Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

More fun with carbs....

Old 05-16-2018, 12:55 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
More fun with carbs....

The latest project to roll through my little shop of horrors...... Trying to figure out what the PO had done to these poor carbs when they "jetted" them.
The bike ran terrible and after pulling the carbs and opening them up found some quite interesting, well more WTF, but trying to be nice...

The jetting I found was 42\50 for the pilots front & rear with unlabeled main jets, DJ needles and springs and the needles with the clip on the 4th clip (from the blunt end) with .100" spacer instead of the .5mm shim.

After swapping in stock springs and jets and plugging the extra lift hole the bike was extremely lean but runs fine on the "choke". Put the choke in and it acts like it runs out of fuel.
It is not the petcock as that is fine and I also swapped in my tank with no changes.

To me, that leaves one thing left to cause this issue. It is also the reason for this post in case someone else has this issue.
So pull the carbs again and measure the float height. Both are out of spec causing the fuel level to be too low in the float bowl.
This will cause everything to run lean and is why the needles needed to be pulled so high.

This was the first time I have ever seen an issue with the floats on this bike. While I believe that someone used a cleaner that caused damage, that is just a guess.
It might be time for them to start acting up.

In any case, if you suddenly have issue with lean running, it might be time to check your float height and yes it is a bit of a @#$%^ to do
These are Ca carbs with the exta vacuum take off.

Old 05-16-2018, 04:42 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
So ya think the chemical cleaner caused the plastic to deform? I can't really see too well in the pic.I mainly use one cleaner: