Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

my new tire change setup! :D

Old 06-11-2011, 08:20 PM
Superstock

thefauxnarchist is on a distinguished road
my new tire change setup! :D

damn thing nearly paid for itself today with the 4 mount n balances i did today, not including all the practice runs!

will need to add like 2-3 more things though, that harbor freight bar is pretty tricky to use, and the clamps could use some real protection rather than rags...

so far, i give it a thumbs up!

EDIT!:
Originally Posted by 98VTRrider
Buyers beware! I bought the HF tire change setup last fall, only to find out that they have discontinued the Motorcycle Wheel Attachment.

Last edited by thefauxnarchist; 06-13-2011 at 08:11 AM.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:57 PM
SuperSport

jay956 is on a distinguished road
friend of mine has one of those, youll want to get the no mar bar, other than that your set!
Old 06-11-2011, 09:32 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
It looks like its too far off the ground to get leverage. I have a similar setup but those steel claws will maul your wheels. you want to make blocks (or get mojo blocks) to hold the wheel w/o gouging them. This is a great bar to get

No-scufftiretool

http://www.angelridevideos.com/reviews/Mojo.html.
Attached Thumbnails my new tire change setup! :D-p90x-pics-tirechngr-025.jpg  
Old 06-12-2011, 02:52 AM
Superstock

yup, its definitely a little tall, but i am afforded the ability to move the changer with me wherever i may go. im thinking about tossing a 2" receiver plate on my trailer to make it even easier to bring to the track.

as for the clamps, im gonna do the plastic-dip rubber coating to see how it goes. some people have reported that it works decently, as long as you're not changing tires every day, which i will not.

at first i was on the fence about getting a different mount bar, either mojo lever or nomar, but after getting some good use with the HF one, im definitely getting a different one. the mounting end of the HF one isnt so great. the dismount works perfect though.

there's another person ive seen cutting up a plastic cutting board to make blocks. that seems pretty cool too.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:12 AM
MotoGP

These are the cutiing board version that were on mine when I got it. I did one change with them & replaced them. Not very stout especially when changing rear tires. The mojo blocks are like $30 & I made mine for about $12 with delrin from mcmaster-carr. You can hand or jigsaw the stuff then bolt it on.
Attached Thumbnails my new tire change setup! :D-p90x-pics-tirechngr-026.jpg  
Old 06-12-2011, 08:39 AM
Superstock

nice! im checking out the links in a little more detail now haha
Old 06-13-2011, 07:41 AM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
Buyers beware! I bought the HF tire change setup last fall, only to find out that they have discontinued the Motorcycle Wheel Attachment.

When I have some less busy time in the winter I'm going to fabricate something to do what the Motorcycle attachment does, need to hit the steel shop
Old 06-13-2011, 08:10 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by 98VTRrider

When I have some less busy time in the winter I'm going to fabricate something to do what the Motorcycle attachment does, need to hit the steel shop
doh yeah thats a good point! i jumped on this craigslist find due to this ill add it up to the first post for reference.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:56 AM
Superstock

evines is on a distinguished road
I just bought a setup from JakeWilson.com, and it should arrive this week. I was going to get the Harbor Freight one, but like was already mentioned . . . they don't make the motorcycle attachment anymore.

I bought this: Motorsport Products Portable Tire Changer With Bead Breaker | Jake Wilson

If anyone has experience with this one, or one similar, I'd be curious how it went. I liked that it came with a bead breaker, since that was the most difficult part of the process for me the last time I tried it with nothing more than tire irons and busted knuckles.

I also bought the Harbor Freight spin balancer, and it seems to work fairly well. It reacted appropriately to one 1/4 oz weight added to a balanced wheel. I'm a little skeptical that it will hold up over time though. We'll see . . .
Old 06-13-2011, 09:16 AM
MotoGP

That unit looks good in that its nice and low. If you watch some utube vids it will help, and the mojo lever literally cuts the work in half. You will need to anchor the base to the floor somehow since this takes huge force to do. Anchoring it was a revelation to me an I felt stupid for not having done it sooner
Old 06-13-2011, 09:27 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by evines
I just bought a setup from JakeWilson.com, and it should arrive this week. I was going to get the Harbor Freight one, but like was already mentioned . . . they don't make the motorcycle attachment anymore.

I bought this: Motorsport Products Portable Tire Changer With Bead Breaker | Jake Wilson

If anyone has experience with this one, or one similar, I'd be curious how it went. I liked that it came with a bead breaker, since that was the most difficult part of the process for me the last time I tried it with nothing more than tire irons and busted knuckles.

I also bought the Harbor Freight spin balancer, and it seems to work fairly well. It reacted appropriately to one 1/4 oz weight added to a balanced wheel. I'm a little skeptical that it will hold up over time though. We'll see . . .
an acquaintance who's a moto mech used the HF one for years. he said what wears on them are the bearings, but you could realistically get some skateboard bearings from walmart or something to replace them with when the time is due. if not, theres a phone number to order parts from. that's like if you're balancing 5 wheels a day for a living kinda deal though.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:28 AM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
I just use a HF changer with motorcycle add-on. I would never ever use the HF bar thou. I purchased a Nomar bar with the nylon type tips to protect the rim. I also use the rim savers in the clamps.

Tusk Rim Protectors | Jake Wilson

No fuss, no scratches

Best investment was the Nomar bar with the paste for installation and video.

Takes longer to get the wheel off the bike than it does to mount dismount and mount a new tie.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:02 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by Thumper
I just use a HF changer with motorcycle add-on. I would never ever use the HF bar thou. I purchased a Nomar bar with the nylon type tips to protect the rim. I also use the rim savers in the clamps.

Tusk Rim Protectors | Jake Wilson

No fuss, no scratches

Best investment was the Nomar bar with the paste for installation and video.

Takes longer to get the wheel off the bike than it does to mount dismount and mount a new tie.
nice, yeah im thinking of going with the mojolever with blocks. costs the same as getting the nomar bar alone i do however like the nomar bar alot more. thinking about getting a yellow thingy too.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:26 AM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
anyone have a video link of the Jake Wilson model in action? Looks like a nice compact unit, but does it really work well?
Old 06-13-2011, 11:47 AM
Superstock

evines is on a distinguished road
I couldn't find a video, but from the pictures I'm assuming I'll need to modify it a little to get it to do what I want. For example, it doesn't have a tall center rod that extends up past the axle hole, so if I want to use a mojolever or nomar lever, I'll need to replace the existing threaded rod with a long one (or fit a longer one over the existing rod).

But if I change the center rod out with a longer non-threaded rod, then it looks like nothing will keep the wheel from spinning on the stand, since I couldn't secure the wheel with the wing-nut. So I'll have to figure out another way to keep the wheel secure on the stand. Maybe a sawed off broom handle stuck down between the spokes will work.

Or tie-down straps securing the spokes of the wheel to the bottom frame part of the bead breaker. Or just duct tape. Yeah, that just might work . . .