Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Not an all weather bike....

Old 01-28-2010, 11:15 PM
Squid

KingJerd is on a distinguished road
Not an all weather bike....

All my buddies and fellow bikers are able to ride in the rain. I LOVE riding in the rain...not sure why, but I do. HOWEVER, the Hawk isnt much of a fan of it. I try and avoid the rain for the obvious saftey reasons and because it makes the bike so damn dirty, but I live in hawaii and it rains everyday....kinda hard to avoid EVERY storm with a 30 minute ride to work all the way across the island.

When I do get caught in any amount of precipitation though, Ill be lucky to make it a mile or two before the front cylinder is dead and once that happens, Its only about one more mile before the bike goes dead all together. I pull over where ever I can, most of the time Im able to milk it to a safe/dry area and let it sit for about 5 minutes. At this point I can fire it up, but only at full choke. If it stops raining, I can ride at full choke until I feel brave enough to push the choke **** back in and sometimes its back on with both slugs firing....but usually its a single banger for a few miles then gradually in short bursts the front bank wakes back up. WHAT IN THE HELL IS CAUSING THIS???? How can I fix it? I dont now the cause, but im assuming the water spraying off the front tire isnt helping so im thinking of extending the rear of the fornt fender down about 6 inches with clear lexan from an RC car body....am I at all close to a fix? I love the bike too much to leave it at home for more than a day at a time, please help guys.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:52 PM
Speed Demon
Superstock

crackerjackman is on a distinguished road
I have this same problem. I found out that my spark plug boot was cut a lil bit causing water to short out the plug. It is also caused by having a vaper lock from the vent tube hose that comes down from the tank and hangs down on the left side of the bike(there should be 4 hoses total that come down) What my fix was to check plug wires and cut the vent tube hose at an angle. oh and check to make sure that your vent hose on the petcock is BEHIND the petcock, not on the bottom like it looks like it goes. Also try searching for bogging in rain and stuff along those lines. The forum has literally tons of info. I feel like I am forgetting someting. Anyone else have something to add so we can help out our fellow hawk rider???

Philip

Last edited by crackerjackman; 01-28-2010 at 11:53 PM. Reason: not sober
Old 01-29-2010, 12:47 AM
Squid

Thanks Philip. I did a search for "Water" and "Rain" and browsed through the first few pages of the tech section before posting. I found nothing other than people waiting for dryer days to test a mod or something, nothing about a problem with riding in the rain. Ill chek those things though. Thanks a ton!
Old 01-29-2010, 01:02 AM
Superstock

nekkid is on a distinguished road
I live in Manoa where it rains a lot. No problems with the bike in the rain. About a 2 years ago I had a problem with one jug cutting out once in a while and that was due to poor contact between the plug connector and the plug within the boot. Once that was rectified it ran well again.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:56 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Not to belittle this problem, but I just rode home in 15 farenhiet degrees through NYC. Shouldnt you guys be at a pig roast or leui-ow or something? Aren't you busy dodging coconuts? OK thats it. I vented. I ony ever had the one piston wet problem once after washing the bike & too much hosing. I have ridden for 3 hours on the highway in a downpour w/o an issue, so its not an inherent hawk problem.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:17 AM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
Mine seems fine in the rain aswell. Been stuck in it a few times. As the other suggested look into the wires. I'd say just get a new set of plugs and wires and do that. Make it into a tuneup. Wires have a tendency of cracking as they age and you won't see issues till they get wet.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:55 AM
jonesey
Squid

jonesey is on a distinguished road
Couple of years ago, I rode with my brother in law from Donington race track to my home, which was 4 1/2 hours in torrential rain with no let up!!!
I know what you mean about riding in the rain, there is something perverse about it. It's what Goretex was invented for.
Chris.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:27 PM
Squid

Gortex is a lifesaver sometimes, hell it's part of our USMC gear issue. But I enjoy popping out of the H3 tunnel toward Pearl City into the rain. It's relaxing somehow.... I don't know.

So now I know it not a Superhawk design flaw. I'll replace the plugs and wires and see where that puts me. Thanks for the help guys. This being my first bike I haven't learned EVERY in and out yet.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:55 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Well the other thing to check is the fuel tank vent line. The next time it dies, try opening the gas tank. If it starts right back up, you are getting water trapped in a low spot in the vent line. This was a common problem with the earlier bikes. Just reroute the vent line so it runs straight down with no kinks or low spots and your problem should go away.

Semper Fi
Old 01-29-2010, 01:17 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
Well the other thing to check is the fuel tank vent line. The next time it dies, try opening the gas tank. If it starts right back up, you are getting water trapped in a low spot in the vent line. This was a common problem with the earlier bikes. Just reroute the vent line so it runs straight down with no kinks or low spots and your problem should go away.

Semper Fi
+1

Tank Vent Line, if it's not the sparkplug boot.

Edit: And I have ridden mine in all weather, from pouring rain, to 130 degree heat, to snow and sleet. It does fine as an all weather bike.

Last edited by lazn; 01-29-2010 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:31 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 8541Hawk

Semper Fi
+10 on the tank vent (the smaller line). I had the same problem and thought it was the side stand switch shorting out, so I made a weather boot. But on going to and especially coming back from the 2008 Indy Moto GP it starting cutting out in the torrential downpour that dumped 8 inches of rain in 1 day! Doh! I had been smart enough to bring an extra key so when it started to die I'd pop open the gas cap and it would pick right back up. Finally stopped and re-routed the vent hose and it was clear sailing through even 2-1/2 foot deep low spots. Love those Conti Road/Sport Attacks for rain riding!!!
Old 01-29-2010, 03:58 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Fill a spray bottle with water, start your bike, then spray the front plug wire. If it starts missing, the plug wire or boot is leaking. I usually use a ground probe on cars, where the plug wires are more accessible.

After washing, I always pull the front plug wire and blow dry the wire and plug.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:18 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Make sure to check the boot around the side stand. If it gets wet the bike shuts off just like the stand was put down. This sucks at 60.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:26 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by nuhawk
Make sure to check the boot around the side stand. If it gets wet the bike shuts off just like the stand was put down. This sucks at 60.
did u read post #11?
Old 01-29-2010, 06:10 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
I would check your spark plug drain. There is a hole in the head that needs to let the moisture out of the spark plug recess in the head. If it doesn't, you short it out. Give that a shout. It will always knock out the front cylinder first as that is where the water kicks up. This doesn't mean that the rear cylinder doesn't surfer from the same problem, it is just more shielded. Good luck
Old 01-29-2010, 06:18 PM
SuperSport

kai ju is an unknown quantity at this point
I had the same problem on my naked VTR and thought that it was exposure of the electronics in the tail.........
It was the tank vent line. Make sure that it has as straight of a shot from the tank into the belly pan as can be and then cut the end of the tube at a 45 deg angle. This will keep water from accumulating at the end of the vent tube which in turn will prevent water from getting sucked in and plugging it.

Kai Ju
Old 01-29-2010, 06:55 PM
Squid

Thanks to all!! After all of these different solutions, one of them has to fix it! Ill hit the bike up tomorrow after its cooled off. i just got home, but Ill be over at a friends house before its cooled off tonight.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:33 PM
Speed Demon
Superstock

crackerjackman is on a distinguished road
Good luck on finding the answer to your problem. I found out my front plug boot has a slight crack in it that lets the water in. If you need any other help dont hesitate to ask. Some one on here is sure to have an solution. Like I said before, there is so much info on this bike on this site and so many Gurus on here to help. Happy wrenching!!!

Philip
Old 01-31-2010, 02:52 PM
Squid

Alright, Ive been out workin on it for the past hour. Had to get rid of those blocky DOT turn signal....got some that still stick out the appropriate length but have a smoother tear drop shape and look much better. At least they arent flushmounts, so maybe they will pass safety check next year. If not, I still got the ugly ones....

Onto the tank breather hose issue. At least, thats the one i can address without dipping into the pockets...I was fishing through the various amounts of black hoses ending in the belly pan....Which one is it? Why is there one the is ziptied to the group...but goes nowhere? It hangs into the bellypan as if it is going to leak something....but its not connected to anything on the upper end of it.... Im about to pull the fairing and mark every stinkin hose in there, its my style....

Any insight? I cant really see in there good enough to find where the hose should go, so Im thinking pulling the fairing may just make it all together easier. But pulling the fairing may be a pain in itself.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:36 PM
SuperBike

You're getting ahead of yourself. Take out the tool kit and get out the U-shaped holder (or make one), it holds up the back of the tank once you loosen the 2 front 8mm head bolts about 4 turns (be sure when you lift up the rear of the tank these bolts don't contact the front of the tank and/or place a bit of rubber to prevent scratches).

Remove the 10mm width nut on the right side rear of the tank that secures the thru bolt, hold the head of the bolt with a 10mm wrench when doing so. Slightly lift the rear of the tank when withdrawing the bolt. Lift the rear of the tank and slide the U-shaped holder thru the rear of the tank (don't push out the rubber grommet) and "ear tabs" bolted to the frame and the tank will stay up. Now you can look under the rear of the tank. You should see a large black hose on a nipple which is the tank overflow line that runs to the chin fairing. There is a smaller nipple which is the vent that a smaller hose should be connected to. If not, the hose that is not connected to anything probably connects there and must be routed without kinks always downward to the the chin fairing.

Fairing removal should not be necessary.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:36 PM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
i had tank vent problems with my 05 gixxer1k. amazing how common this issue is.

good luck find and fixing your prob. pinpointing the cause is usually worse than the fix.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:00 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
I would recommend running the tank close to empty before pulling it (I usually go about 100 miles before puling it). Makes it a lot easier.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:04 PM
SuperBike

Honestly, start by removing the chin fairing at slash cut all hoses that are not. They are all vent hoses and could use it anyway.

From there, make sure that the cylinder head drain is clear on both of them.

After that check to make sure that the spark plug boots are clean and untorn. They should deflect water out of the heads.

These are the 3 big ones to make your bike suitable to ride in the rain.

DO ALL OF THESE!
Old 01-31-2010, 05:11 PM
Squid

Turn signals on now.

Ill remove the chin fairing tonight and slash cut all the hoses. Then o from there.

This is all some freakin good info. Im thankfull for you guys and your knowlege. Ill be hanging around here alot more.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:44 PM
Destructive Tester
Superstock

bjorn toulouse is on a distinguished road
I've gotten into the habit of squirting a dab of dielectric grease into the spark plug boots when I do a plug change. Helps seal the boot/plug interface.

Rex
Old 01-31-2010, 07:51 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by bjorn toulouse
I've gotten into the habit of squirting a dab of dielectric grease into the spark plug boots when I do a plug change. Helps seal the boot/plug interface.

Rex
Once used a set of wires that had a really good seal between the spark plug and boot. It pushed the boots off and caused a misfire that took a while to diagnose. I'm not saying that will happen, just saying that it was nothig I would have ever suspected. Ruined a day at the dyno.