Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

My baby is sick

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 07:01 PM
Squid

Luti709 is on a distinguished road
My baby is sick

Here's my problem. Upon light acceleration, (assuming it is just during this time as I can not hear once the 2 brothers get excited) I hear a knocking noise coming from the engine area. I haven't been able to pinpoint it better than that, you know... its coming from underneath the tank somewhere.

It sounds like a sort of soft hollow knocking sound rather than a solid metal on metal a ping. It also doesn't knock all the time... only happens after letting out the clutch and mainly notice it in 1st and 2nd gear. More common when it is warmed up but not limited to that. There doesn't appear to be any loss in power and the knocking increases with rpms. So thats the problem.... anyone have any thoughts? I love my baby and don't like her to sound troubled.

I would have some thoughts about where to start investigating but the whole clutch senario destroys all my thoeries. So I dunno.. I know computers not bikes....
Old 10-02-2008, 07:18 PM
Back Marker

nfbzike
My bike does something similar and only had 3k on it when i bought it. If i put the bike in neutral and let the clutch out it makes the noise. But i pull clutch in and it goes away. similar to yours?
Old 10-02-2008, 08:42 PM
SuperSport

Death Cattle is on a distinguished road
i know computers a lot better than i know bikes too, so i cant really help you. i hope you get it fixed though.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:12 AM
One Wheel Wonder
Squid

speedhawk is on a distinguished road
i had some major problems with hawk a few months ago. mine has always done that too. i was running the bike off of coke bottles full of has and was workin on the carbs and ignition at the time. the noise comes from the carbs themselves. it is almost like a backfire... but obviously there is no fire in the carbs. it could be some kind of compression coming back up from the cylinders. im not too sure. mine only does it when its cold. my bike runs 100% right now, and it still does it.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:26 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
The bike is known to have carb slide rattles at idle or low rpm, if you or someone else had the clutch or the ignition advance apart its easy to not get it back together just right which causes a knocking noise - btdt
Old 10-04-2008, 12:23 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by nfbzike
My bike does something similar and only had 3k on it when i bought it. If i put the bike in neutral and let the clutch out it makes the noise. But i pull clutch in and it goes away. similar to yours?

Haven't tried it in neutral like that.. next time I ride it, ill give it a try and let you know.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:30 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by RickB
The bike is known to have carb slide rattles at idle or low rpm, if you or someone else had the clutch or the ignition advance apart its easy to not get it back together just right which causes a knocking noise - btdt
I haven't done anything to it.. minus recently taking the PAIR system off, but yeah, no telling what the bike has been through previous to me. Just wanted to make sure nothing horrible was going on down there. Don't want my ignorance to make things worse.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:48 AM
Squid

Yeah I rode around the neighborhood the other day without my helmet and that knocking sound is coming from the gears, I'm pretty sure. Must be slipping on a tooth or two.
Old 10-12-2008, 05:10 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
I would definitely inspect the chain and sprocket aera, the torque pulses may send your chain ratteling against hard parts. If it's while you dump the clutch (friction and slipping) it may be the clutch chattering
Good luck with this, these problems are somewhat hard to trace