General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Water Leakage

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 10:36 AM
Squid

DavidH1172
Water Leakage

I just finished installing a Leo Vince high mount exhaust (a miracle in itself being that I'm not very mechanical). My problem is that while warming the bike up to take a ride it began leaking water from the connector pipe and muffler on both sides. I haven't had the bike running for more than 45 seconds in about a month. I had to start it with just the headers when I got them back from jet hot but other than that it has just been sitting. I'm hoping that is the issue. I'm taking the bike in tomorrow to have some rearsets, watsen blinks, and a jet kit installed (no way can I do any of those by myself). Do you think I need to have my dealership address the issue or is the leaking of water a normal thing after sitting for so long or will this always happen? It did not do this with the stock pipes. It seemed to run fine and didn't leak when I got back from the short ride. Any knowledge would help. Thanks

David Hill
Old 03-03-2006, 11:46 AM
Back Marker

cb21983
Sounds like a perfectly normal thing to happen. The only thing that would concern me is the fact that it is leaking where the connector pipe and header meet. That seal should be air and water tight so you might have a slight leak.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:56 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Re: Water Leakage

Sounds like normal condensation formed in the exhaust, it should be a tight fit and have none to minimal leakage at the point though. I have used high temp RTV on my old truck's header leaks and it worked well. If you put a little around the pipe, wipe off any excess and let it cure it will probably seal completely. Others on the list may have other suggestions.

Rick B
02 SH
66 Chevy C10 Stepside pickup
Old 03-03-2006, 12:17 PM
SuperSport

Loco
Well rest assured it's more than likely a one-time event. There shouldn't be any source of water on your bike, unless you are using water instead of coolant. I'd bet not, so it's definitely coming from the environment if it's indeed water. More than likely the pipe joint expanded and allowed the condensation to escape. Ultimately it should get hot enough to vaporize most of the water in there after a few minutes and you probably won't have the issue again. Washington is a very wet state, so it doesn't surprise me that some of it made it into your open system.