Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Lost in a PAIR nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 08:18 PM
Squid

GTI4ME is on a distinguished road
Lost in a PAIR nightmare

Hi guys, I have been searching through the website tech section for hours and cant seem to find anyone with the same PAIR (or lack thereof) setup.
My bike is an Australian delivered '00 model VTR1000F (im pretty sure thats a superhawk) but I dont have any of the PAIR setup you guys are showing in the other threads regarding removal.
I have no reed valves or even blanking plates on my covers, and the PAIR valve in question is not on my air filter housing, so I assume its not fitted to my bike? However, in the pics below there is a hose on each carb that goes to just about level with the throttle butterfly, where there is a 90 degree metal fitting that it connects to. In the pics this hose appears cut and plugged, should I be doing this with mine?
The only reason I am looking at this is that the bike pops massivley on decel, I have staintune pipes on and an aftermarket air filter. I think it just needs a carb tune as the engine can apparently "lean out", and im just looking for someone with more experience than me to confirm please?
Cheers, David.

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...k%20Forum&txt=
http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...k%20Forum&txt=
Old 08-11-2014, 09:35 PM
Superstock

speedkelly@aol.com is on a distinguished road
Pictures look good for hose's.....Aftermarket air filter is mostly likely the issue. Install a stock OEM filter and your mostly likely see an improvement. One of the experts will chime in shortly I'm sure. There is a really good carb set-up thread on here. Lots on good info. Good luck.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:53 PM
Squid

Alrighty, so should I block both hoses at their ends, and then also block the 90 degree outlets on both carbs? I will be grabbing myself a replacement air cleaner tomorrow, no harm in trying that as well!
Old 08-11-2014, 10:04 PM
SuperSport

NZSpokes is on a distinguished road
If you bike never had the system then you dont need to block anything. But you may have an air leak which causes back fire. Easy way to find it is start the bike and let it get warm. Get a little spray bottle of water and spray it round the carbs. If the motor coughs or revs then you have found the leak at that point. Does sound like an air leak to me. Can you post a photo of your set up?
Old 08-11-2014, 10:35 PM
Squid

Have attached some pics. Well if I dont need to be looking at blocking anything off I will be putting the bike back together, and then I will try the water test to see if it coughs or revs on me.
Likewise, if you see something on the bike that isnt right please let me know, this is my first real bike and Im learning as I go along!
Cheers, David.
Attached Thumbnails Lost in a PAIR nightmare-img_2687.jpg   Lost in a PAIR nightmare-img_2688.jpg   Lost in a PAIR nightmare-img_2689.jpg  
Old 08-11-2014, 10:42 PM
SuperSport

NZSpokes is on a distinguished road
just put the tank on and hold it up with wood. Then squirt it with the airbox off. Easier to see then.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:56 PM
Superstock

Yep...there is no pair system on your bike....look at the last image...the casting in the center is where the pair reed go's....everything else looks normal....unless you have a small leak somewhere.... I would down load the Honda OEM service manual..its on this site somewhere.. it has really good images of all the hoses and how they work...once you have looked over them.. its pretty simple....good luck with the air filter fix..its not a cheap item! that's why most people go after market. But mostly they let in to much air.

Last edited by speedkelly@aol.com; 08-12-2014 at 01:09 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:08 PM
Superstock

here yo go... https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...-manual-11365/ looks at pages 87-107 ....this should give you a good idea. If you want to have a laugh look at pages 32-35..that's the crap we have to deal with here in California! it's all passive until it go's wrong. I think page 28 is about as close to what you have. Also page 96 show's the t-fitting that is capped on your bike. I believe that is correct. its all pretty simple really, just looks confusing. be careful with the choke cables where they connect into the carb body, they can break really easy.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:53 PM
Superstock

cybercarl is on a distinguished road
Yeh everything looks normal. You have a non paired VTR like the early UK models. Get a cap on your coolant expansion bottle though if you haven't one

Popping and banging could also be caused by a simple exhaust leak. The slightest leak will cause popping on deceleration. Use a heat resistant Silicone sealant for any leaky joints/seals.

(:-})