Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

missing cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 01:57 PM
Squid

hermes is on a distinguished road
missing cylinder

I have recently been experiencing a cylinder that will cease working while riding. It occurs intermittently. I replaced the coils but it still and it ran great for awhile but then, occurred again today while riding. Fuel lines are all clean and i cannot find any thing else related that would affect only one cylinder, when it happens I get major power loss bike drags on one cylinder for a few miles then picks back up. Could this be the computer or rectifier? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
thanks
aaron
Old 02-10-2008, 03:29 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Did you just fill the tank, do a wheelie, or brake hard right before this happened? Did it happen to be raining?

Next time this happens, pull over and open the tank filler. If it runs fine after that then you had vacuum lock in the tank. This is caused by blockage in the tank vent, usually by fuel (from the top) or rain (from the bottom), occasionally by a bug making a nest.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:20 PM
Squid

hermes is on a distinguished road
cyl. miss

Appreciate the suggestions Ill check that vent but none of those other conditions apply. I was cruising straight about 80mph then one cyl. just cuts off sometimes for a couple of miles. It doesnt feel like it loses fuel, like it bogs down first, the cut out is concise.
Today I was able to pull over pretty quick I turned the eng. off restarted a few times with same result, then a few min. later it was fine and I rode about 30 miles home with no further problems.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:44 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Sounds like an electrical gremlin then. Try checking/cleaning all the connection on the ignition circuit.