Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Normal Amp Draw/ Current leakage

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 07:25 PM
Superstock

spladle160 is on a distinguished road
Normal Amp Draw/ Current leakage

Upon returning from a 1500 mile weekend about a month ago my bike sat for a week and when I went to start it it only turned over about 1/2 rotation. I trickle charged the battery and did eventually get the bike to start, run and charge the battery. However the battery doesn't seem to want to hold a charge. My regulator rectifier is from an R1 and I have replaced my stator. I'm pretty sure my 5 year old battery is just dead, it didn't have enough charge to register on the battery tester at auto zone. In the process of trying to figure out why my battery wouldn't hold a charge for more than a week I checked the current leakage by placing my amp meter in line between the negative terminal and cable. I have done this a number of times and my bike is drawing ~0.5 milli amps. So with an 18 AH battery I should be good for... oh I don't know more than a week. Anyways the manual says I should only be drawing 0.1ma. What are you guys drawing? Oh and all the draw is on the odometer circuit which is one of the few I haven't bastardized in one way or another.