Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

2001 GSXR1000 Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 08:52 PM
SuperSport

Stumpy is on a distinguished road
2001 GSXR1000 Brakes

So I am working on my bike to ride which I have not done for 2 yrs just did my fork seals and brace and noticed my pads wore funny on the right side outboard pad. pictures will show much more wear than the the rest and compared to a new pad. as cash is super short right now the right way would be to get a rebuild kit. which is $90 bucks for both and in the UK. But I was wondering if anyone has had these apart before what I would like to do is take the pistons out and clean them up and put them back in how do the seals hold up. to try to get proper braking for the rest of the year. don't want to ruin a new set of $70 pads. But also I don't want to be without a bike so your options please.
Attached Thumbnails 2001 GSXR1000 Brakes-pad-1.jpg   2001 GSXR1000 Brakes-pad-2.jpg   2001 GSXR1000 Brakes-pad-3.jpg   2001 GSXR1000 Brakes-pad-4.jpg  
Old 09-14-2013, 10:21 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Sometimes rust and crap gets built up on the clinder wall and kind of freezes the piston(s) in place. Cleaning it up and honing the cylinder wall will fix that.

So, what you want to do, is take the caliper apart. Then, run a cylinder hone inside the cylinder. Make sure you CLEAN the heck out of the caliper before you reassemble it. Now, the seal is another issue. If it shows no wear and it's not cracked, then I don't see why you couldn't use it again. Once it's all together, squeeze the front brake lever and wrap some rope/tape around it and the handle bar, then let it sit for a while. After a while, you don't see any leaks, then your seals should be fine.

Edit: I think I have a cylinder hone you can use. If you have that carb slide for me, I can help you with your brakes. Let me know. I sent you a PM.

Last edited by CruxGNZ; 09-14-2013 at 10:37 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:42 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
It's a catch 22

If the seals are in good condition they can often be reused.
BUT
If the seals were in good condition, likely you would not need to remove the pistons.

If there is enough moisture, crap, corrosion behind the seals that piston is frozen in place, likely the seals are not serviceable.

bleed the brakes, see what comes out.. Use a hunk of wood or other even flat object in place of the brake pads.. Let the pistons come out a bit further then they did with the worn pads, but not much.. see what the pistons look like... see if they move at all.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:53 PM
SuperSport

The fluid is good I bleed the brakes 1 or 2 times a year except for the last two years I was unable to drive. I think I will take them off the bike and clean the piston parts that are exposed think I can put some wood in and pump the brakes to expose most of the pistons. before taking them off of the bike. Clean them push them back in new fluid and bleed I usually use the old fluid for the clutch as it gets black so fast. Does anyone know of rebuild kit in us.

I dont get paid until the 26th and even then I have a obligation to CruxGNZ for a tail section I want as my tabs are both broken on my tail. cash is so tight now that I am on disability and I can not afford both food has to come first. LOL maybe I can lose some weight as the steroids made me gain 75lbs the first 3 months and I have not been able to get rid of it. But I dont think the wife would like that plan.

I want to ride in the crud run first sunday of next month as I think it will be a good emotional boost for me tired of sitting in the house. It was nice to see josh hayes not retake the points lead. just dont like how he use to run into the other riders to get them off there line.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:18 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
I think you got me mixed up with someone else Stumpy. You and I were talking about the carb slide, which wasn't a rush issue.

I'm down for the Crud Run with ya!
Old 09-16-2013, 10:02 AM
SuperSport

Yep sorry racer187x has the rear tail section that I want