Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

lower my superhawk

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 04:10 PM
Squid

waterbug89 is on a distinguished road
lower my superhawk

alright got the bike running going to tear it down to paint also want to lower it, found the stuff to lower the rear what about the front?
Old 01-11-2011, 04:17 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just_Nick is on a distinguished road
Are you so short that you can't flat-foot, or what makes you want to mess up the suspension to lower it?
Old 01-11-2011, 04:46 PM
Back Marker

Cyfac0183 is on a distinguished road
WOAH- I am 5' 7" on a good day- and i can't flat foot the superhawk with corbin seat- I would NEVER EVER consider lowering it- that'll mess up everything- and no one is shorter than me.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:46 PM
Squid

yes i am 5'5 have ridden dirt bikes my life and tired of being on my toes found a link for the rear wich i would think will not change my suspension becaus the shock should not bottom the bike out just dont know about the front
Old 01-11-2011, 04:49 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by waterbug89
alright got the bike running going to tear it down to paint also want to lower it, found the stuff to lower the rear what about the front?
Slamming a Hawk generally has very bad consequences in the handling department. Steering geometery is something you don't really want to play with unless you have a very good understanding of the effects. Besides, you can already scrape your pipes if you get into a turn good, why move into "grind a hole through them" territory?
Old 01-11-2011, 04:51 PM
Squid

thanks for the input just kind of curious it would be nice, can ride the bike anyway but holy **** it would be nice to be able to flat foot it.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:54 PM
Squid

yeh i think we will leave it alone unless i see some real good info on here thanks again
Old 01-11-2011, 04:55 PM
SuperBike

thanks for the input just kind of curious it would be nice, can ride the bike anyway but holy **** it would be nice to be able to flat foot it.
Look into making the stock seat even less comfortable by removing some padding. You could replace it with a gel insert and hardly ever notice the difference.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:43 PM
Back Marker

Cyfac0183 is on a distinguished road
okay- he is shorter than me- but barely-
Old 01-11-2011, 06:23 PM
SuperSport

ranchomice is on a distinguished road
I'm 5'9" and can't flat foot. It's never been a problem.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:59 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just_Nick is on a distinguished road
Yea, I would much rather not have any problems with handling than be able to flat-foot.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:26 AM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
i raised my seat up when i swapped tails and at 6'1 i cant flat foot my bike. its not that big of a deal, just push your *** off the side a little more when you stop, plus youre suppoed to keep your right foot on the brake when you stop anyway. lowering it as mentioned will cause you to scrap hard parts. i nearly dragged my stocked pegs on the street and my aftermarkets which have a tapered cut have been ground on the track along with my boot toes.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:54 AM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
Lots of folks lower sport bikes. You can lower the front by simply sliding the forks up through the triple trees farther. as long as you're not riding aggressively, you should not notice a great deal of difference in handling. Just be sure to take some time to get used to it.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:28 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
No tank slappers when you did that?
Old 01-12-2011, 08:14 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
If you search for "lowering links" you will find a lot on this forum who have done it, however you will also find a few that have crashed because of it.

lowering the front up to half an inch (1cm) is done by some to speed up handling, but more than that is trouble, and the rear is usually raised to improve handling (adding a spacer)

Really, it's probably best to not lower the rear if you can avoid it.

A friend recently got a 06 GSXR1000 in a trade that had been lowered front and rear and the swingarm extended 8 inches. I rode that to the garage to put it back to stock, that ride was terrifying. It handled like an extremely raked chopper. At speed it almost would not turn, and when slow it wanted to fall over at the slightest excuse.

If course that is an extreme example, but messing with the suspension can have bad results.

I have not seen anyone do it, but I would think modifying the subframe and leaving the suspension alone might be a safer way to lower the seat.

edit: if you do want to do it and maintain as much handling as possible, I suggest you contact Jamie at DMr: http://www.daughertymotorsports.com/ he would know how to do it right.

Last edited by lazn; 01-12-2011 at 08:21 AM.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:49 AM
SuperBike

Hooligan!

Originally Posted by r80gsman
none that i could remember, and i had it in the triple digits lane splitting school traffic on hwy64 out of Lake Toxaway NC. i got a ticket on that run. the only ticket i have ever gotten on a bike.. did not see the HP hiding in the bushes and went by at 80, he got up set because i did not slow down which is customary for the bike to do when u see an officer and they don't bother us. he chased me for over 10 mile only seeing me on a mile long strait.. he got me with a Lazar sideways in a schecane. i slowed down the last mile to the shop, let the tires cool before hitting the gravel drive. he pulled me when i got to the shop. he was mad.. he passed 15 cars to keep up with me at over 100mpr. the only thing that saved me from going to jail was that a sherrif showed up and valtched for me, that i did not see the HP. and jokingly said that if i had, the HP would have never caught me. i know most of the cops and HP around here, most are ok guys. i don't ride that way any more. i sold that bike 3 days later, at a request from my mom(which used to drag race triumphs at the track in the late 60s and early 70).. the SH is the first modern sport bike since then.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:35 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by uchi
i raised my seat up when i swapped tails and at 6'1 i cant flat foot my bike. its not that big of a deal, just push your *** off the side a little more when you stop, plus youre suppoed to keep your right foot on the brake when you stop anyway. lowering it as mentioned will cause you to scrap hard parts. i nearly dragged my stocked pegs on the street and my aftermarkets which have a tapered cut have been ground on the track along with my boot toes.
+1
I didn't even think about it but, I usually stop and only put down my left foot anyway. Then when it's time to go, I pull my right up and kick it in gear with the left.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:50 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Yeah, the duck waddle is pretty funny looking anyway... saw a guy on a Hyabusa doing it in rush hour traffic the other day. Like he needed training wheels for anything below 10 mph haha
Old 01-12-2011, 03:51 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by ranchomice
+1
I didn't even think about it but, I usually stop and only put down my left foot anyway. Then when it's time to go, I pull my right up and kick it in gear with the left.
Poor riding skills. You need to stay in gear at the stop lights until the car behind you has come to a complete stop and be ready to dodge out of the way in case they don't. Many people are rear ended at traffic lights due to "didn't see him" or other distracted driving factors such as cell phone use or texting while driving.

I lost my 1198S to a 17 year old teenager who didn't stop because she was texting, I couldn't move fast enough even on a Ducati to get out of her way.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:42 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by RWhisen
Poor riding skills. You need to stay in gear at the stop lights until the car behind you has come to a complete stop and be ready to dodge out of the way in case they don't. Many people are rear ended at traffic lights due to "didn't see him" or other distracted driving factors such as cell phone use or texting while driving.

I lost my 1198S to a 17 year old teenager who didn't stop because she was texting, I couldn't move fast enough even on a Ducati to get out of her way.
Poor riding skills? You mean technique? It depends if there is already someone stopped behind me, if I have split lanes, how many lanes, light or sign, etc. etc. After reading my post, what I typed would be impossible because at one point there, I wouldn't have either foot on the ground. I guess I should have described that better, in case someone wanted to judge "riding skills" by a post about not flat footing. If it is a light, nobody is stopped behind me yet, I do stay in gear, but I also watch my mirrors and "tap" my brakes as someone approaches to be more noticable. I guess the main point was, (despite a poor/misrepresented description) being able to flat foot at a stop is not a total necessity.

Last edited by ranchomice; 01-12-2011 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:46 AM
Superstock

Mattaua is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by r80gsman
none that i could remember, and i had it in the triple digits lane splitting school traffic on hwy64 out of Lake Toxaway NC...
man thats a nice ride! beautiful up there
Old 01-13-2011, 02:49 AM
SuperBike

Poor riding skills? You mean technique? It depends if there is already someone stopped behind me, if I have split lanes, how many lanes, light or sign, etc. etc. After reading my post, what I typed would be impossible because at one point there, I wouldn't have either foot on the ground. I guess I should have described that better, in case someone wanted to judge "riding skills" by a post about not flat footing. If it is a light, nobody is stopped behind me yet, I do stay in gear, but I also watch my mirrors and "tap" my brakes as someone approaches to be more noticable. I guess the main point was, (despite a poor/misrepresented description) being able to flat foot at a stop is not a total necessity.
This happened a few days before Christmas to me and as you might be able to tell I am still just a bit pissed about this not to mention still recovering from being thrown over the pickup truck that my bike landed in. The Ducati was a total loss, I survived with three herniated discs in my back, dislocated hip, shoulder and various other maladies. It tore up my Joe Rocket riding suit and cracked my Shoei. Insurance company made a full settlement for bike and gear and have paid all medical so far after their initial low-ball offer. I gave them the number for my attorney and they decided to cover all including wages.

I hate to see someone potentially have the same problems that I do. Sorry if it came across as "judging" however the pain meds help me type drivel sometimes.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:35 AM
SuperSport

Glad you are still with us RWhisen, herniated discs affect you the rest of your life. I know, not from a crash but from an injury at work. My friend was rear ended not long ago and it has made me even more aware at stops!
Old 01-13-2011, 12:17 PM
SuperBike

Glad you are still with us RWhisen, herniated discs affect you the rest of your life. I know, not from a crash but from an injury at work. My friend was rear ended not long ago and it has made me even more aware at stops!
+1,000,000,000,000!!!!!

I have one herneated, one bulging and one torn. makes track days interesting.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:52 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
You might want to read this:
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...highlight=rake

as it will explain the basics of what you are really doing when you start changing things around.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:46 PM
SuperBike

mine is lower back too. L3-4, L4-5, L5-S1. I screwed things up when younger doing construction and sports and it's gradually gotten worse as I've aged.

So, now we've gone from lowering bikes to degenerating backs. That's a pretty good hijack!