Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

More Galfer banjo bolt problems....

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 07:56 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
More Galfer banjo bolt problems....

There was an older thread in which the problem of Galfer banjo bolts breaking was discussed..... and after today, all I can say is if you have Galfer lines, throw the POS banjo bolts that come it them in the trash.
I had the double bolt at the master cyl. shear off a while back and figured it was a freak thing or I might have had it off to many times as it sheared while reinstalling it.
Now today, all I did was pick the bike up off the stand and apply the front brakes.... which was followed by a small "pop" and the lever pulled all the way to the bar..... So I'm like WTF and look down to see the head of the caliper banjo bolt laying on the ground.... this was followed by a session of "swear like a Marine" while doing a quick clean up of the fluid mess and then a quick word of thanks to the moto gods for still liking me and letting this happen in the garage and not while out on a ride.
So with that I will say that Galfer does make some fine products, but banjo bolts aren't one of them......
Old 04-29-2008, 08:19 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
There was an older thread in which the problem of Galfer banjo bolts breaking was discussed..... and after today, all I can say is if you have Galfer lines, throw the POS banjo bolts that come it them in the trash.
I had the double bolt at the master cyl. shear off a while back and figured it was a freak thing or I might have had it off to many times as it sheared while reinstalling it.
Now today, all I did was pick the bike up off the stand and apply the front brakes.... which was followed by a small "pop" and the lever pulled all the way to the bar..... So I'm like WTF and look down to see the head of the caliper banjo bolt laying on the ground.... this was followed by a session of "swear like a Marine" while doing a quick clean up of the fluid mess and then a quick word of thanks to the moto gods for still liking me and letting this happen in the garage and not while out on a ride.
So with that I will say that Galfer does make some fine products, but banjo bolts aren't one of them......
Any idea what you torqued it at when you last installed it, and don't reply that you do not have a torque wrench and did it by feel.

Are the Banjo bolts by Galfer crap or are they being tightened too much for the design.

Just curious, because a friend of mine did a similar thing, on a non-galfer banjo bolt as he was not using a torque wrench.

Hope it didn't mess up the paint finish....
Old 04-29-2008, 08:31 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Thumper
Any idea what you torqued it at when you last installed it, and don't reply that you do not have a torque wrench and did it by feel.

Are the Banjo bolts by Galfer crap or are they being tightened too much for the design.

Just curious, because a friend of mine did a similar thing, on a non-galfer banjo bolt as he was not using a torque wrench.

Hope it didn't mess up the paint finish....
Torqued to spec......
Paint by rattle can, so it ain't no big thing.....
More Galfer banjo bolt problems....-firestorm1.jpg
Old 04-29-2008, 08:53 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Please take a good closeup pic if you can. I'd like to compare it to the one that broke on me years back.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:55 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
When Erik was helping me with my clutch he noted a small leak in the rear brake line and just barely got on it and it snapped. I got home just fine and have installed a new line since.

Galfer is weird. Their routing patterns are insane and the tubing is good for a couple years. But if you wrench like the rest of us these lines are disposable. You just got so many ops to twist them and then it's done.

Thank God they're not hugely expensive for what they do. While they do their job on the road, if they're going to break they usually do it in your hand or on your floor. Not on your road.

I understand some of the fitment issues the others have had. Galpher's clutch kit was one of those "you must be kidding!" routing but once you followed the flow of the hydraulic line it was a natural and all the banjo angles were perfect as well. My experience is the same with their brake lines but fitting them properly the first time is not in the cards. Don't tighten anything until you have it all worked out.

If there are four ends and four options that means there are 16 combinations. I think the first time I did mine I didn't even get a close fit until the third try.

The difference in length between the right and the left is nearly nothing - but it's a very important "nothing" because even those lowly microns will fit or not if the are switched.

Long story short - would I buy from them again, yes. Product labeling/instructions need improvement!
Old 04-29-2008, 09:40 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Please take a good closeup pic if you can. I'd like to compare it to the one that broke on me years back.
I should have some pics tomorrow. Unlike yours, the head didn't pop of instead it sheared off right where the cross hole is drilled.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:45 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Originally Posted by nuhawk
When Erik was helping me with my clutch he noted a small leak in the rear brake line and just barely got on it and it snapped. I got home just fine and have installed a new line since.

Galfer is weird. Their routing patterns are insane and the tubing is good for a couple years. But if you wrench like the rest of us these lines are disposable. You just got so many ops to twist them and then it's done.

Thank God they're not hugely expensive for what they do. While they do their job on the road, if they're going to break they usually do it in your hand or on your floor. Not on your road.

I understand some of the fitment issues the others have had. Galpher's clutch kit was one of those "you must be kidding!" routing but once you followed the flow of the hydraulic line it was a natural and all the banjo angles were perfect as well. My experience is the same with their brake lines but fitting them properly the first time is not in the cards. Don't tighten anything until you have it all worked out.

If there are four ends and four options that means there are 16 combinations. I think the first time I did mine I didn't even get a close fit until the third try.

The difference in length between the right and the left is nearly nothing - but it's a very important "nothing" because even those lowly microns will fit or not if the are switched.

Long story short - would I buy from them again, yes. Product labeling/instructions need improvement!
I've had no problems with the lines, they went on the first try and are still in good shape. It's the kit banjo bolts that have failed at very strange times.... I mean the bolt hadn't been touched in over six months (when I swapped calipers) and today all I did was pull the brake lever and it sheared in half.......
Old 04-30-2008, 09:07 AM
Squid

supertrooper is on a distinguished road
i have the front brake line kit for 1 1/2 years and have not had any problems with the lines or bolts. the instructions are crap but thats it. i made sure to figure out the ends and routing before mounting the lines and they went on easy. the banjo bolts are hollow and cant take to much torque or repeated removals.