Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

New VTR owner w/ questions

Old 09-15-2013, 04:04 PM
Squid

98superhawk996 is on a distinguished road
New VTR owner w/ questions

Hello fellow VTR owners/fans,

Last week I bought a very clean 1998 VTR1000F w/ 37k miles, Stainless steel braided lines, Yoshimura exhaust. Sale included spare wheel and pit bull stand. Has newer fork seals, newer chain, fluid flush...

Bike runs and rides good and smooth. Engine revs out nicely and sounds tight. Everything is solid as far as I can tell.

What is the best oil/filter to run in a higher mile VTR?
I was told by previous owner that it uses a bit of oil depending how hard you ride. No leaks.

Is there a place to find a free downloadable service manual?

I prefer to DIY because I have had a bad experience with just about every bike shop I have tried to get service done at. Damage to the bike and any repairs were performed carelessly. One shop actually took an impact wrench to my tank bolts. So stripped out I had to use a sawsall to remove them. Amazingly they went out of business...

Is this a fairly easy bike to work on?

From what I have read I should get the valves adjusted, get manual CCTs, Mosfet rectifier, and block off plates?

Thanks you in advance for your advice and direction.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:03 PM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Greetings

Head over to the knowledge base and enjoy the reading, includes link to the Honda PDF service manual

Knowledge Base - SuperHawk Forum

From what I have read I should get the valves adjusted, get manual CCTs, Mosfet rectifier, and block off plates?
Very good advice to follow. And the hardest part of working on the bike is putting the tank back on correctly ;-)

There are a many oil threads but try bog standard motorcycle 10W40 semi-synthetic as in some cases fully synth can cause clutch slippage.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:32 AM
Superstock

insulinboy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Wicky View Post
Very good advice to follow. And the hardest part of working on the bike is putting the tank back on correctly ;-)
And for me the hardest part of that is remembering to turn the fuel on before I bolt everything down
Old 09-16-2013, 07:59 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by insulinboy View Post
And for me the hardest part of that is remembering to turn the fuel on before I bolt everything down
Well Mr. old school dirt bike, I solve that one by not turning it off