General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Tire changing setup - Homemade for $30

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 08:44 PM
Back Marker

RonVTR
Tire changing setup - Homemade for $30

I didn't want to hijack Hawkriders post, so here's a new post with a link to a website where the author has created a motorcycle tire changing station, bead breaker and balancer for about $30. It definitely has that Home Depot look but for much less dosh than the comercial items.

The information presented seems to be complete and is illistrated with many photos.

Link: http://www.clarity.net/~adam/tire-changing-doc.html

Here are some samples...Tire changing station, Bead breaker and Balancer
Old 08-21-2006, 08:56 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Yeah, that site's been around a while with lots of good info. I love low buck approaches. For about $10 more, I bought the harbor freight bead breaker and mounted it on a wood pallet so it's still somewhat portable. I have yet to get the motorcycle wheel accessory for it as I use tire tools and do the remaining labor by hand. I wouldn't do this for a living! I use two 5 gallon buckets to suspend the wheel on it's well lubed axle while balancing it with stick on weights.

For reasons I won't go into, I should not be let near a power saw. :-)
Old 08-21-2006, 09:01 PM
Back Marker

RonVTR
Dang... And I thought I'd found something original I could share...

I saw the harbor freight bead breaker in the local add for, as you said, around $40 bucks. How do you like it?
Old 08-21-2006, 09:23 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
I been doing my own tires for about 3 years now and that site was one of a couple that got me to jump in and do it.

The harbor freight stand does what it's supposed to with no drama but I've only used it to break beads which it does effortlessly.

Now it's designed to be mounted to the floor hence my wood pallet comment. I knew I was about to move when I bought it so I didn't want to got thru the hassle of installing/removing. One unforseen benefit is the wood pallet protects the brake rotor quite well as opposed to laying it on a concrete floor if you bolted it down. A pic would really help demonstate this but I don't have any of it.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:47 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
I've got tire changes down to about 10 minutes (balanced) with the NoMar. I guess if you are going to only do a few every once in a while and you have the space the homebuilt one is okay. I tend to buy Craftsman, SK, and Snap-On tools so I tend to stay with the quality purpose-built stuff.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:49 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Big crop of newbies...some very valuable info on that link if you wanna spoon your own.