Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Nightmare, shop did engin swap bike runs like shit

Old 04-15-2012, 04:17 PM
Superstock

blamecanada is on a distinguished road
Nightmare, shop did engin swap bike runs like ****

Hey super hawkers,

A shop my friend recommended swapped in an engine for me after a CCT related failure and now the bike won't maintain steady state cruising at freeway speeds....if I open the throttle hard it accelerates fine but once I am at sixty or seventy if I try to maintain a steady speed or to keep constant throttle for corner entry the bike hesitates and comes off and on the power very very badly.

I brought it back to me several times...at first they reconnected the pair system but I still have the same issue...I got it back from them and tried adjusting the tps to five hundred ohms but the problem remains.

It looks to me like vacuum lines are connected but I am no expert, at this point I would love some suggestions on where to start.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:15 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Pair system will only do that if it half disconnected and leaves the airbox open. This shop should make good on it and get it running.

What are they claiming is the issue and how much did you pay them?

Oh yeah, what are they messing with the tps for? It is a non adjustable item and just bolts on. (yes you can adjust it if you break in but that doesn't count)
Old 04-15-2012, 09:48 PM
Superstock

Wow my apologies for the horrible grammar, I was in an drunken hurry to post this earlier...I had previously done the TPS modification from the KB article.

The pair system is connected up and there are no open holes into the airbox, and I agree they should make good but they seem incompetent and I don't want them to break anything else...there are fasteners changed out on the bike and things missing, it's a bit of a long story but basically I don't want them to touch it again.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:34 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
All you can do is methodically go through everything using the manual as reference in absence of any digital pics you could have taken if you'd done the job yourself.

Maybe someone nearby could pop over so you'll have a comparison of what goes where.

Was the new donor engine checked for compression, serviced etc. before it was implanted?

Check that the carb rubber inlet boots are secure and tight, and that all the connections to the airbox are likewise. Check front vacuum take off is blanked off and all hoses are secure and working.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:42 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Yeah, Wicky is right about that. Screwing up the petcock connections is a likely mistake and carb boots are important too.

There should be a drunk font on the forum so you can see slurred speech.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:13 AM
Squid

rocker4488 is on a distinguished road
sounds to me like dirty carbs and/or a bad sync.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:24 AM
Superstock

speedkelly@aol.com is on a distinguished road
Nick,

I can help out if you want? Either bring it over to my place or I can maybe come to you. Just PM me or give me a call. Steve
Old 04-16-2012, 09:34 AM
Superstock

thanks Steve, the shop owner convinced me to let them have one more look at it; I'm hoping they can resolve the issue
Old 04-16-2012, 09:34 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Yeah I agree with these guys, if one little hose isn't fully sealed or the carb boots aren't seated properly they can create real phantom problems that are hard to chase.

Make sure your choke assembly is working properly all the way to where it connects to the carbs, make sure the airbox/crankcase hoses are all seated fully down. Double check that nothing is blocking the intake on your airbox where it sits in the frame (THAT one was a weird one for me, haha!). PVLIR can cause a lot of issues.

Double check that your plugs and wires are seated fully.