Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Leaking CCT Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 10:01 AM
Squid

SloBlue is on a distinguished road
Leaking CCT Anyone?

I installed APE manual cct's this past summer and they're great, but...

The rear one that is angled downward is leaking quite a bit of oil and dripping down onto the rear of the engine case and the tail pipe.

Is anyone else having this problem and how did you fix it?

I think the oil is coming from around the adjustment bolt, not from under the base of the cct.

Thanks.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:43 AM
Superstock

sheldonsl is on a distinguished road
Holy CRAP! This is a brand new problem with the Hawk. I'm adding this one to my list of Superhawk defects. Any lawyers on here want to take on a class action suit against Honda? By the way, I don't have any decent input on your problem. Sorry.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:51 AM
SuperSport

mboe794 is on a distinguished road
Back it out. Apply some teflon tape or other sealant out of a tube/bottle. Turn in back in.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:55 AM
aja
SuperSport

aja is on a distinguished road
Sheldon, I'm a law student, and there are no grounds for any kind of suit for faulty equipment. If that equipment caused you to get injured and Honda had prior knowledge that it could cause injuries then yes, there COULD be a case. But shitty designs and engineering aren't illegal. Plus, this thread is about aftermarket ccts, how would Honda be liable?

As for the ape leaking at the bolt, try putting some silicone or rtv gasket sealer around where the bolt goes into the ape base. I did this for my homemade ccts just to be sure and I'm not seeing any leaks. Did you clean off the old gasket material really well before installing the ape?
Old 12-23-2011, 11:19 AM
Superstock

speedkelly@aol.com is on a distinguished road
Lets sue you!

Hmm, being that you are a law student, and hopefully soon to be a practicing Lawyer. Can we sue you for the any bad legal information you have given here?

Hmmm. lets see! you advised said client not to sue Honda or Ape for a potentially life threating mechanical failure?

1/ How do expect to make any money with advice like this?

2/ Client can now sue you for your bad advice.

3/ We should also sue "mboe794" for his highly dangerous method of repair said "defect"

4/ Also I believe by hosting this forum, and allowing us free and easy access to helpful ways to maintain and repair our bikes.
Sorry that should read "deadly dangerous, poorly thought out bodges" should also be sued!

Sue! sue!

Ok its a very slow day at the office!. I'm bored. waiting to catch a flight to Greensboro NC to spend Xmas with the family.

Merry Christmas to all you Bikers.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:23 AM
MandownMertech
Superstock

mertechperformance is on a distinguished road
Truth be told one could NOT sue Honda for it as the aftermarket APE's had been installed. One could TRY and possibly win a lawsuit against APE however.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:33 AM
Superstock

speedkelly@aol.com is on a distinguished road
Truth be! you can sue anyone for anything? It may not get you anywhere!
Old 12-23-2011, 12:20 PM
aja
SuperSport

Speedkelly, true, you can sue anyone for anything, but that doesn't mean you will win.

I didn't give legal advice, as that is illegal (known as Unauthorized Practice of Law in the industry) if you are not a BAR licensed attorney.

And I don't see grounds for a suit against ape. Their product works as described, any defects caused by improper installation are the responsibility of the consumer. I just finished my business contracts law and we covered liability for products, most boring **** I've ever done.

But if anyone does get hurt, contact me, I start as a paralegal for a personal injury firm in Feb
Old 12-23-2011, 01:15 PM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
I've practised law in Ontario, Canada for more than 30 years. One thing I learned is: Don't go to court unless you're paid to be there. No one whether a plaintiff, a defendant, an accused person or a victim of crime has said after their case has been concluded: "That was great. I can't wait to do it again." Sorry for the thread jack.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:21 PM
aja
SuperSport

Originally Posted by comedo
I've practised law in Ontario, Canada for more than 30 years. One thing I learned is: Don't go to court unless you're paid to be there. No one whether a plaintiff, a defendant, an accused person or a victim of crime has said after their case has been concluded: "That was great. I can't wait to do it again." Sorry for the thread jack.
+1. Alternative dispute resolution is the way to go. Your pride might make you want to stick it out, but that only costs money and even if you win, the losig party isn't always responsible for your court fees.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:22 PM
Superstock

sheldonsl is on a distinguished road
Court sucks, I agree. It's not like on TV at all. I don't know how the lawyers stay awake.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:29 PM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
I have a custom set of manuall cct's from forum member RideronaStorm. The rear one leaks pretty bad, when I recently did a valve adjustment I backed the bolt out some, applied some RTV ultra grey I think(ultra black would be better-high oil resistance). Ive ridden maybe 100 miles and the rear cct bolt is nice and dry
Old 12-24-2011, 06:08 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Seriously? Sheldon, will you please stop bashing Superhawks? You don't like 'em, we know it, please just move on to scooter forum. You just scour threads to inject your negativity. Just sayin!!

Back on topic

To the OP, I replaced my OE's w/ manuals and developed the same small leak. Mine just needed re-tightened. I removed one bolt at a time and reapplied thread locker tightening them even more the second time.
Old 12-24-2011, 03:44 PM
Just hangin' out
Back Marker

klx678 is on a distinguished road
Oil weeps out the threads, silicone seal is the trick if they do. I use O-ring seals in the ones I make. It works if the squeeze is right. My one bike is dry, the other has a tiny amount on the adjuster after several thousand miles. When in doubt, back off the locking nut clean the threads with some contact cleaner or the like to get off the oil, smear on a bit of silicone seal after cleaning the threads and snug down the locking nut.