled everything i can throw at them without letting me down. i ran one set of qualifiers on my superhawk and cant figure how in the world anyone can get even close to 7,000 miles on a rear qualifier? my rear qualifier was showing cords at 3,600 miles? and for this reason i changed to some cheaper rubber for the hawk.
Your low mileage on the Qualifier may have to do with the road temp where you ride and the condition of the roads. I got 8,000 on one rear before the tread was almost gone in the center. I usually replace as soon as the wear bars hit, which has been consistently at about 7,000 miles.

When I did a 50 mile inland freeway run on a hot day to get to the mountains, there were little pieces of balled up rubber in the center when I got off the freeway.

Oh, and I forgot the big one...tire pressure. I run 36 front & 38 rear, lower pressure will yield shorter tread life, higher pressure (up to recommended 42 psi) should improve wear, but with slightly less grip. And higher pressure would allow the tire to run cooler.

Last edited by VTRsurfer; 08-31-2009 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:21 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cameron
I've never heard/read anything but good reports on Shinko. I've stuck with Dunlops partly for emotional reasons, but mostly 'cause I buy the recently discontinued ones at deep discount.

I don't race, and I'm cheap. So it's worked out fine for me.

I'm currently running Dunlop D220s. A discontinued "sport tour" tire. I got them cheap. They are both stickier and longer lasting than the 'pure sport" 204s which came with the bike.

Just depends what you or your ego wants or "needs'. The cheapest spec tires of today are better than the most expensive "super sport" tires you could have bought 10 or 12 years ago.

Good thing Obummer's too busy trying to take over the insurance industry to federalize the tire industry.

Last edited by RK1; 08-31-2009 at 02:44 PM.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:53 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
I'm running 2CT's... I haven't really tried the current offerings from other manufacturers, but one generation back I shopped around and found these to suit me... I do long mile's and daily commute...

But, no... I will not run touring or sport/touring tires that make me nervous on my commute... (Yeah, commute might mean different things...)
Old 08-31-2009, 04:16 PM
SuperSport

Here's my little review on the front BT-016. Great tire. And that's about all that needs to be said. But I do have some pics here of what one looks like both before and after my superhawk gets to it. I wish I could tell you exactly how many mile are on it but I honestly don't have a clue. But I do know this thing has gone through absolute Hell and back. I put it on at the end of last season. Rode on it maybe twice last year. But it made it all the way till last weekend. Mostly aggressive twisty riding, not a whole lot of commuting and ridden almost every weekend. All for $90
Attached Thumbnails Tire thread-img_2692.jpg   Tire thread-img_2693.jpg  
Old 08-31-2009, 05:35 PM
Squid

wow bro looking at that rubber I don't think I need another rear until next year! Not sure what Minneapolis' weather is like but unfortunately I do a fair amount of riding in the rain, not too sure if I have big enough nuts to keep running mine to that point
Old 08-31-2009, 05:41 PM
SuperSport

The way I look at it less tread means more rubber on the road. It never once gave me an uneasy feeling. I kept expecting it to but it just wouldn't. Even when the rear wanted to get a little squirlly the front held its ground. Anyway I'm pretty proud of what I managed to do to that tire. I guess I got my money's worth.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:56 AM
Back Marker

bowhawk is on a distinguished road
Just went to a rear Pilot Road 2. This is the best compromise I have ridden between grip and longevity. I put ~10,000km on it and it is still good in the middle and the sides are comparable to a 2CT. I rode 2CT's prior to this and they last about 5000km before flat spotting. The front 2CT was even worse. The hawk eats this tire when pushing hard. I just ordered a set for the hawk and my KTM Duke at ~$350/set Canadian delivered. Cheers
Old 09-01-2009, 11:38 AM
Back Marker

storm_rider is on a distinguished road
+1. The Michelin Pilot Road 2 appears not to wear as fast as other tires I've tried (even on my 'Busa ).
Old 09-01-2009, 01:24 PM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
http://www.chaparral-racing.com has some crazy low prices on Bridgestones right now... and free shipping to boot.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:30 PM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by mboe794
The way I look at it less tread means more rubber on the road. It never once gave me an uneasy feeling. I kept expecting it to but it just wouldn't. Even when the rear wanted to get a little squirlly the front held its ground. Anyway I'm pretty proud of what I managed to do to that tire. I guess I got my money's worth.
My front BT016 was worn pretty much like that too. Lasted about 5000 miles. And like you said, never did anything funny, even when all the tread was gone. (Guys were teasing me about running slicks on the street. )
Old 09-01-2009, 05:27 PM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
mich road 2 here.
in 1998 i burned through a d207 in 3500kms and the first 1600kms were easy for
breaking in the motor. i declared war on low mileage tires. i switched to macadam 90s, then 100s, then roads, now road 2s. all has been well. one set of roads got me 17000kms, one a gixxer1k!!! awesome!
i'm going to go read about the harder dual compound dunlops.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:11 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
I know this an old thread, but reluctant to start an new tire thread. It would, I believe, be helpful to report tire experiences so that others can make more informed choices. Variables such as rear tire weight, profile, actual size, stickiness, price, and longevity would be helpful.

presently running Q2s standard sizes and have about 3500 miles on them. I bugged the dunlop tech for tire weight since I neglected to weigh and he gave me 14.8 lbs for the rear. I was disappointed as this seems heavy to me. Ride twisties primarily and rear is showing rapidly disappearing tread. Front is still lookin good which is surprising to me as I use trail braking religiously. That said, with my gearing combined with the torque and enormous engine braking of the SH can wreak havoc on the rear tire. Add to this 28psi rear and 30psi front and you have a recipe for short tire life.

Quick Reply: Tire thread