Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

My R/R Outputs too much Volts

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 07:56 PM
ride it out
SuperSport

nothing is on a distinguished road
My R/R Outputs too much Volts

I installed a regulator/rectifier on my 98 hawk off of a zx6r kaw and now doing the measurement test i test 18.1V at 2500 rpm i know this is higher than it should be (14.5 i believe) now i also know i need to add a resistor into the circuit for that voltage to be correct.

question is....what Ω?

Last edited by nothing; 02-17-2009 at 08:12 AM.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:33 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Adding a resistor won't help... It'll last 5 minutes before overheating and blowing...

Instead figure out why or possibly replace the R/R with another...
Old 02-17-2009, 04:09 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
The symbol you mention is omega which is representative of ohms, the units of resistance.

Have you checked all of your grounds? I've found that this is the usually the cause of voltage issues. In fact, I've often wondered if the ground circuit is the cause of what people blame on the R/R.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:27 AM
ride it out
SuperSport

my entire circuit is flawless, i have everything grounded perfectly and soldered all the connections. there were a total of 7 wires coming off the zx6r R/R (see attached picture). I labeled where on the schematic each of the wires go except for the left 3 which come from the magneto.

currently, i use the BK/BL for the (+) wire and the BK/W for the Ground (-) wire and the two others (BK/R and BK) are not used at all. i'm sensing this is where my problem is, i think the voltage is too high because the R/R thinks the high beam is on etc?

Name:  Wiring.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  32.1 KB
Old 02-17-2009, 04:40 AM
MotoGP

Ok... First of... Not to bust your bubble or anything... But when you think a circuit is flawless, that's when the **** hits the fan... Just my experience working with electronics...

Could be that you are on to something with those wires... I'd start by checking what they put out... + or -?

If they put out +... wire them into the + lead... if - wire them in there and then check the voltage levels...
Old 02-17-2009, 04:45 AM
ride it out
SuperSport

ok i'll try that. those wires must, seeming that they go to the headlight, have some effect on the voltage. but my circuit is flawless
Old 02-17-2009, 05:00 AM
MotoGP

Well... My guess is that they tell the R/R weather the headlight is on or not as that is the single largest load on the system and affects output from the R/R a lot...

Last edited by Tweety; 02-17-2009 at 05:10 AM.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:13 AM
ride it out
SuperSport

yea i studied the circuit for a good 5 minutes and came to that conclusion. it all ties into the headlight relay and hi/lo but i dunno how to wire that into my hawk

Last edited by nothing; 02-17-2009 at 05:21 AM.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:32 AM
MotoGP

I'm guessing the one to the fuse is + and the one you marked headlight relay is -?

That would be logical as how you usualy place a fuse... Then it has nothing to do with hi/lo as the relay is drawn as soon as the headlight is on... it should work to just connect them up with the +/- and it should tell the R/R that the headlight is on...
Old 02-17-2009, 05:51 AM
ride it out
SuperSport

i will try that (hoping nothing blows!) but from what i've found on the net is that there needs to be a circuit that will short out excess power going to the battery off those 2 wires keeping it at about 14.3V. pretty much tis is like there is no voltage regulator on the bike, just a rectifier
Old 02-17-2009, 07:37 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Umm the R/R for our bikes is known to be a less than perfect part, and it can fail in both directions.. Mine failed like yours, with too high a voltage and it cooked my battery. (luckily nothing else died) Replace your R/R and be happy. (either upgrade to a GSXR or R1/R6 part, or get a newer finned one, as they are fairly robust, while not as good as the other brand ones)
Old 02-17-2009, 07:39 AM
ride it out
SuperSport

haha you didn't read! i already swapped out my R/R for one off of a zx6r kaw (nice beefy finned one)

Last edited by nothing; 02-17-2009 at 08:13 AM.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:49 AM
Boosted
SuperSport

Syclone is on a distinguished road
I thought Kawasaki made the zx6r?
Old 02-17-2009, 08:12 AM
ride it out
SuperSport

sorry, i dunno why i keep saying yamaha. but yes, you are correct zx6r = kaw
Old 02-17-2009, 08:25 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nothing
haha you didn't read! i already swapped out my R/R for one off of a zx6r kaw (nice beefy finned one)
Ah, my bad . Well the GSXR and R1/R6 are preferred since they tend to be 5 wire R/R's and it's easy to wire them up.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:56 AM
ride it out
SuperSport

i got this one for free so i'm determined to make it work...

bump any other ideas?
Old 02-17-2009, 10:17 AM
ride it out
SuperSport

ok so here's my progress.... i figured out that the BK/R wire just taps off of a switched 12V wire. so i got that out of the way.

now, i need to figure out that BK wire that goes from the R/R to the headlight relay through a diode shown here in RED. where should this wire go on the hawk?
Name:  untitled-2.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  76.0 KB

Old 02-17-2009, 10:47 AM
MotoGP

Why bother with where???

Figure out what instead... it's left floating right now right?

That means that another signal (most likely 12V) will make it change state...

But since you are giving only parts of the info here I cant be sure... get me an unmolested schematic and I'll tell you for sure...
Old 02-17-2009, 12:51 PM
ride it out
SuperSport

yes, it's left floating right now, just cut and taped. and i mean where on the bike should this wire go as in to what component, if any. like for example i found out the BR wire should tap into to ignition swithced 12.

here is a link to the zx6r schematic. it's 2 pics (the first two links on this page, sheet #2 is the focus)

http://www.zx-6r.com/downloads/wiring_diagrams.shtml

thanks for all your help man, on this schematic the wire in question is the right-most BK coming right off the R/R that turns into a Y
Old 02-17-2009, 09:03 PM
Schnitzel
Squid

PHxS is on a distinguished road
BK is the wire that sends voltage to the Headlamp relay located in the fuse box. This relay keeps the headlights off until the bike is running and the R/R is charging the system. BR is strictly power for the lighting circuit except for the turn signals.

Both BR and BK should be positive voltage where BR powers the lights and BK is a trigger for the relay. Kawasaki has been using this circuit in the fuse box for quite a long time. BR might be part of a sensing circuit in the R/R, but don't quote me on this.

Last edited by PHxS; 02-17-2009 at 09:08 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:09 AM
ride it out
SuperSport

bump for extra ideas on this. i'll try what is here so far and report my results
Old 02-18-2009, 10:44 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by PHxS
BK is the wire that sends voltage to the Headlamp relay located in the fuse box. This relay keeps the headlights off until the bike is running and the R/R is charging the system. BR is strictly power for the lighting circuit except for the turn signals.

Both BR and BK should be positive voltage where BR powers the lights and BK is a trigger for the relay. Kawasaki has been using this circuit in the fuse box for quite a long time. BR might be part of a sensing circuit in the R/R, but don't quote me on this.
My thinking is along those lines... It's not really a "sensing" circuit, but more likely part of the diode bridges in the R/R that's setup so when drawing power on all lines it balances the R/R's output... wiring it in with the other output should draw enough through that diode to make it behave in a linear way like an ordinary "dumb" R/R...

But as you say... I haven't dissected one so it's part guesswork and part experience with similar items I'm going on here...
Old 02-18-2009, 11:10 AM
ride it out
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Tweety
wiring it in with the other output should draw enough through that diode to make it behave in a linear way like an ordinary "dumb" R/R...
what do you mean here? which wire are we talking about here as the other output?

BK has power, but probably not as much as BR since BR is normally used to power all the lights directly off the RR where as BK only needs to power the relay. what do you think will work?

Last edited by nothing; 02-18-2009 at 11:13 AM.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:51 AM
MotoGP

From what I can figure out, both BR and BK are 12V outputs just like BK/BL...

Internally they are connected by a bunch of diodes (don't ask how... It'll only give you a headache....)

On an OEM VTR R/R there are only one output... And it gives the right voltage as long as there is some load on it...

On this one there are more than one output... Usually the reason is to keep the headlight of during the startup (more juice to the starter that way...)

The thing is that with these extra outputs, if there is no load on any of them, the internal components become "unbalanced"... and you get these crazy voltages...

If you instead take the BK and BR and hook them up to the output BK/BL they are used as outputs and there is a load on them... that should make the R/R behave like normal...

If not it becomes a whole new level of complicated and at that point it's probably easier to build a R/R from scratch from diodes (I did that on an older bike) than making this one work... Obviously an OEM R/R or a Yamaha R/R from several models are verified to work...
Old 02-18-2009, 12:04 PM
ride it out
SuperSport

alright well i will try that when i get home from work. it makes sense what you say about using them 3 as 1 single output. we'll see what happens! thanks for your help
Old 02-21-2009, 05:06 PM
ride it out
SuperSport

ok bump for who ever can still help me out

i tested all 3 wires not touching anything.

1 (BL/BK) had about 12.1 at idle would go down to 10 on really low idle, and 17.5 @2500rpm.

2 (BR) was .14V
3 (BK) was .02V.

now i hooked them up to the hawk system i put the .14V and 18V together and it blew the main fuse, no biggie.
i put the 18V and the .02V together and the battery would charge at ~.75V which is weird.
all 3 at the same time give me .35V
i put the 2 lower V ones (.02 and .14) together they gave me .3V and the BK/BL gives me it's same 17V+ when those others are hooked together

any thoughts?

Last edited by nothing; 02-22-2009 at 06:09 AM.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:57 AM
ride it out
SuperSport

i just caved and bought an R6 one wired it in works fine thanks guys.

FS: (1) zx6r R/R
joking.....