Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

low fuel light question

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 07:57 AM
Squid

ima98chickenhawk is on a distinguished road
low fuel light question

ok so we are all aware of the kryptonite that is our small fuel supply. keeping this in mind i am about to begin the task of turning my sh into a fighter. i am going to remove my stock cluster and was wondering if i could remove the led from the cluster and continue to use it.. anyone have any experince with this or should i just play around with it and find out for myself?

-nick
Old 05-01-2010, 09:39 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
AFAIK there is a small circuitboard wedged in between the two clocks in the gauge cluster connected to the RLOD LED... I haven't investigated it further, but since neither the RLOD or the circuit is connected to anything else I'm fairly certain that the sensor to read the resistance and turn on the RLOD at the right value is in that circuit... I'm guessing you could just power it with + and gnd and seal it up from weather and the RLOD would work as intended...

Just a theory though... You get to be the guinea pig...
Old 05-02-2010, 09:09 PM
Superstock

doomcookie is on a distinguished road
Hey Tweety what the size of my shoes. Just want to test your capabilities since you seem to know how much.. hahaha Tweety did you just took your cluster apart just for the heck of it?
Old 05-21-2010, 08:48 AM
Squid

hah thanks tweety you would be surprised that that was way mor info than i was expecting, thanks
Old 05-21-2010, 09:08 AM
MotoGP

Nah... I had the cluster apart to build in the gear indicator, fuelgauge and charging indicator into it...
Old 05-21-2010, 09:26 AM
Speed Demon
Superstock

crackerjackman is on a distinguished road
Any info on how you rigged in a fuel gauge??? Im interested in doing this to my bike. As well as a aftermarket temp gauge. You can PM me so that way we wont thread jack. Thanks

Philip
Old 05-21-2010, 10:11 AM
MotoGP

Well, since my PM box fills up every 3 hour or so I think I prefer a small thread jack...

Basically I used the sensor for the newer VTR, with a float and just swapped the old one out for the new one... Then I designed a small circuit for reading the resistance values and displaying it on 5 LED's and one LED for low... I'll gladly share the circuit drawing, but to have much use of it ones needs to know a fair bit of electronics, and be able to manufacture a PCB... I could build one and send to you though...

The PCB is roughly 1*1.5" and you can either have the LED's on it or on short wires, hiding the PCB in the back of the gauge...
Old 05-23-2010, 02:37 PM
Squid

jack away i got enough of an answer and i want to know 2.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:15 PM
ride it out
SuperSport

nothing is on a distinguished road
is there enough room in the cluster for the board you mention? i'd like to see a schematic or something to see what i would be getting into, if you don't mind me perhaps using your work for an indicator.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:20 PM
Speed Demon
Superstock

crackerjackman is on a distinguished road
Thanks Tweety. For the Float what did you use??? Does the 00 and under hawks have a float that triggers the RLOD?? and how much would you charge us on the forum for the lil circuit board???

Philip
Old 05-24-2010, 01:09 AM
MotoGP

97-00 uses a sensor, 01+ uses a float on an arm... Same mounting, same connector... Just turn the tank upside down and swap it...

Dunno about price, I'll have to do some math tonight and see what the parts add up too...
Old 05-24-2010, 09:48 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tweety
97-00 uses a sensor, 01+ uses a float on an arm... Same mounting, same connector... Just turn the tank upside down and swap it...

Dunno about price, I'll have to do some math tonight and see what the parts add up too...
It might be different with firestorms, but when we did that on YRUYUR's bike the float only got about half the movement because of the internal vent line in the tank.

To work around it you have to either modify the float arm or the tank. (we shortened and re-bent the float arm)
Old 05-28-2010, 07:04 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by crackerjackman
Thanks Tweety. For the Float what did you use??? Does the 00 and under hawks have a float that triggers the RLOD?? and how much would you charge us on the forum for the lil circuit board???

Philip
The cost of the board with the LED's on the board or on wires to make mounting easier would be $22... And obviuosly shipping... The board would be laquered so, moisture isn't a problem, but outright splashes is a bad idea, needs to be inside the gauge cluster or some other container to be protected...

If you want I can mould it into a potting compound, ie a black rubber block... No extra charge, makes it weatherproof, but needs to be mounted outside the original cluster, you get the fun of figuring that out...

Originally Posted by lazn
It might be different with firestorms, but when we did that on YRUYUR's bike the float only got about half the movement because of the internal vent line in the tank.

To work around it you have to either modify the float arm or the tank. (we shortened and re-bent the float arm)
I bent mine, didn't shorten it though...
Old 05-28-2010, 08:40 AM
Squid

Grasshopper is on a distinguished road
What kind of mileage are you guys getting after the reserve light comes on?
Old 05-28-2010, 03:37 PM
Squid

striker3034 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
What kind of mileage are you guys getting after the reserve light comes on?
I've taken it up to 25-30 miles after my light came on.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:25 AM
SuperSport

NZSpokes is on a distinguished road
The cost of the board with the LED's on the board or on wires to make mounting easier would be $22... And obviuosly shipping... The board would be laquered so, moisture isn't a problem, but outright splashes is a bad idea, needs to be inside the gauge cluster or some other container to be protected...

If you want I can mould it into a potting compound, ie a black rubber block... No extra charge, makes it weatherproof, but needs to be mounted outside the original cluster, you get the fun of figuring that out...

I bent mine, didn't shorten it though...
Can you send me the plan for this please? I know its an old thread but a gauge would be nice. And as 19L tanks are common here I would like to fit one with a gauge. I will try to find somebody to make it.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:57 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Nah... I had the cluster apart to build in the gear indicator, fuelgauge and charging indicator into it...
What ever happened to your gear indicator project we wanted you to build for a group buy?