Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

neutral oddness

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 07:43 PM
Squid

moto-rama
neutral oddness

Ok, if anyone knows what this is then ...

Anyway the behaviour is this:

Neutral light functions normally until engine warms up to normal operating temp, then as the motor warms up, the light begins to flicker a bit while in neutral then when the it's very warm, the light will not light up at all.
Cool off the engine, it works fine.
Way weird
Jim
Old 07-03-2009, 05:57 AM
Superstock

nekkid is on a distinguished road
Hello all,

I'm reviving this old thread because I am having the same problem. Perhaps in the intervening four years someone might now have an answer?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:04 AM
I don't need any Meds
Superstock

5150 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nekkid
Hello all,

I'm reviving this old thread because I am having the same problem. Perhaps in the intervening four years someone might now have an answer?

Thanks in advance.
Check your wiring for any after market splices. we had a car that had a problem similar to this except this splice was in the power to the starter wiring. some one before us had cut into the line, then just black electrical taped it back together. as the car heated up on the drive to wherever we went the wires built up heat/resistance and pushed themselves apart.

we would go out to see the ladies on friday end up at the spot and when we jumped in to leave sometimes/alot of times the car would not start till it had cooled for a while. this problem was the most perplexing and annoying. it stumped many a mechanic. most thought it was over heating but it was not.

it was just a shitty .12 cent back yard mechanic quick fix that drive people insane trying to find it.

So in the interest of not going insane, check all your wiring. look for cracks, after market splice ins. It sounds like a resistance problem to me.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:54 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
Make sure you have a good connection on the switch/sender mounted in the engine case. It may be dirty or corroded.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:11 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Sounds like a bad neutral switch or loose connection to the same. See page 19-22 of the service manual. Easy fix and the part is $12 through Ronayers: http://www.ronayers.com/browseparts....e.ronayers.com
Old 07-04-2009, 03:08 AM
Superstock

Thank you 5150, shayne, and Hawkrider. I will check out the bike over the long weekend and hopefully this will end my pesky problem.
Old 07-05-2009, 03:37 PM
I don't need any Meds
Superstock

5150 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nekkid
Thank you 5150, shayne, and Hawkrider. I will check out the bike over the long weekend and hopefully this will end my pesky problem.
any luck man? dirty? bad wiring? old and crusty? or just plain old garden variety gremlins?
Old 09-21-2009, 05:36 AM
Superstock

Sorry for the long wait before replying to you. My bike has been in the shop for the past 2+ months. This local repair shop is known for taking a their sweet time. Just got the bike back and the neutral light problem is still there. I will probably have to tackle this myself. Also, the bike used to run as smooth as glass between 4 and 5 thousand RPM. Now there is an additional buzz or rumble I can hear and also feel through the handlebars.