Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

Looking for a new Helmet...suggestions??

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 12:42 PM
Iron Rocket
Squid

Twin Kat is on a distinguished road
Looking for a new Helmet...suggestions??

Im in the market for a new helmet. Looking to spend around $200. Im liking the new HJC-FS15. The KBC's are nice but reviews ive seen for them are not that good. Any ideas?
Old 03-09-2009, 01:52 PM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
I'm not happy with my HJC, seemed like it packed out real quick. Not real happy with it. Works as a winter helmet, I can put on a balaclava, and it fits good then. It is an HJC CL-14
Old 03-09-2009, 01:58 PM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
I've had (have 3 HJC's...) I agree the padding in the CL-14 seemed to get a bit "loose" over time, but I bought a AC-11 last time around (2 years now?) and it still fit's nice and snug.... I've been very happy with it.

They don't have alot of the features the big boys do (Arai, Shoei) but HJC seems to be a pretty decent helmet at a decent price... IMHO. I'd liek to have their Carbon Helmet.. looks sweet.

J.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:35 PM
Squid

crash06 is on a distinguished road
I have an AGV XR-2 and I just got a Scorpion EXO-400 and obviously the was a huge price difference between the two and I think I can honestly say I like the scorpion way more for the street (haven't used it on the track yet) then the AGV. For all the feature's it has espeacialy the no fog shield and the price tag you can't beat it.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:39 PM
Squid

usmc7051 is on a distinguished road
I currently ride a SHOEI but I will soon have an ICON helmet. The icon helmets are super comfortable and breathe well.

My shoei isn't bad either.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:51 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
I have and Icon, a HJC and a Scorpion.

The Icon looks the best, the Scorpion is by far the most comfortable and quiet, the HJC is crap.

I recommend Scorpion Unless what you look like matters then get an Icon or Shoei..

But the Scorpion I think is a better helmet for less $$
Old 03-09-2009, 02:57 PM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
I'm on my second ICON - It is by no means an ARAI, but then it costs 1/5 as much too. It is comfortable noise and air flow not quite as good as a Shoei or Arai, but I think tons better than an HJC, for a similar price
Old 03-09-2009, 03:20 PM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
I had the KBC vr2 for a few days and loved it except for the fact that my big forehead didn't fit it which gave me a headache. Also it has perforations in the padding on the forehead which leaves imprints on your face. So you look goofy for a little while after wearing it. I like the liner, and it fit the back of my head really well, so it was quiet.

I bought a lightly used Shoei RF1000 after that for $250. There's tons of great condition gear on craigslist. So many riders out there buy the **** and never use it or get scared away from bikes. Only issue I've had is the lever to crack the visor open always breaks.

My first helmet was a Scorpion EXO-400, I actually had 2 of them. They were as noisy as the Shoei, the vents were worthless, and the visors on both of them leaked badly, and the aftermarket one did too. The visor release was also a bitch on one side, this is a common complaint.

Last edited by CentralCoaster; 03-09-2009 at 03:22 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:40 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
I'm a fan of Scorpion. great bang for the buck.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:01 PM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
motojoe is an unknown quantity at this point
HJC makes helmets for lots of other names(private lable). Icon is made by HJC.
Shoei, Arai and Fulmer are the only ones that make their own helmets that don't make others'.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:09 PM
Squid

59burst is on a distinguished road
I just bought a brand new HJC AC-12 Carbon Fiber Ben Spies replica on ebay for $200 shipped. I thought that was a pretty good deal. It's real nice and super light. I wore out my HJC CL-SP (it got too loose). I bought the next size smaller. Fits real well.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:18 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
I have HJC, Scorpion, Icon, a Shoei XL that came with a bike we bought. and a couple Harley half-cocked that were given to me by a moving neighbor. For you guys that complain about the HJC's fitting loose buy their cheek pads and everything is groovy! $8

Lots of people talk trash about Icon lids and I don't agree with them. My favorite hat is an Icon Mainframe Halo - great air if you want it, fits close so the extra bucks for cheek pads is saved, nose guard and chin curtain all standard equipment.

The helmet is no longer made but the people that have the usual good pricing on gear are

www.newenough.com

www.motorcyclesuperstore.com

www.motorcyclecloseouts.com

If you have a local CycleGear they always have helmets on sale so it would be worth a phone call before you buy online.

Good Luck! ATGATT rules the road and comes back tomorrow.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:26 PM
SuperSport

Forgive my bluntness, but comparing fitment online is stupid. Every head is different.

Now for air flow, fogging, functionality, price, durability, have at it.

I would never order a helmet online either, unless you already know how it fits. (And don't be that jerkoff that tries it on and wastes the local store clerk's time, then orders it online!)

Cyclegear is great, around here they let you bring it back for store credit if you're not happy with it. Obviously this results in them having to mark down some of their gear, but damn, it keeps me coming back to the store.

Another place down here has a zero return policy on helmets. I'm sure they have plenty of first time customers, but few repeat customers. They usually have more clerks than customers in the store.

Last edited by CentralCoaster; 03-09-2009 at 04:29 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:47 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Oh for anyone in Phoenix I recommend http://www.thehelmetcenter.com/ as they are the only local shop that price matches internet prices.. So if you find a price online for any MC part they carry (and they carry lots not just helmets) you can get it from them at that price and save yourself shipping!
Old 03-09-2009, 06:16 PM
Back Marker

Ohio Hawk is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Twin Kat
Im in the market for a new helmet. Looking to spend around $200. Im liking the new HJC-FS15. The KBC's are nice but reviews ive seen for them are not that good. Any ideas?

$200.00 does not get you much when it comes to Quality... Save a little more and get
a better helmet, we are talking about your head.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:18 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
webbikeworld.com
Old 03-09-2009, 06:40 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
I've had a bunch of helmets and sell helmets daily, IMO there's nothing wrong with kbc helmets they protected my head at 70 hitting the pavement with the back of my head.
it was a vr2 and bought another one after that, fit is different though and venting sucked.

Icon are good midlevel helmets nothing wrong with them but fit and finish is ok to good at best.

I like my shoei rf 1000 and you can find some older models for around 200 but for the money you can find some closeout bell star helmets for that price. I just picked one up and the ventilation is very close to the shoei x-11 and is loaded with extras. It came with a really nice lined carring case, soft and firm cheek pads, holes for speakers, fully removable and washable liner and more! Fit is similar to the rf but venting is MUCH better it has to be the best helmet I have ever purchused so far.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:50 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
Forgive my bluntness, but comparing fitment online is stupid. Every head is different.

Now for air flow, fogging, functionality, price, durability, have at it.

I would never order a helmet online either, unless you already know how it fits. (And don't be that jerkoff that tries it on and wastes the local store clerk's time, then orders it online!)

Cyclegear is great, around here they let you bring it back for store credit if you're not happy with it. Obviously this results in them having to mark down some of their gear, but damn, it keeps me coming back to the store.

Another place down here has a zero return policy on helmets. I'm sure they have plenty of first time customers, but few repeat customers. They usually have more clerks than customers in the store.
Ordering online is the only option for some of our members. Some of them are light-years away from a Cyclegear. Fitment by internet is the only option - stupid?
Old 03-09-2009, 07:02 PM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CentralCoaster

How do you try it on then? Isn't that a contradiction. Anyways I'm guilty of that, of course they didn't have the style I wanted, so even though the price was about the same.

Also there is no evidence that says an expensive helmet will protect your head any better then a cheap helmet with the equivalent safety certs. It all comes down to fit (based on your head), options, and finish. So if you slide on finish and options you can still get a decent fitting helmet on the cheap.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:29 PM
Superstock

alive226 is on a distinguished road
Check out the new Bell helmets. I tried one on and was pretty impressed. They are light and appear to be higher quality than my Icon. Don't get me wrong, I like my Icon. Anyway, here is a link for last years models on sale for $200.

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/h...+recoil+helmet
Old 03-09-2009, 07:57 PM
Squid

VTR Time-Travel is on a distinguished road
This is a great store-all of the guys I ride with buy their gear here. The price's are really reasonable and you get to try it on before you buy.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:58 PM
Moderatio est Figmentum
Superstock

Hawk9807 is on a distinguished road
My last two were an Icon mainframe and a Suomy Spec1-R. I'll take the Suomy anyday over the Icon. When it comes to helmets find what fits like it's supposed to and has the features you want. If it isn't in your price range, save more until it is.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:10 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
I've been cursed with the Arai bug for several years now. Nothing else comes close to the fit, feel, and perfection Arai's have. I've tried a Shoei, Icon, HJC, and half helmets. They are all crap. I can usually find the right Arai on Ebay for less than $300 either slightly used or brand new in box. Motorcyclecloseouts.com has several on sale right now for $350.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:12 PM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

oahu hawk is on a distinguished road
I have an HJC FS15 Surge that I purchased from New Enough, it's my 3rd HJC helmet and I'm happy with it.

I've tried on many different helmets, but always come back to HJC not because of the cost, but because of the larger eyeport...Shoeis and Arais seem to cut down on my peripheral vision which makes me very uncomfortatble when riding the bike.

Like I said, I got mine for cheap at New Enough, something like $175 shipped.

http://www.newenough.com/pricing/private/2761
Old 03-09-2009, 08:46 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Ohio Hawk
$200.00 does not get you much when it comes to Quality... Save a little more and get
a better helmet, we are talking about your head.
Last I checked they all pass the same test.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:49 PM
SuperSport

Uh, cyclegear isn't the only shop in the world that lets you try on helmets. Heck, I bought my Snell-SA rated helmet from a local shop that let me try on a few. You wouldn't believe how hard it is to find a brick n' mortar store that sells those, even in San Diego. The $250 Pyrotech and the $800 Bieffe fit me best, guess which one I bought.

Originally Posted by cornandp
How do you try it on then? Isn't that a contradiction.
IE... if you are replacing a helmet you've already worn, you can expect the fitment to be similar. I guess if there was some quantitative info besides "it doesn't fit", then it would be useful to others. For example, I have a big forehead and small cheekbones and small neck, and all the KBCs I tried seemed tight up top. Right now I'm using a medium Shoei RF with small cheek pads, but the bottom end still isn't small enough to fit the back of my neck properly, so it's noisy as hell.

Last edited by CentralCoaster; 03-09-2009 at 08:54 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:01 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Nothing but Arai for me since 1883. I've had 4 and currently wear an RX-7 Corsair Sete Giberneau Replica. I love the fit and build quality.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:05 PM
Iron Rocket
Squid

Twin Kat is on a distinguished road
Ive gone down to the local dealer a few times and tried Arai,Shoei,KBC,Sharks,Hjc's,Scorpions,Sparxx and Icons. The Shoei and the Shark fit the best. But the visor's for the Sharks cost a fortune!! I like the look of the Scorpions and they are more in my price range and get very high ratings. I might have to refresh my memory and try them on again. I really like this helmet!!
http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/s...elmet+-+laconi

Last edited by Twin Kat; 03-09-2009 at 09:11 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:53 PM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

oahu hawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
Nothing but Arai for me since 1883.
Wow, 4 helmets over a 126 year span, you really get you money's worth out of a helmet...and you're a lot older than you said you were...
Old 03-09-2009, 10:09 PM
Superstock

thefauxnarchist is on a distinguished road
alright, well im chiming in with a less than ordinary response...dunno how much you lean towards safety, but im following the SHARP standard over in the UK a bit more now, since some research strongly suggests that snell has evolved the helmet market in such a way that helmet manus creat helmets to meet or beat snell, not for savin your noggin. what we end up with is a much harder/stiffer helmet that ends up transferring G's to your brain. bad news. anyways, you can see that research reflected in the SHARP standard...for instance, a lower range AGV Stealth scores 5/5 stars (its NOT snell certified, nor was it designed to meet or exceed snell), whereas a top of the line Ti Tech scores only 4 stars, and worse, Suomy's Spec 1R gets only 3!--the higher market helmets tend to be alot stiffer.

anyways, im grabbing a pair of stealths for myself and the gf soon...they can be found for about 200$ online nowadays if you look hard enough. they might not have all the great doo dads, but they vent lots of air, theyre super light, and they score top marks in a more practical helmet safety standard. plus, they look damn good too.

btw im rocking a cl15 by hjc at the moment. not the prettiest helmet, but its reasonably sturdy. the visor seal is goin wonky though, so i get alot of air leak and fogging tends to be a problem. hjc's are pretty good in my book, especially compared to alot of "barely snell" brands (m2r) or lamo only DOT brands like zox...those helmets tend to fall apart pretty damn easily without you even doing anything.

Quick Reply: Looking for a new Helmet...suggestions??