Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Mass. tool renting?

Old 02-29-2008, 06:06 AM
Back Marker

smack doogle is on a distinguished road
Mass. tool renting?

Looking to get chain and sprockets and APE CCT in the next few weeks and wonder if there is anywhere in Mass. to rent a chain tool. I only need it to rivet the master link. Basically because I'm to cheap to buy the damn thing. I'll dremel off the old chain. If anyone is bored and you have the tool I'll pick ya up and provide beer. I live on Hanscom AFB.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:35 AM
Superstock

MarineHawk is on a distinguished road
I dunno about there, but you might try going into your local shop with the chain apart and ready to be put back together. I know mine has done that sort of thing free of charge.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:56 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by MarineHawk
I dunno about there, but you might try going into your local shop with the chain apart and ready to be put back together. I know mine has done that sort of thing free of charge.
I thought if I did that it would be impossible to get the chain over the sprockets on the bike. You are talking about walking into a shop with just the chain right? Then bring the connected chain home and puting it onto the bike or did I miss something.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:30 PM
Back Marker

434josh is on a distinguished road
I believe he was just talking about using their "chain breaker" for getting the correct length. The master link requires no tools other than a little patience and putting it on in the right direction. Depending on your sprocket size, you may have to remove a link or 3.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:54 PM
Superstock

MarineHawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 434josh
I believe he was just talking about using their "chain breaker" for getting the correct length.
Yeah, I'm not always coherent at 6:30 in the morning, but what he said. I did what I could beforehand, new chain, measured out the appropriate number of links, etc etc, then went in and they let me borrow their breaker for a bit. Then again, I do have a better relationship with my shop than most, but it's worth asking if you can't find anyone willing to travel for beer.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:08 PM
Back Marker

I have a dremel so I'll be breaking my own chain that's on the bike now. The chain I'm ordering is 102 links so it'll be ready to connect when I get it.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:59 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
IIRC the stock length chain will fit the 15/43 sprocket change. The fitment is just like a bicycle - you push the axle forward and disengage the chain from it.

The front sprocket is fixed so you work from the back forward.

In most cases you have to remove the brake caliper to get enough travel.

DiD might offer the whole kit - chain and sprockets in one box. Don't grind it off. Spraying your bike with metal frag is not a good idea
Old 02-29-2008, 06:06 PM
Back Marker

I'm cheap so I'm going with JT sprockets (stock 16/41) and RK 530XSO 102 link all from Motorcycle Pro Shop for around $137.00. The cheapest full "kits" were around $170 and none of them came with the correct number of links in the chain IIRC. There wont be much metal frag since I'm only grinding off the ends off the rivet then pushing them out on the old chain to break it. So, basically I can connect the chain before I put it on the bike because I'll be able to move the back wheel up enough to slide it over the rear sprocket? If true that would be easier.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:53 PM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
A Dremel works fine for removal. If you are not using a master link, you will not be able to install the chain if you stake the rivets without it looped past the swing arm. Unless you remove the swing arm, of course. The Motion Pro works great.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:54 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
If you can get a clip-type master and install it in the interim, you can then take the rivet master to the shop and slip the tech a $10.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:19 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by thetophatflash
If you are not using a master link, you will not be able to install the chain if you stake the rivets without it looped past the swing arm. Unless you remove the swing arm, of course.
This is not true on a VTR. While it is true you can't do this with a bike that has a "standard" frame, the VTR's swingarm mounted to the motor allows you to just remove the nut from the left side of the swingarm mounting bolt, remove the foot peg assy. and you're good to go, no problems.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:27 AM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smack doogle
I thought if I did that it would be impossible to get the chain over the sprockets on the bike. You are talking about walking into a shop with just the chain right? Then bring the connected chain home and puting it onto the bike or did I miss something.

I just replaced stock rear sprocket with a 43 and it's no problem. Pulled the axle, pushed the wheel foward and picked the chain off the sprocket. Pulled out the wheel, changed sprocket, put wheel back in place- pushed it foward- fit chain over sprocket and reinstalled the axle. Whole thing took about ten minutes.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:31 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by RK1
I just replaced stock rear sprocket with a 43 and it's no problem. Pulled the axle, pushed the wheel foward and picked the chain off the sprocket. Pulled out the wheel, changed sprocket, put wheel back in place- pushed it foward- fit chain over sprocket and reinstalled the axle. Whole thing took about ten minutes.
Really? That sounds very nice, maybe I'll try that.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:49 AM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smack doogle
Really? That sounds very nice, maybe I'll try that.

Yeah, as long as your sprockets aren't bigger than 16 and 43, the standard length 102 link chain should go over the rear sprocket without having to break it and put it together again. My well maintained chain has 9-10k miles on it but it fit over the new sprocket real easy so I'm sure even a new chain would fit no problem.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:41 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by RK1
Yeah, as long as your sprockets aren't bigger than 16 and 43, the standard length 102 link chain should go over the rear sprocket without having to break it and put it together again. My well maintained chain has 9-10k miles on it but it fit over the new sprocket real easy so I'm sure even a new chain would fit no problem.
Thanks RK1. I'll definitely be going this route.