Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Low Fuel Light question

Old 05-17-2010, 01:42 PM
Superstock

maverick is on a distinguished road
Low Fuel Light question

I was looking to wire up a low fuel light on my hawk, but I've never had one. It looks like they're an LED on the 98-00 model... but they have three leads. Is it a muticolor led? Like green when you have fuel and red when you don't? Thanks a lot.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:47 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
It's a resistance sensor connected to a curcuitboard in the stock gauges... Without that you wont have much use out of the sensor...
Old 05-17-2010, 06:41 PM
Superstock

maverick is on a distinguished road
really? It was my understanding that before 98 it was simply one led, not a fuel gauge, and the schematic in the manual simply shows an led.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:06 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Yes, its just one LED...

But it's 12V going through a resistor in the tank that senses not being in the gas, going too the gauges where a small board drives the resistor... The LED does not like 12V and making the circuit to have a change in resistance turn on a LED means you will need new LED's fairly regularily as they will go POP! They aren't too fond of changing voltage... Or you need at the very least a transistor in there and some other parts... I can probably make the circuit fairly easy... (It's my work to design circuits, on a whole different scale though)...

If you look in the exploded view of the gauges in the first page of the "lights/meters" part of the service manual you see a small circuit board wedged between the two clocks... Thats the RLOD circuit...