General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Does this bike vibrate too much or is it me?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 09:28 AM
Squid

Auron
Does this bike vibrate too much or is it me?

Love my new SH but I've been riding smooth inline-4's forever and although I'm sure there's nothing wrong with my bike it sure seems like it shakes like crazy. Compared to the other twins out there, I hear the SH is pretty smooth. I'm guessing I'll just get used to it...part of the personality?
Old 03-16-2006, 09:58 AM
Back Marker

RymerC
Re: Does this bike vibrate too much or is it me?

I've never had a problem with it, coming from IL-4's myself. Passengers usually complain, but they don't have insulated foot pegs.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:19 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road

I struggled with the same issue when I bought my VTR and eventually did two things that made it noticeably smoother:

1) get heavier bar end weights (got mine from a chap in BC but there is company that I found out about recently whose name eludes me who makes some honkin' heavy weights; these will help to dampen the vibration)

2) purchase a long intake runner for the front cylinder (same as for back) and cut it down so that it is 12mm shorter adn you will be surprised at how much smoother the engine runs (in addition to getting a noticeable improvement in low and mid-range response).

Both mods worked out for me but the second one proved especially beneficial. Whereas I used to have my hands tingle and fall asleep after as little as 50 kms (30 miles), I have now ridden over 400 miles on many occasions with no problems whatsoever.

Good luck

Mikstr
Old 03-16-2006, 10:21 AM
MotoGP

One last thing, I would suggest you get your carb synching checked as well as your engine mounts for proper torque specs prior to doing anything else.

cheers
Mikstr
Old 03-16-2006, 11:13 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road

Do you have the part number of the runners you used or the application they are from? sounds like a mod I would want to try on my SH.

Rick B

02 SH

Originally Posted by mikstr";p=&quot
I struggled with the same issue when I bought my VTR and eventually did two things that made it noticeably smoother:

1) get heavier bar end weights (got mine from a chap in BC but there is company that I found out about recently whose name eludes me who makes some honkin' heavy weights; these will help to dampen the vibration)

2) purchase a long intake runner for the front cylinder (same as for back) and cut it down so that it is 12mm shorter adn you will be surprised at how much smoother the engine runs (in addition to getting a noticeable improvement in low and mid-range response).

Both mods worked out for me but the second one proved especially beneficial. Whereas I used to have my hands tingle and fall asleep after as little as 50 kms (30 miles), I have now ridden over 400 miles on many occasions with no problems whatsoever.

Good luck

Mikstr
Old 03-16-2006, 12:10 PM
MotoGP

The VTR is delivered from the factory with one long intake runner on the rear cylinder and a short one for the front cylinder (easily accessed by removing the air filter). I initially tried replacing the front short one with another long one (look up part number on the Ron Ayers site) and although the engine response was noticeably better at low and mid rpm (and I mean VERY noticeable), the bike vibrated more at regular cruising speeds (4-5k rpms). I returned to the stock set-up adn missed the added thrust so I decided to experiment. There is a 30mm difference in teh length of the two runners so I decided to try an in-between setting (which turned out to be 12mm shorter) and Presto! Better response and a MUCH smoother engine (better than with the two longs or long adn short combo). It really is the cat's meow.

Now, it should be said taht I am also running Micron slip-ons and DJ kit that was set-up on the dyno (with the two long runners incidentally).

Try it if you like. If it works for you great, if not, well you only out a few bucks and a bit of time. I just know that for me, it has truly transformed the bike (mind you I use the bike mostly for spirited sport-touring).

Good luck

Mikstr
Old 03-16-2006, 12:14 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
But where did you get the in between runner?
Old 03-16-2006, 12:21 PM
MotoGP

incidentally, I shortened it by cutting it in two and removing about 10 mm then sliding the top portion back in (bit of a friction fit). I forget exactly where I cut it but I don't think you should just lob off the top as I think you would be losing some flow by removing the funnel-type end.

I then bought longer anchor bolts to hold it all down and keep it together. I admit it is a bit "unorthodox" but it works and that is all I care about (regardless of what it looks like or what anyone else thinks).

Mikstr
Old 03-16-2006, 12:29 PM
MotoGP

:wink:
Old 03-16-2006, 12:33 PM
MotoGP

Yep, they say it is our ability to improvise that sets us apart from the (other) animals, he he 8)
Old 03-16-2006, 12:36 PM
MotoGP

I'm all for it, I think it's fun just trying.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:40 PM
MotoGP

I must confess I may soon have to join T.A. (tinkerers' anonymous) as I just love trying new things. They don't always work but at times they do. Although I never did too much experimenting on my bikes in teh past, I began trying things on my two last snowmobiles and got soem really fantastic results with a few things (my last snowmobile, a Ski-Doo MXZ600 was unbelievably responsive thanks to some tuning mods I had tried). So long as nothing gets broken along the way, it is a great way to learn too.

Mikstr
Old 03-16-2006, 12:43 PM
MotoGP

Yeah and me is the thing I most worry about breaking! But I still love to change things up and make them my own.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:56 PM
Superstock

Sgt Rock is an unknown quantity at this point

The SH is very smooth compared to my KLR. The day I rode my KLR home it vibrated so bad that a windscreen bolt fell out along with the speedo cable. For the KLR Blue Locktite is it's mistress
Old 03-17-2006, 09:00 PM
MotoGP

Note to self: Do not buy KLR
Old 03-19-2006, 09:05 AM
Squid

Auron

Originally Posted by Sgt Rock";p=&quot
The SH is very smooth compared to my KLR. The day I rode my KLR home it vibrated so bad that a windscreen bolt fell out along with the speedo cable. For the KLR Blue Locktite is it's mistress
That's what I was wondering about. Those are some mighty big pistons in there and some vibration is to be expected. I'm guessing the Suzuki 1000 V-Twin is ALOT worse.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:14 PM
Superstock

True, but I use my KLR as a commuter bike. It's great going 220 miles between fill up and having tires that last longer than 3-6 months.
Old 03-19-2006, 06:53 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
i don't really experience a lot of vibration.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:21 AM
SuperSport

Loco
Originally Posted by Auron";p=&quot
That's what I was wondering about. Those are some mighty big pistons in there and some vibration is to be expected. I'm guessing the Suzuki 1000 V-Twin is ALOT worse.
I've ridden both Suzuki V-Twins (I assume you mean the TL1000 and the SV1000). They are far smoother than the VTR, but they are also fuel-injected, and they have steering dampers. Not that either of those two facts have much to do with vibration, but it's all about what you feel when you are riding, and all bikes vibrate when you stand still.
Old 03-26-2006, 06:33 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

99Hawk

mikstr,
Thanks for the tip on the front runner, will get one ordered tomorrow. Not that I've thought my vibes were bad but what the heck, I'm always looking for a new mod :wink:

Sgt Rock,
You have good taste in bikes, have you converted to 18" yet?
Old 03-30-2006, 08:56 PM
Back Marker

vitter is an unknown quantity at this point

low gear, high revs for when you have a chick on back. :wink:
Old 03-31-2006, 06:23 PM
Superstock

I want to convert to the 18's but I haven't had a chance to yet. I've heard nothing but good things about it.