Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Noise after trackday crash and pipe swap

Old 10-10-2007, 10:34 AM
Back Marker

fundgh is on a distinguished road
Noise after trackday crash and pipe swap

After my previously covered lowside that left my handlbar, plastics, clutch reservoir, and tank in need of repair; I straightened the front end (mostly), installed new-to-me high mount Leo Vince pipes, and repaired the left clip on and clutch fluid reservoir. Test riding has yielded a great sound from the pipes, but there is also a noise that I can't seem to identify. It is audible in the 3-5k rpm range (I am totally guessing because the gauges are not on the bike) under load. The noise is detectable, but much less when the clutch is pulled in, and I haven't been able to hear when the bike is stopped. It follows RPM (not bike speed) so I nearly certain that it is an engine noise not a chassis/suspension/tire noise. It sounds very much like an exhaust leak, but I can't identify an exhaust leak at all. Is it possible that these pipes cause a different sound farther up the header than the previous Yosh low mounts? Any thoughts?
Old 10-10-2007, 12:06 PM
SuperSport

reaper is on a distinguished road
If you haven't already, you may want to remove your exhaust from the cylinders and carefully look it over for any damage.

When I crashed my bike, I had a split in the pipe where the front and rear meet that needed to be welded. I would have never seen it if I had not removed the exhaust and inspected it.

Just a thought.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:39 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
Could also be the CCT's. They sound like a clattering shishing sound at that RPM you described.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:06 PM
Back Marker

Bite your tongue! Don't mention CCTs around here! Well this sound is not a clattering sound. I am dealing with a tweaked lower triple right now. Once I get the controls back on, I will start her up and see if I can describe the sound, location, and RPMs a little better.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:03 PM
Sprung
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Are you riding the bike naked? Much different sounds come from the bike without bodywork. Might be a normal sound from the headers bouncing up off the front fairing if you do have it on, but not the guages.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:00 PM
Back Marker

I think it was the previously unheard sounds of riding her Naked. She certainly moans differently with out her plastics on. That and the pipe making a slightly different thump.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:30 PM
Squid

ride57 is on a distinguished road
After my lowside, I found dirt/rocks in the header pipe when I took it off. I dont know what kind of noise that would have made, but its a thought.