Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

O-rings between airbox and carbs

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 12:01 PM
Squid

Duck Tape is on a distinguished road
O-rings between airbox and carbs

Hi - I just got my first VTR1000F, so, Hello. I've had motorcycles since I was 12 (now 56), mostly dirtbikes, street standards and sport-tourers. The VTR is the sportiest bike I have had, hopefully I don't do something too stupid.

The bike is a 2001 with 29,000 kms, and from all indications it has never had any significant mechanical attention beyond oil changes (the oil I just changed was really black). The air cleaner element looks to be original (very dirty). Battery won't hold a charge, needs a boost to start. The funny part is it fires up immediately and seems to run fine. Credit to Honda engineering.

The tires are bald as hell, so other than a short test ride I took when I bought it a week ago it's been in my garage while I do some overdue maintenance and wait for new tires to arrive. I expect the honey-dew list will end up very long.

The throttle was 'gummy' (it wouldn't return to closed position on its own), and I assumed it was a problem with the cables, so I removed the airbox to disconnect the cables and free them up. Turns out the cables weren't the problem, it was just schmutz between the throttle tube and the handlebar that was gumming things up. Hence the saying about the word "assume", when I assumed the problem was with the throttle cables.

Now, my question. Having unnecessarily removed the airbox, the Honda repair manual says I should replace the O-rings between the airbox and the carbs. Problem is, that part seems to have been discontinued by Honda. The O-rings look fine, all in one piece and no obvious deterioration, though the profile has probably flattened over time. My inclination is just to leave them as-is and reinstall the airbox, but as I have been reading the posts and learning more about the bike I don't want to have missed something that would have been obvious to someone experienced with this bike (carb farts and what-not). Will it matter much if the seal between the airbox and carb is less than 100%? Should I apply a thin layer of liquid gasket material to the top of the O-ring so it seals to the airbox? Should I find a circular O-ring with the appropriate thickness (to sit slightly proud of the carb face) and circumference and try to fit into the channel in the carb?

Thanks for any useful advice.

Cheers,

Mark
Old 05-16-2018, 12:57 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Don't worry about it, just reuse the old ones, you will be just fine.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:44 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
^^ What he said, lol!
Old 05-16-2018, 04:47 PM
Back Marker

Floyd is on a distinguished road
I have remounted the air box maybe 5 times without replacing them. Its fine.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:52 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Duck Tape;406220

[b
Now, my question. Having unnecessarily removed the airbox, the Honda repair manual says I should replace the O-rings between the airbox and the carbs. Problem is, that part seems to have been discontinued by Honda. The O-rings look fine, all in one piece and no obvious deterioration, though the profile has probably flattened over time. My inclination is just to leave them as-is and reinstall the airbox, but as I have been reading the posts and learning more about the bike I don't want to have missed something that would have been obvious to someone experienced with this bike (carb farts and what-not). Will it matter much if the seal between the airbox and carb is less than 100%? Should I apply a thin layer of liquid gasket material to the top of the O-ring so it seals to the airbox? Should I find a circular O-ring with the appropriate thickness (to sit slightly proud of the carb face) and circumference and try to fit into the channel in the carb?

Thanks for any useful advice.

Cheers,

Mark
So two things...... so instead of just telling you "its ok" id say, inspected them, if not nicked, damaged, they are reusable.
And
They are available https://www.partzilla.com/product/ho...136b9bbcccdd15
$7.86 a piece, partzilla has one on hand and shows them available to order from the US distro place (I called and confirmed) and my other two OEM parts suppliers show them as a valid part number and available to request.

Last edited by E.Marquez; 05-16-2018 at 06:55 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:29 PM
Squid

Duck Tape is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the link to a source for the O-rings, for next time. I went ahead and reinstalled the airbox as-is. I couldn't think of a worse job than being the guy on the Honda manufacturing line that got to spend his days installing the hoses under the airbox and gas tank.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:29 PM
Back Marker

Floyd is on a distinguished road
I agree. With every bike ive worked on, the Superhawk carbs are a PITA to get on and off by comparison.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:38 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Not so bad after PAIR delete. Have you ever done carbed Viffers?